Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: No bleeding  (Read 1614 times)

SamjW

No bleeding
« on: April 14, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »

Hello after some advice.

I was until January still having a monthly bleed. I’m on 100mg estrogel and 100mg utrogestan but since January no bleeding or spotting BUT all other symptoms of a body getting ready for a bleed. Headaches, fatigue, bloating, cramps, that heavy bowling ball feeling so ladies is this normal or not?

Hurdity

Re: No bleeding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 07:21:08 PM »

Hi SamjW

I'm not clear from your post what your actual dose of oestrogel is? 1 pump consists of 1.25 g of gel (1250 mg) containing 0.75 mg estradiol?

Very high doses of oestrogen can sometimes suppress ovulation and therefore no cycle.

If you were having normal regular periods up until January then you are still peri-menopausal so would expect a bleed at some point unless you're not ovulating due to becoming peri-menopausal, or your oestrogen dose is very high.

Also if you are taking 100 mg Utrogestan continuously - this is normally only prescribed for women who are post-menopausal ie no natural periods for 12 months or more, other than under special medical circumstances. In this case you would expect your normal cycle to break through.

To me it sounds as though you haven't ovulated. Sometimes in late peri and especially on high doses of progesterone - this can be sufficient to stop bleeding but doesn't sound likely in your case.

Maybe you will have a bleed soon if you're getting pre-menstrual symptoms? And yes that would be normal if you're still having a natural cycle, going on behind the HRT...

How old are you and have your periods been completely regular? Same flow etc?

Hurdity x

SamjW

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 09:31:50 PM »

Hello Hurdity

I have 4 pumps of estrogel now. I take utrogestan 100mg on a 25/3 day cycle as my gynae prefers that method as it helps with women that suffered very heavy bleeding like I did. I also have ovestin twice weekly.

I was fairly regular never a 28 day cycle and am 51 now. My mother when through the menopause at 38 and my sister was given a hysterectomy due to ovarian cancer so I really don’t have any family reference as to what is happening as maybe normal or not.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 05:42:17 AM »

Hi SamjW

I'm not clear from your post what your actual dose of oestrogel is? 1 pump consists of 1.25 g of gel (1250 mg) containing 0.75 mg estradiol?

Very high doses of oestrogen can sometimes suppress ovulation and therefore no cycle.

If you were having normal regular periods up until January then you are still peri-menopausal so would expect a bleed at some point unless you're not ovulating due to becoming peri-menopausal, or your oestrogen dose is very high.

Also if you are taking 100 mg Utrogestan continuously - this is normally only prescribed for women who are post-menopausal ie no natural periods for 12 months or more, other than under special medical circumstances. In this case you would expect your normal cycle to break through.

To me it sounds as though you haven't ovulated. Sometimes in late peri and especially on high doses of progesterone - this can be sufficient to stop bleeding but doesn't sound likely in your case.

Maybe you will have a bleed soon if you're getting pre-menstrual symptoms? And yes that would be normal if you're still having a natural cycle, going on behind the HRT...

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity
I'm confused, seeing different info on how much estradiol is in one pump of estrogel.  I thought it was 25mcg but you've said 0.75mg, those two amounts aren't the same are they? Reason I'm asking today is I had a hormome test done on Friday to check absorption on hrt and they asked me my dose and I said 25mcg and now worried Ive given wrong information!
Penguin x

SamjW

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 08:11:25 AM »

Hi SamjW

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity
I'm confused, seeing different info on how much estradiol is in one pump of estrogel.  I thought it was 25mcg but you've said 0.75mg, those two amounts aren't the same are they? Reason I'm asking today is I had a hormome test done on Friday to check absorption on hrt and they asked me my dose and I said 25mcg and now worried Ive given wrong information!
Penguin x

Hi Penguin

Each single pump of estradiol contains 1.25g or equivalent 75mg of estradiol.  Hope that helps.