Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 2013 flu jab  (Read 21321 times)

bramble

2013 flu jab
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

I was told by an alternative health practicioner not to get the flu jab this year as I had got it last year and it is the same mix as this year and so I was already protected. Anyone else heard this?

As a footnote, I still got flu last year, quite badly in November.

Bramble

Taz2

Re: 2013 flu jab
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »

I think there were, as usual, many different types of flu around Bramble. The best the health organisations can do is to pick which ones seem to be the most virulent and protect us against them.

Here are the three which have been chosen this year http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/flu-influenza-vaccine.aspx

Taz

jgr

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »

I have had mine and the swine flu is included this time, was not in it last year.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

The one I had last year had swine flu in it.

I thought although it's not 100% effective it did reduce the severity of flu if you did get it. Sorry it did not work for you Bramble.

Honeyb
X

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »

Got mine booked for next Saturday as I'm asthmatic.
Haven't had one for a few years - smack my wrists!!!
But last year I had cold after cold and chest infection from  December to March so decided to have one this year.
I'm full of cold though at the moment so will have to see nearer the time as I don't think they will do it if you're not well?

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure mine didn't have swine flu in it. Read the blurb at the time. Going to be in for a really horrid few days afterwards if it's in this mix. I was pretty ropey when I got separate swine flu jab 3 years back. My daughter was really ill with it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

So why have it?  Why have something that is going to make you ill?  The immune system usually does a good job and if it is dampened by having to deal with yet more interference by means of injections  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »

Maybe your recollection of flu has dimmed over time CLKD? It is a small price to pay to have a sore arm and a vague cold-like feeling for two days rather than the proper flu leading to a couple of weeks off work plus at least another month to get fully fit.

The immune system can do a good job with a lot of bugs but the flu virus changes itself every year. The immune system has no way of recognising the new flu bug which means the bug has got a hold before the body can even begin got deal with it. Does this mean that you have never had any vaccinations for any of the other illnesses we can get protected from?  :-\

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »

This pretty comprehensive

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

It does suggest people who should have the jab.

Here is some more interesting facts

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives07ML4P1A10.html the bit about Alzheimer's is concerning.

The flu jab does cause me to worry, just as much as getting flu.

I hadn't even though about it until I got the letter from the surgery though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:57:31 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »

CLKD it was when they were scared of swine flu epidemic. Being  an asthmatic it was strongly advised. Daughter is a nurse & they all had to have it. Some of her colleagues were so ill they couldn't work for days afterwards.

There are many people with a variety of illnesses including diabetes who are also strongly advised to get flu jabs.

Having been really ill with pneumonia I wouldn't wish an upper respiratory tract infection on anyone. Not good gasping for air. So I will have mine. Sore arm is nothing compared to getting flu.

jgr

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »

I have had the flu jab for years due to working in the hospital and have only ever had a sore arm for a few days, never felt ill in anyway.

I have had the flu before and i would not want it again, will always have the jab.

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

So why have it?  Why have something that is going to make you ill?  The immune system usually does a good job and if it is dampened by having to deal with yet more interference by means of injections  :-\

The thing is, the flu jab does not always make you ill, sometimes it actually prevents flu.
The immune system does not always protect against flu. I have had flu once, I thought / hoped I was going to die. No way I want to risk that again, ever.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »

If the immune system "does a good job" why do people catch it in the first place? I don't really follow your reasoning CLKD.

Taz  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

I think CLKD really has forgotten how ill flu can make you. Perhaps she thinks because she has not had it for years she has built up an immunity to it.

I am sure she will be along to let us know her thoughts. It would be great if it was one of these things that you only got once because then I would not have to pay for my jab again this year.  ::)

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:08:46 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

If you think that our bodies protect us against most bugs that are doing the rounds otherwise we would be continually ill.  So most people in the 1st World have a good immune system.  Why does a human 'catch' anything?  If the bug could be irradicated as polio/smallpox has been in the UK then there might be a firm reason to give an apparently healthy populas innoculations .............

I do remember well how ill I felt when I had the 'flu - 2 years running in March of those years, early 1980s.  I was too ill even to contemplate ringing the GP  ::) - I told DH that "I'm not hot or anything" but the flannel with which he was sponging me down was steaming  :o then he carried me to the bathroom which faces East and oh so bright  :-\ .............. Went to bed both times feeling fine, no warning; woke with aches, painful backs of eyes, not wanting to move .......... took about 3 days each time before I dared to lift head from pillow  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4