Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: To sing or not to sing.....!  (Read 48288 times)

dulciana

To sing or not to sing.....!
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »

I said in an earlier thread that my cat loves music (well, except for Mahler 3!).  What I didn't say was that she absolutely hates me singing!  Whenever I sing or even just hum, at best, she gives me a funny look and at worst, she sort-of hits me with her paw, as if to say "Stop that awful noise!"  She's just done it again, after I hummed along to something on youtube.  It's embarrassing!

Now, she doesn't do this if anyone else sings, be they famous or just one of the family.  That could have something to do with the fact that quite a few of the family are good singers.  And admittedly, the time when she lay in my arms gazing at the ceiling as she listened to Schubert lieder, the singer on that occasion was Dietrich Fischer Dieskau!  But my own singing voice, although small, isn't that bad!  Maybe it is............  ???    She's fine if I play, though.

Ju Ju, if you're reading this, I'm sure she'd be much more polite to you if you sang!!

D.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:10:22 PM by dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: To sing or not to sing.....!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

When I played a recorder, the moment I got the instrument out of my music bag the JR would howl …….. I didn't even need to put it to my lips  ;D

You carry on singing.  Music is the food of love  ;) ……..

Maybe if you sing in the shower ………..  :P

Our JR didn't like alcohol either …….. if I put a glass even empty near her she would turn her head  :D

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

:D    We always know just where we are with animals!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »

Your cat may think you are in pain if she is not used to you singing. To her you are doing something out of character and it worries her?  DG x

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

That's a point - hadn't thought of that, Dancinggirl.   I had begun to think she might be in pain listening to me (!), but maybe it's the other way round...........

Thanks!

D.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »

;D  we did talk about having a menopause choir .......... have you tried humming instead?

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »

If we had a choir, we could call ourselves The Mood Swingers, or maybe The Hormonisers..........any other ideas, anyone?
D.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »

;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »

Ju Ju, if you're reading this, I'm sure she'd be much more polite to you if you sang!!

Hi just perusing before GS wakes up. My singing teachers cat usually wanders in when I have a lesson, but he is more interested in joining in the accompaniment on the piano than taking any notice of my singing! Ju Ju

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

A true ensemble player!
 :cat88:
D.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »

Here we are - maybe we could all join in ?

Padine

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »

Singing is so good for you, gets the breath moving in your lungs, helps your concentration, is excellent for mental health, and you can move physically as much or as little as you want! I sing with a Facebook Musical theatre choir every Monday night and it's the best hour of the week for me right now.

Interestingly, my cat hates the sound of the piano being played and miaows as if she is one half of the Cat Duet! Seriously, she has always done this and it's as though she is in real pain..................and I think she may be, I'll explain. Since February I've had hearing aids and everything was going well, until I played the piano and the squealing in both ears was excruciating. I turned hearing aids off and all was well again. I had a check-up appointment in March and told the audiology nurse about this and she said yes, that my high-frequency hearing is very good, it's the every day + low frequency sounds I can't hear well enough. So maybe my darling cat really is in pain with my piano sound after all? I will never ignore her again.

For want of a venue for our Mood Swingers, how about we each choose a "Song of the Day" and we can find that song on Youtube or CD, or play for ourselves as we singalong? Hoping that's a resounding YES! Can I kick us off with "Sing a Rainbow" ( Red and yellow and pink and green.............)  and we'll report back tomorrow?

Happy singing
                                            Padine xx

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:16:49 PM by Padine »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 06:56:59 PM »

Do U keep in touch via Zoom or equivalent?

Padine

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »

My Monday choir is hosted by the conductor/pianist through his mobile phone onto Facebook. He has set up the link (he's a whizz at techy stuff!) He sees who is online and we see comments of the other singers, but can't see anyone else.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »

So you don't have to get out of jimjams then  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3