Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 2013 flu jab  (Read 21315 times)

Limpy

Re: 2013 flu jab
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

It is certainly true that nobody can walk around when they have proper flu.
Except men, when they have Man Flu..........   ;D

Elena

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

The last time I had a tetanus jab I was told it offered life-long protection.  I guess it has evolved over the years.

My old surgery used to contact me to offer me the flu jab, but my new one hasnt.  Looked on their website and flu jab is offered to those with the usual condition but re. asthmatics it says "severe asthma".  I dont have SEVERE asthma...I hve ordinary asthma.  Are they restricting the vaccine this year I wonder?   ::)

Joyce

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »

Don't think so Milliemoo. Mine is ordinary, but I was invited to get my flu jab.

bramble

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »

Does anyone know if it is the same mix as last year? I have read conflicting reports.
Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

Even if the mix reads the same - i.e. they are targeting the same A or B viruses etc the actual vaccine will be different because the strains will have changed themselves. The flu virus changes each season.

Taz  :)

Elena

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

All sorted, got my appt but not til early next month!

At least that gives me time to get over this lurgy  ::)

Rowan

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »

I don't want to be inflammatory with this, but those who have decided to not have the flu jab or are not in the high risk groups, this is very good information.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/alternatives-to-the-flu-shot.html

Joyce

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »

Have to say those "rules" apply for most viruses, but we cannot live in  a bubble. Most of the hygiene suggestions are common sense and I will still get a flu jab.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:40:39 AM by cubagirl »

honeybun

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »

I bet she would be singing a different tune if one of her close family was in the at risk group.

:hotflash:

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

I though the advice was good, I was going to copy and paste just the advice but I thought it would be too long.

My OH is in the high risk age and has a pacemaker but will not have the flu jab.

He did 10 years ago and a few days later started with the most terrible headaches he was rushed to hospital and then to the another hospital and saw a brain surgeon, he was put on steroids and then had a brain scan,, it was found that he had a brain tumour that had probably been there for years and had given no problems, it was removed and was benign, he was told that the fly jab could have inflamed the tumour, in one way I suppose you could thank the flu jab, but it really certainly scared us.

A couple of years ago I decided to have the flu jab so I would not pass anything on to OH, but I did get such a horrible bout and really brought me down that year and it seemed to go into my joints on the left side and that why I too am scared of the flu jab now, I might be misguided in this but its the way I feel and have not intended in anyway to be detrimental to those who have the jab, its just my dilemma.

honeybun

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »

It's everyone's personal choice SL and I have had side effects from the jab before so it's not something I look forward too. If you have had a bad experience in the past then I don't blame you for being hesitant.

I feel that my hubby really has no choice. The last time he had a virus I ended up with paramedics at the house in the middle of the night. He was as bad as I had ever seen him. Soaking in sweat, incoherent, could not stand. I found it so difficult to get glucose into him. Very scary so the thought of him having flu which lasts for days does really not bare thinking about.

In saying all that I still respect the fact that people have a choice and should be free to make it but the article that you posted brought to mind the MMR controversy. There are now many children not protected and who will contract a health threatening illness.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »

You are right about MMR Honeyb.
There was a significant outbreak in Wales last year, lots of kids not having had their MMR jabs.
One 25 year old man died because of pneumonia caused by the measles.

oldsheep

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »

I had a crazy overreaction to a tetanus vaccine some years ago and the doctors told me not to get vaccinated with any live vaccines.
I get really ill with flus and even colds as have M.E and a pretty weak immune system and post nasal drip, so cough to exhaustion, often get bronchitis so need ABs and seem to take weeks longer to recover than I should. I'm now nervous of even penicillin ABs as got a violent diarrhoea 'bug' the same day OH was diagnosed with C Difficile and although I tested negative for it, the doc said it could possibly have been it (?) - my husband got it from routine ABs whereas I'd not been on them and she said that could be the difference.

I'm always tempted by the vaccine, especially in bad flu years (last year wasn't a bad flu year) but am too scared to have it, and am pretty sure an inactivated, adjuvant free vaccine is not available?

Taz2

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »

The flu vaccine isn't live oldsheep but the nasal spray is. 

Taz  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]