Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: BCC on my face..need surgery  (Read 28288 times)

purplenanny

Re: BCC on my face..need surgery
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »

I believe they are cutting it out
According to his online profile he  is a maxillofacial surgeon with 35 yrs experience and I have had it confirmed he always completes his own list of patients, none are passed to one of the team. I checked this out as the letter stated it like that and it worried me
hopefully I will be in good hands :-\ PN x x

Sarah2

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »

sounds as if you are in good hands- hope it goes well.

xx

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »

purplenanny plastic surgeons (especially a maxillofacial surgeon)  a are very skilled especially any surgery on the face, once the scar has knitted together one tip is to use Vitamin E on the scar, using a natural vitamin E capsule ( d not dl that's important) ask at the health shop. Piece  the capsule and smooth on the scar, facial skin is different to the rest of the body and heals quickly with less scaring.

Don't worry about the injection even if he doesn't use Emla cream to numb the area (you have to put it on about 15-20 mins before injection)) , the needles they use are so fine that its like a pin **** and the numbing of the area is very quick.

I think the skin cream you had to put of other lesions might have been a type of Vitamin C cream (google it)

The worrying before is worse then the procedure purplenanny.

Sarah2

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

Bio oil is very good for scars.

My mum had a long scar on her neck after an op and bio oil helped a lot.

kes

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »

Hi again - I will try to answer your questions:

I had two BCCs on my back and one on my abdomen.  I also had a biopsy on my nose - which involved removing a little bit of skin and I must admit the injection for that was painful - mainly because it was on bone.  I don't think it would have been that painful on my cheek - no worse than a dental injection.

My BCCs were all about 5mm across.  The scars are a few centimetres.  I think when they send what they remove away for biopsy they can tell if they got it all or not - they always have on mine.

I did not have a numbing cream, but as you say, you can ask for it.  Each procedure took about 20 minutes or so.  One time I had two done (a BCC and a mole) and the surgeon let a student do one of them (with my permission) - he was so grateful and kind but VERY slow.  I know you won't have that problem!!

You can remove the dressing after 48 hours.  The most recent one I had done, I had internal stitches ie put in UNDER the skin - they dissolve and don't have to be removed.  I was doubtful about these, but would definitely have them again.  They don't itch have as much as external ones - are not sore, and you don't have to go back to have them taken out.  If you do have external stitches, I put a bit of germolene cream on them if they are itchy and sore.

The bumpy bits settle after a few months, but I think on your face they would be taking extra care not to create bumpy bits.  They really are very skilled.  My husband had a mole removed from his chin because he was always cutting it, shaving.  I can't even see the scar now - he had it done in 2009 and after a few months the scar was invisible.

If you have any other questions I can help with, please let me know. Best of luck with your procedure, I'm sure it will be fine!

purplenanny

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

Thank you kes for answering all of my questions, you have been very helpful.

I do have bio oil Sarah, my hubby uses it on his dry skin, thank you for suggesting

silverlady , thank you for your reassurance - I just wish I could stop thinking about it! :-\ I have looked up about the procedure and the mohs surgery is recommended, but this particular surgeon does not use that method. But he is very experienced and as you say, skilled, so I should be ok. I guess he just cuts, as opposed to scraping. Do you have knowledge of this? Interesting re skin on the face healing faster, I did not know that. I will get some of the vitamin E you suggest, thank you. PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »

The tiny blood vessels which aid healing are closer to the surface in the face/ears/neck which is why head wounds can be messy.  Do you have an appt yet?

purplenanny

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »

Hi CLKD, yes it is the 4th March !!!! 8.45 in the morning, which is great as I would hate to wait til the afternoon
x x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

Sorry if I missed that  ::) - I would hate to have to wait until afternoon  ;)

Cassie

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a bcc? Is it some sort of skin lesion? Hope that all goes well with your surgery PN :) x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »

basel cell carcinoma

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »

Here is some info purplenanny  http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/skin/vitaminE/

But I would hang on before buying or applying vitamin E until you have asked your surgeon, he might not agree. Its best not to put anything on until the skin has started to knit together. My PS said that its all about keeping scar massaged and supple, and even Vaseline can do this.

I have used natural Vit E, I did not like Bio oil.

Skin start to knit together within 48 hours  http://www.pilonidal.org/_assets/pdf/mgmt_surg_wounds.pdf

but they can use a laser knife to staunch bleeding , I have had this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:59:38 AM by silverlady »

purplenanny

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »

No, you didn't miss it CLKD - first time mentioned.  The !!!!! related to my fear !::)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »

I know how it feels to be facing surgery (no pun intended) - been there, done it and survived  ;)  :hug:  what scares you the most?

ellie

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »

Also been there done that, got the scar on cheek to prove it.
   Be prepared to have a nice black eye after surgery (well I did) .
Mine was done 15years ago and all was fine......So please try not to worry.... :foryou:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7