Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Stiffness and what to do about it.  (Read 4756 times)

honeybun

Stiffness and what to do about it.
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »

I think I have arthritis. I know I have it my knees as I have been to the GP years ago.
I now have funny joints in my fingers, swollen and knobbly.

For the past few days...Well maybe a bit longer it's my right hip. Oh it aches and its sore going up and down stairs.

This really worries me. I'm 54 and I think I have the joints of someone much older.
I haven't been to the GP. I presume they will want me to take anti inflamatories and I can't take them as I have a dicky tummy.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do....should I visit the GP.
I was thinking that at some point I would need a new knee or two but not a hip too.

Not happy about this at all.

Honeyb
x

Mrs January

Re: Stiffness and what to do about it.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »

Hi

Maybe try cod liver oil ??? or else swimming if you can to help keep those joints moving.

Did the doc do and ESR screening to look for inflammatory markers? if not maybe work considering

Hugs Mrs J xxx

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

Never had any tests. I have had physiotherapy....acupuncture and ultra sound to scatter fluid in my knees, but that's been it.
To be honest it's been a bit of self diagnosis.

Not sure what's up but it's not right that's for sure.....Oh and I do take cod liver oil.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »

Swimming would help, certainly wouldn't do any harm.  Physio maybe would help ease the joints.  Hubby was told cycling for his knees, but knees didn't agree. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »

Swimming was my first thought but a bit chilly 'up there' right now? …… for skinny dipping  ;)

Gentle exercise under supervision, i.e. visit a physio for some to-do-at-home exercises? I believe 1 is able to self refer these days.

It could be the quadriceps muscles which need strengthening - those are the thigh muscles which if they get lax, cause the muslces around the knees to give less support.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »

Cold might dull the pain though. Waters off west coast can be pretty cold even in summer as I found to my cost at age of 16. I came out as blue as my cossie!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

;D ……. a relative went swimming in a Loch last year and was stung by jellyfish  :o ……….

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »

Do you two want to kill me  ;D. There is no chance of going in the sea anytime soon. There are perhaps a dozen days in the whole year that I would consider doing anything with the sea except look at it.

Swimming would be good but my local pool is yukky.

Should I brave the doc in the New Year and see what's going on and if I did what would they want to do ?

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

Oh hate yukky pools. I go to private gym so it's nice & clean. Public ones are horrid. Are there any attached to schools HB. They are often a bit better.  Eldest GD goes to a public pool for lessons. Oh the smells & I'm not talking chlorine.  :sick02:

If pain is still there I would make appointment in New Year. Better still make one now for New Year and if pain has gone you can cancel.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »

If you go to your GP he/she should examine the offending joints.  A blood ESR test will be a pointer as to whether it is inflammation due to wear and tear, i.e. osteo arthritis - other tests will indicate if there may be rheumatoid.  An X-ray will show the depth of any wear and tear, also if there is any sign of inflammation.

If you can't take pain relief - there are several available - then hot/cold water treatment can help.  Warm water and soak: plunge into cold water and soak: wriggling the affected joint as much as possible.  Heat and/or cold can ease the ache.  Splints can be made for wrist joints which are painful at night to prevent movement. 

If knee joints are swollen with fluid then a needle can be inserted to drain it off, it will show if there is infection by the colour of the example drawn.  Aspiration also relieves pain as it takes the pressure off the surround joints/muscles.

Can you take Anadin?  Not often used these days but a good all round pain relief.  Gentle massage with warm oils is a good way of getting some 'me' time  ;).  Swimming does help as it is non-weight bearing but if your pool is yukky  :-X ……… maybe gentle walking?  On the flat.

I have sciatic pain as well as pain down another nerve, also in the outer thigh.  Been present for several years, worse if I lay on the leg for too long at night. [I sleep face down]. 

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »

I think I probably need this looked at. I am way too sore for my age I think. I will put on an appointment for the New Year.

I do gave a soak in the bath but dont take anything but paracetamol as I don't think my stomach is up to anything more. The hip thing is worrying me so perhaps the time has come.

No pools attached to schools around here. Out local pool is guaranteed to give you something contagious. I might look at the nearest hotel pool and spa but I think it might be very expensive.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 11:31:11 PM »

If it's osteo (wear and tear) arthritis then the ESR isn't raised. The ESR test is used for rheumatoid arthritis.

It's difficult to be in pain all of the time honeybun. Is it in both knees? I've got the bumps on my fingers too and have arthritis in my neck and upper spine (moderately) so just assume that the nodules are part and parcel of developing it in other places. You may be referred for an x-ray to see what's going on in the knee.  In the meantime have you considered wearing a support bandage? There might be some info here too http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.aspx

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »

Hello honeybun.

I am not in your position but I have an inflammatory condition and my experience may help you.

I have Ulcerative Colitis which is inflammation of the colon and I take a mesalazine type of drug called Mezavant. This is designed to help the digestive system and has no side effects so perhaps this medicine or a similar type of anti inflammatory would be okay for you to use. I also take a good quality pro biotic as there is evidence that changing the gut flora can improve all sorts of inflammatory conditions and gut problems such as IBS. Lastly I also take a high dose of fish oil but I avoid Cod Liver oil as the high vitamin A content means large amounts shouldn't be consumed. The tablets and supplements are working well for me and in September a colonoscopy  showed a completely normal colon. The consultant was impressed and said that I should continue my regime as it is obviously working.

I learned about the fish oil dosage and pro biotics from the internet so you may want to do your own research and try and find the information that will help you.

Hopefully I have given you some food for thought at least.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »

It could be a nerve or the tendon over the hip causing problems.  A couple of years ago the nerves down both thighs began to be excruciatingly painful at night, enough to make me scream out silently.  I eventually decided that it was due to bending forwards over antique counters during the prior 3 years, therefore pulling that particular nerve which has a long name  ::) …….. it woke me again in the night  :-\

The sciatica nerve reminds me that I don't bend correctly - it pulls down the leg but Nurofen settles it. 

Maybe checking your posture and reminding yourself to bend/sit/walk correctly?

catdude

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

I had an MRI scan to show Osteoarthritis in my spine. It took some nagging at the GPs to get it done as they kept trying to say it was muscular. I think it has now spread to my fingers and knees as well.

If you can't take anti-inflammatories orally what about an Ibruprofen based gel on the joints? Or heat pads for the worst areas?