Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Mattress is Toxic  (Read 6112 times)

Trey

New Mattress is Toxic
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

Bought a hybrid mattress with seven inches of memory foam.  I've been so sick for a week and this morning I thought I was dying or hoped I was.  Googled and found out that out gassing can be truly toxic.  My dog, TJ, has been acting very weird for a few days so think he is affected.  Google says can kill small animals or has been thought to.  No proof.  So even airing it out everyday was no good.  Just having a temperpedic delivered now.  Can't spell.  My brain went crazy and my lungs closed down.  Used inhaler.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Mattress is Toxic
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »

I don't think memory foam is the best way to go, why would one want to lay on a mattress/pillow that 'remembers' how we sleep?  I want to puff up my bedding so that it's comfy every night.

Same with new carpets, sometimes they can give off fumes.  Get out and about in the fresh air Trey!

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

We have memory foam mattresses Trey. I aired them for about a week before the kids slept on them and even then it took ages for the smell to go. You are obviously allergic to it.
I hope your new mattress suits better and you start to recover soon.

CLKD...that's not how memory foam works. You don't puff up a mattress do you  :o

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

We have a water latex mattress on our bed, though at the moment I'm sleeping in separate room with sprung mattress. I vaguely remember a sort of rubbery smell from latex mattress at the start, but that's long gone now. Fortunately neither of us has allergy to the latex.

Trey

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:37:02 AM »

I'm allergic to latex and there was no latex in the memory foam, but when went back to get an innerspring we were told that every single one of the inner springs had some degree of memory foam.  She assured me that the tempurpedic was tested for allergy and had no flame retardant and thus was sold to those with allergies.  So we have a lot of info on how flammable the mattress is and so guess well have to be careful not to get too.............

Of course it cost an additional $1000.00, but at least they took our used one back.  Now I wonder what they will do with the used one.

We are taking the RV out camping for five or six days and have the mattress uncovered and a very good air machine running in the room with packs of charcoal.

So hopefully, thus endith the tale of my mattress.

catlady

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »

We have a memory foam mattress,  don' t remember any smell for long.
Hope you feel better soon,  hopefully getting out will be a big help.

Ann x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »

We had memory foam. We both hated it as we felt we were suffocating somehow and it was so hot. Not good for sex either - no bounce. It lasted around three months before we dumped it - it was a good one too.

Hope you feel better soon Trey.  :hug:

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

Have a memory foam pillow, hate it as its lost its memory :) I sleep without it now as it is too high and has no give at all. Yet I cannot sleep with hubbys too soft pillow either, wish that I cld find a happy medium.

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »

We have a temper mattress. No smell problems. It has helped with back problems, but I can't lie on my left side on it as I have nerve damage in that leg after childbirth, yet I can on other mattresses. We would love to replace it if we could afford to.

Trey

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »

New mattress, tempurpedic, left open for four days whilst we RV ed.  Upon return, very slight smell and we got symptoms of a cold.  Very hard to tell if it is mattress.  Mattress is very firm but gives under pressure points.  We have bags of charcoal, given by store, under mattress. Also running two pricey air cleaners and leaving window open.  I think we will be ok. 

catlady

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

Good luck Trey, hope this mattress is ok.

When we had a new memory foam mattress it was too firm for me
so I had to buy a memory foam topper too.  ::)

Ann x

Trey

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »

New mattress is very firm.  Maybe good idea about topper?  I'm still reacting somewhat as headachy in am, but so much better than before.  The tempurpedic has no flame retardant do thought to be much less toxic.  Hmm.  I get up and go outside and take lots of deep breaths and then feel ok and air it out rest of the day with two air purifiers.  I have to sleep on something.  The next step would be organic, but this one cost almost $3000.00 USD.