Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 711426 times)

devonhil

utrogestan/estrogel support group
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »

Hello,

I'm just about to start (this coming Monday) on estrogel and utragestan HRT and thought I'd start a support group thread for anyone else on the same HRT to compare and contrast and discuss any problems/positives.

I think I remember ellie66 saying she'd be up for it - anyone else?

I'm hil - aged 47 and have had peri-menopause symptoms for the last 4 years and haven't had a period since beginning of October. I'm having hot flushes and bad night sweats which have affected by sleep so I'm hoping those will be helped.

hil x
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:48:56 PM by devonhil »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

A link is OK as long as there are no financial pointers, i.e. that 'they' aren't selling anything .......

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »

Excellent thanks Hil, Yes I am up for this. I started Oestrogel this week 3/4 pumps and Utrogestan from days 15-26. I am slightly distracted today as I have just collected a new cat this afternoon, we are going to call her Daisy  :cat88:

devonhil

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:05 PM »

awww - love the name!

How did you decide on the number of pumps of the gel? Did the doc suggest that number or have you worked out that that's the amount which works for you by trial and error?

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

Femston is 2mg of oestrogen and 3/4 pumps of oestrogel is between 2/3mg of osetrogen. I knew I could not manage with less than that as my hot flushes would come back.

devonhil

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »

when you use more than one pump do you apply it at different times (morning and evening say), or do you just use 2+ pumps in one go?

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »

I am using it in one go but you split it and do morning and night.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:05:57 AM »

I have been on this for nearly 10 years, fantastic! Use one & half pumps @ night and Utro 100mg from day 15 to 26, vaginally. No nasty side effects nor symptoms :) Good luck, keep us posted.

devonhil

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

yay Cassie - that's great news!

Hope its the same for the rest of us.

I've just picked up my prescription. I got 4 months worth (i.e. 4 containers) but one is estrogel and the others are called estrodose. They seem to be the same thing and are made by the same company so I'm assuming they are. They didn't have the progesterone in stock yet but I suppose I don't need that for 2 weeks anyway?

Anyway, my gp was rather laid back about dosage so I thought I'd start with the recommended 2 pumps and then up it if after a month if I still have symptoms.

Ellie - did you decide on the higher 4 pump amount as that was similar to the amount with your previous hrt?

Cassie, do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions? Dont feel you have to answer :)

did you arrive at the 1 1/2 pumps by trial and error? Also, are you under any pressure to come off the treatment at all? Though, like other women on this forum I completely understand if you resist vigorously, I know I would!

With the vaginal utro do you just use the same pills that are prescribed for oral use? I'm quite interested in taking the progesterone that way too as presumably you can get away with a slightly lower dose as it's absorbed more efficiently?

Lastly, (blush) with the utro do you just 'shove it up'. I'm a bit worried that for me, after 4 children, it would just come straight back out again  :oops:

The things we women talk about!

hil

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

Hi yes, I also started on 2 pumps and had an oestrogen blood test a while back, my levels were in the 600's so pretty high and I had zero symptoms, so I decided to just stick to the lowest dose possible and use a plunge of the pump, plus a little curl of the next plunge and that works really well for me. I shove the Utro in @ night in bed and yes next morning you do get a bit of leakage but usually comes out with the first wee of the day :) I have been told that I can stay on until 60 so a way to go yet but would not give it up for all the tea in china @ the mo, all the best and keep us posted on your progress. And yes, same pills, whether you drink them or shove them up!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:15:10 PM by Cassie »

ellie66

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »

Yes Hil I started on the 3/4 pumps as its equivalent to Femston 2/10.

Ellie

devonhil

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »

thanks ladies!

Cassie - didn't think to use at night - makes sense to avoid the gravity effect! Will definitely give that a go as I hate swallowing pills and I've been told the utro ones are on the big side

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »

I cannot swallow them thats why I use them other way. I must say though, and I have mentioned this before, they give me the most frightful insomnia! I feel like I have had 3 huge Espresso Coffees and just cannot sleep, toss and turn, it started again last night, I must google and see if this is one of the more rare side effects, I just have to grin and bear it for the 12 nights, I guess as I usually sleep like a log, so annoying!

devonhil

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »

oooh - that's interesting to know about. At least it will be past xmas before I have to take the utro bit

do you just use the utro for 12 days and not 14? Is that to give a break for bleeding to start? (Sorry, I know I'm asking sooo many questions!)

Cassie

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »

I guess you can use them for 14 days, I was told to use from day 15 through to day 26, I guess that would mimic what would happen in the days when our bodies used to produce their own cycles, sigh!
I stop on day 26 and 5 days later a bleed arrives. Ask as much as you like, someone on this lovely forum will be able to assist.
Dont think that insomnia is a normal symptom, I am one of those that sedatives seem to have the opposite effect on :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187