Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: BCC on my face..need surgery  (Read 28282 times)

purplenanny

Re: BCC on my face..need surgery
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »

;D

All of it! I am just being stupid and need to pull myself together! People have been through so much worse.

Getting there in the first place will be hard. I have a phobia of needles and hate hospitals, which came about from unexpectedly seeing my Mum with all sorts plugged into her in hospital. No-one warned me and I was only 15. Sadly we lost her, which also affects the whole 'hospital' experience.

Then I guess it is the scarring and not knowing how big/deep it will be and how long before it fades

I know I will be fine and I am telling myself that all the time. Mind over matter and all that. I am a very strong willed person and I will be ok, I just can't stop worrying at the moment and my brain is working overtime with all the 'what if' scenarios...what if the surgeon has a bad day, what if it goes wrong, what if it doesn't heal, what if I get MRSA.  Nightmare! So,I am trying to keep busy with other things and keep myself calm.

I realise how pathetic I am sounding, but thank you for listening! x x

Thanks for the info links silverlady - very detailed. The 'shaving' part made me chuckle, they talk about pre-surgery hair removal rather than the technique!!

purplenanny

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Hi ellie and thank you.

May I ask how big your BCC was and how big is your scar - did it take long to fade? x x  Why the black eye? did you fight the surgeon? :o x x

Joyce

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »

Heavens no, you're not being stupid! Nothing wrong with your fears at all PN. Things like that scare me too. We can't stop our brains working overtime. Let the surgeon & his team know your fears beforehand. They will have seen & heard it all before, I'm sure, and will be able to answer most, if not all your questions.  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »

You are certainly not being 'silly' about your worries!  You could have a word with the Secretary and find out the chance of MRSA during this type of surgery.  Or the Ward Sister.  Perhaps the Hospital has a page on it's web-site stating their MRSA incidences?

I found that the only time my skin didn't heal well was when I was undergoing radiation treatment and for 6-8 months after, even a small scratch would take weeks  ::) because my body was already under stress.  Skin regenerates but sometimes it can take longer than 'usual'.

Dyan

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »

Purplenanny  :bighug:

Love Dyan
X

purplenanny

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »

Oh dear - I have just read my newspaper from Wednesday and there is this lady who went on a sunbed every day for half an hour (for years) and has just had a BCC removed - scar from eye to mouth - 29 stitches!!. I know mine is nowhere near that large , but it was the bit she said about the 'burning flesh smell' when they were operating and the bruising. The sooner this is over and done the better I think :( PN x x

kes

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »

Try not to fret - there will be no "burning flesh"!    On point about the Mohs surgery - it is quite lengthy - as they have to go away and look at each layer of skin as they remove it apparently - ie a mini biopsy - so personally I would not want that - I want it over and done with in 15-20 minutes which is what will be happening with the traditional excision method.  I have not had the Mohs but I knew someone who had.

purplenanny

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »

thank you kes, yes I agree and feel the same - the quicker the better!! x x

honeybun

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »

Stop googling, there are always that kind of story out there.

Have you considered a course of arnica tablets. They really help with bruising.
My sister had keyhole surgery on both knees at the same time. Her surgeon was so impressed with the lack of deep bruising and told her he was going to recommend them to all his patients. Perhaps also a short course of echanacia to boost your immune system.

:hug:

I think you are very brave and I just know you will come through with flying colours.

Honeyb
x

purplenanny

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »

Thanks for the good advice HB, I will do that.  I wasn't googling on that occasions, I just opened the newspaper and it was there! ::) but yes, I will stop searching for answers now and try to take my mind off it. :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »

Nice cuppa. Bubble bath.  Magazines ……...

purplenanny

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »

Operation tomorrow and trying to keep calm. I am really quite worried but putting on a brave face so as not to worry hubby. A good thing as otherwise I would be in pieces
early appointent so will be over and home by lunchtime
forgot to take the arnica and echinacia..is it too late HB?
PN x x

honeybun

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »

Probably a little bit  ;D

Just think, this time tomorrow you will be home sitting in your favourite chair with your feet up and being very spoiled.
I hope everything goes really well for you. Let us know how you get on and we will all be sending you positive thoughts.

:foryou:

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »

Good Luck!  Once you get there you will be fine!

purplenanny

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »

Thank you both. I agree the waiting is the worst bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7