Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: uti  (Read 10737 times)

Anjia

uti
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »

I have just finished a second course of antibiotics for a uti but still feel like I need to wee all the time. I only have to have a cup of Decaff tea and have to run to the loo. Im hoping this will go in a few days because I don't fancy another seven days of antibiotics has this happened to anyone else would be glad to here.

Dancinggirl

Re: uti
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »

I have this a great deal and it's often caused by Vaginal Atrophy.  Did your doctor do a urine test to check which bacteria (if any) were present? My daughter started passing blood a few weeks before Christmas and rushed to A&E - they did proper tests and found she had a variety of UTI infections and gave her a cocktail of antibiotics which took at least 5 day to clear things.
If you definitely had a UTI, then the right antibiotics have to be prescribed but if there isn't any infection then you need local oestrogen to help get things healthier around the vaginal area to prevent infection and reduce discomfort.
I've been using Vagifem (local vaginal oestrogen treatment) for the last 3 months but I've just had 10 days of terrible burning - awful - it's starting to subside a bit now. Even if you are on full HRT you sometimes need local oestrogen as well.
Also the bladder can become over active and needs to be trained to hold more. Look under 'Bladder Matters' to the left of this screen
Try drinking water with a little bicarbonate of soda to calm things down.  DGx
I would go back to your GP for another test to be on the safe side.

Anjia

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »

Thanks for your information I am on ellestte solo so I will go back to my gp the thing is I don't have any burning feeling when I wee so don't really understand it.My gp did send off the test and when I rang for results they said I was taking the right antibiotics if I don't feel sore or have any pain could it still be VA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »

Yep.  My GP recognised the symptoms before I did because I had recurrent uti's without anything 'growing'.  So he gave me Ortho-gynest pessaries and these worked <phew>!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »

Anjia - you may need to keep a diary of fluid intake and trips to the loo.  It is easy to keep going to the loo 'just in case' and then your bladder will keep on needing to empty. 
I haven't been through the night since having my children without needing to pee at least twice - such a bore - and when I mention this to the GP or nurse they just suggest I reduce the amount of fluids I take in the evening - I'll then get the UTI because I haven't had enough fluids - you can't win!!!!
Local oestrogen should help.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »

The less liquid we take in during the day the more the kidneys need to work so we are to the bathroom more  ;)
Reading through the menus, left of screen might help too

Anjia

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »

It is one thing after another with this menopause really fed up Im worried because the end of Jan my husband and I are going away what if this infection is still hanging around.I just hope my gp listens to me and not just say more antibiotics.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »

Tell your GP that you are going on holiday, where and ask for something to help symptoms which you think is vaginal atrophy.

We have a 'holiday thread' too , tell us more about your plans?

Anjia

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »

Well Im seeing my gp in the morning to sort this thing out,. the problem is last night I woke up with bad pains in my legs and Ive had them in spasems today could this mean the uti is still there I hope not.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »

Could be lack of salt if you are not drinking enough!  Tell your GP tomorrow: make a list?

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

Google D-mannose.  It's expensive, but it really does work for an awful lot of people (including several members of this forum).  I always have some in my bag as I used to suffer frequently from cystitis - not had a full bout since I got this stuff, as I just take a few spoonsful if I feel a tingle.

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »

I take D Mannose too.

I've got vague UTI at the moment too and it's awful. I use Vagifem 2x a week but think some women's urinary tracts are badly designed. My mum's was too  >:(
I hope your inflammation calms down and doesn't ruin your holidays.

Anjia

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Thanks old sheep I went back to the gp and she said the uti was gone but I still want to wee a lot its not as bad as it was but the feeling still there,also she put my hrt up from 1mg to 2mg and said that might help me from getting more uti infections I hope this is so.

Anjia

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »

Just thinking if its a uti back would D Mannose get rid of it or would it be another trip to the doctors!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »

I think you need to be treated for vaginal atrophy  :-\

Did you go away with your husband yet?
Pages: [1] 2