Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 2013 flu jab  (Read 21316 times)

honeybun

Re: 2013 flu jab
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »

Not exactly protected then are you.

Very surprised I have to say.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »

Why are you surprised?   I have an immune system ............. I try only to take what is necessary i.e. if I get a headache/toothache/low back pain I take pain relief, I don't take pain relief in case I get a headache etc..     ::)  ..............

honeybun

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »

It's tetanus, and you are a keen gardener and you keep chickens.

I thought all gardeners knew the risks. I am a member of a community garden and we have few safety messages displayed in our barn as we are all grown ups. One of the few is a rather large warning about tetanus and how dangerous it is.

That's why I am surprised.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »

It is a bit of a risk to take over such a nasty illness CLKD but I can see that you think your immune defences are indestructible although it didn't do too well with your recent cold did it!!!  ;D

I'm glad I have had mine anyway considering it lives in house dust!!  :lol:http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tetanus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

Ah: but how bad would my cold have been if my immune system had been 'knocked'  ;)

Thanks for the Link  :o

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »

It's an interesting subject  - it's as if you are advocating the "survival of the fittest" idea meaning that all vaccinations should be discontinued because you can't say that one is bad, really, without saying that all are bad and that we should all rely on our immune systems to get us through, or not, as the case may be.  If you look at it like that then should we also not take any antibiotics for infections but just let nature take it's course because we should be relying on our immune system to fight the bacteria for us?

Taz  :)

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »

I guess a lot of us would not be posting then as we would all be dead  :o

Don't think my immune system is that robust to be honest. I look at the appeals for aid in some foreign country's and think how fortunate we are in our health services. Just think how much better their lives would be if they had access to our immunisation programme.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »

I look at the appeals for aid in some foreign country's and think how fortunate we are in our health services. Just think how much better their lives would be if they had access to our immunisation programme.

I agree.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

I was a prem-baby who wouldn't be here if it weren't for an incubator  :o  ......... some innoculations are essential, others seem to be pushed.  If those eradicate life-threatening diseases then there is a tick for giving them.  Considering that measles is still a killer in some parts of the World as well as malaria ...........

So why is it necessary for someone with diabetes to be given a 'flu jab?  How does 'flu affect diabetes to make this necessary?  My Mum had hers 2 weeks ago and she is a healthy, active 86 year old  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »

Diabetes is a life-threatening condition CLKD. Honeybun will be able to explain it a lot more but in the meantime you can read about it here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/flu-and-diabetes.html

Although your mum is healthy at the age of 86 she is more at risk of the complications of flu such as chest and other infections and falls due to weakness brought on by high temperatures. Elderly people are also more at risk of dehydration.

Taz

Scampi

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

When you get real flu (NOT a bad cold) you cannot eat, often for days on end, and even drinking is incredibly difficult.  Couple that with a high fever and you have a recipe for disaster when it comes to trying to control blood-sugar levels if you are diabetic.  Wayward blood-sugar levels are potential killers (leaving aside the fact flu is a potential killer in its own right), so it's VERY important that diabetics are protected against flu, and also that those in close contact with them are also protected.

honeybun

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »

Thanks Taz and Scampi, I could not have explained better myself.

I think this is the reason I get a bit passionate about this. It is so dangerous for a diabetic to try and cope with this kind of thing. Diabetes is hard enough to cope with without throwing this into the mix. Of course he cannot go about in a bubble and be protected from everything, but this is one that is preventable especially if all people who can would get immunized.

Yes CLKD, you can go around and lead a normal life but if you catch flu and come in contact with someone like my husband then you endanger his life.

Is that fair..... :-\

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »

Our local surgery advise people with chronic conditions to get the flu jab.

With diabetes I would imagine it's the blood sugar level going out of control with all of the dangers that incurs.

Speaking for myself, I have MS, flu is very likely to trigger a relapse. If this happens, I lose the ability to use certain parts of my body. This may improve when the flu passes, it may not. I would prefer not to take the chance. Who needs the use of their legs anyway.......

OK - CLKD you may be fine with getting flu, but it gets passed around, others are affected, it's not just you.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »

:thankyou:  but people cannot walk around with 'flu - anyone who does, isn't suffering with the 'flu virus  ::)  ...... when I had it I couldn't lift my head from the pillow, bright light made me wince, didn't know time of day for a while ......... I take your point on the dangers though.

Taz2

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »

Silly... you walk around with it before it actually shows itself!!  ;D

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4