Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: 2 registrars at my GP practice#  (Read 3556 times)

Meg

2 registrars at my GP practice#
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »

I was a little concerned to hear that there are now 2 registrars taking surgery at my normal 1 GP practice.  Apparently the GP is not taking surgery until the registrars have completed their required number of hours.  I wonder what is happening in the NHS.  I understand that registrars need to complete training but they are kind of novices in general practice.  I wonder if anyone else has come across a similar issue.

Meg

rosie c

Re: 2 registrars at my GP practice#
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »

We have a registar at our practice, who works full surgery hours. A little bit unsure when I had an appt.... but do you know what....... he was far better than the other two, older doctors put together !  Completely lovely, had time to listen and did some tests for me that i know the other two would have said.. "No need, No need." as they have in the past. x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »

Registrars have got to get their experience from somewhere.  In the old days any doctor could take up general practise whatever their experience and being a GP means you have to have general medical knowledge, learn to deal with people and diagnose their needs quite rapidly - very difficult. They will be supervised and should ask for help from a senior GP if in doubt.
If you go into hospital you may well be treated by a registrar under the supervision of a consultant this is quite normal.
You may well find these registrars more patient and thorough so I would be pleased to be seen by them. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

This has happened for years.  When a Doctor qualifies they then need to gain experience in many sectors so they spend 6 months in each Dept. before being seconded to GP Surgeries.  They are more likely to be up to date  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »

We've had registrars at our practice for several years.

They have all been very good.  When I was aware of getting into meno, it was a young female registrar who talked me through the FSH blood test results, she was excellent.

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »

Dont worry bet they are lovely xxx

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »

Most of the registrars at my London GPs are far better than the ordinary GPs. They are from good London teaching hospitals and they haven't yet learnt to get rid of you in 2 mins! Only doctors in the practice that you can talk things through with too. I was distraught that they didn't keep the last one on as she was so nice and such a good doctor. Instead we got a nutty Bulgarian!