Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Help! Gum infection  (Read 21313 times)

purplenanny

Help! Gum infection
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »

Hi Ladies
I have had extremely painful teeth for over 3 weeks now. At first the dentist said it was sensitivity due to receding gums. He took xrays and could find nothing. So I bought sensitive toothpaste and a strong mouthwash he recommended. Did this for 2 weeks, but the pain got worse. He then prescribed antibiotics which after 5 days had not touched it and it was getting even more painful.
He gave me stronger antibiotics (which was 400mg of the same type) for 3 days. Things have eased slightly but I am still in agony. I have a strong pain threshold but this is really getting to me now. I can't eat or drink very well and the night is horrible
I have several of the original dose left, so should I double them up and keep taking?
And does anyone know of anything that will provide some relief? Even short term
I have had abscess' before and this feels the same. Top and bottom left side and also hurting my ear
Purplenanny x x

Joyce

Re: Help! Gum infection
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »

Can you take Ibuprofen? It's good for toothache.

First thing tomorrow phone dentist/doctor. You don't want to be suffering over Christmas.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »

You do need to go back to the dentist purplenanny. It sounds like peridontal disease which I had a couple of years ago (I posted on here about it - think I called it "dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet" ). You need a certain type of antibiotic - anaerobic type - to kill the infection but it doesn't always work. There is info about peridontal and gum problems here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Gum-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx  which may be helpful. What type of painkiller are you using?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »

Oh poor you!  You need to discuss with your Dentist what the plan is to help receding gums. This is why I had implant surgery, so that the bone in the jaw has something to work upon i.e. when eating, talking, yawning the teeth react with the bone which helps reduce the chance of gums receding.

Oil of cloves can be useful with dental pain, osmosis I think it's called.  A small drop in water and swill or a small drop on a cotton bud and rub the painful area gently. 

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »

Thank you good ladies.
I am taking 30/500 solpahdine cocodamol. I have been advised not to take iboprufen due to dodgy kidneys but I must admit I have taken some yesterday and today and it is helping.
I will try the cloves , thank you- I have some in the cupboard. Date is 2005 - do you think that matters??

Dyan

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »

O poor you PN.
Here's a  :bighug:
Hope you're feeling better soon.
Dyan C

Trey

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »

Hi PN, did you know that estrogen has a big effect on helping prevent receding gums.  I'm sorry but can't recall the source, but it was a thorough report on how declining estrogen levels can cause receding gums.  But I agree with Taz that you must get it treated as can lead to a lot of issues with jaw and teeth.  Do you gargle with warm salt water for antiseptic and local relief?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:57:14 PM by Trey »

purplenanny

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »

Hi Trey
I am not on HRT so I don't think the oestrogen is relevant to me?

I will try the salt water, thank you.

Do you know what treatment there is for receding gums?

PN

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »

PN - Please see the dentist tomorrow or Tuesday.

You say you are not on HRT, hence presumably are not getting oestrogen, hence receding gums, perhaps?
Salt water may help, but oestrogen does help to plump things up generally.
I think Trey is right, sadly I can't quote the source either.

Please see dentist tomorow, hope things improve soon.

purplenanny

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »

Thanks Limpy, I will.

Sorry Trey - I read that the wrong way about Oestrogen, I thought you meant it caused receding gums!! These damn antibiotics are fizzling my brain!

How do I get Oestrogen without HRT (had bad effects)?

I do have regular 6 month check ups and hygienist and my gums never bleed, so it is all a bit strange

PN

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »

I had bleeding and receding gums before HRT. The difference was amazing.

I do hope you get something to help very soon. My dentist always recommends Corsydl mouth wash.

Honeyb
x

Trey

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »

Whoops, lost my post.  I wish there were more studies on the things that hormones act on throughout the body.  I find it annoying that sexual hormones are perceived dangerous, whereas thyroid hormone is considered perfectly safe.  I've been on estrogen for over thirty years and my mother, who is 98 in March, longer than me.  Another thread perhaps....

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »

I agree Trey. Over here in the UK the dangerous part seems to be combined HRT not oestrogen only HRT - especially as you get older?

Taz x

ann123

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »

Did the dentist give you metronidazole or flagyl (same antibiotic) it kills anaerobic bacteria which are the cause of most abscess in that area.
It is a horrible drug to take but if it doesn't kill the infection then the dentist needs to take further action. Sorry to hear you are in pain. I think dental pain is one of the worst!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »

Cloves don't go off!  give the packet a good rattle and use as necessary.  How is the pain this morning?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5