Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Slow recovery following laproscopy?  (Read 3196 times)

debil

Slow recovery following laproscopy?
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

Hi all
its a week since I had my ovaries and (very) large cyst removed by laparoscopy and although I feel  a lot better im a bit frustrated as my recovery hasn't been as quick as expected! I am still very bruised externally and my abdomen is  still swollen and very sore ( feels bruised inside too) which I suppose isn't surprising given the size of the cyst!
My tummy has gone from looking and feeling like I am pregnant to looking  horrible - fat and wobbly  amd I am still getting waves of pain every now and then!
When walking I have to take it slower than usual as I have a pain in my groin and my hot sweats have returned with a vengeance, I;m having trouble sleeping and feel very tired and the sweat is just dripping off me?
TBH I was expecting to be my old self after a few days and my gynae assured me that I wouldn't have any further menopausal symptoms as I'd already " gone through it"!!
is all of this normal?
Thanks
Debs xx

Joyce

Re: Slow recovery following laproscopy?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »

Hi there debil. Sorry you are still suffering. My ovarian cysts were encased in adhesions, but my recovery was much quicker than yours. I'm still on HRT as mine were removed  about 12 years ago when I was in my mid 40's. I would phone your GP just to be sure everything is as it should be.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »

Hi Debil - Sorry that things are taking longer than you were told although I think a week is not that long especially as they had to also remove the large cyst. As for you being told that as you had "gone through it" you wouldn't need to worry about surgical menopause I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The ovaries continue to produce oestrogen throughout our lives - albeit much less than when we are younger so it is normal for you to have meno symptoms after such a sudden drop I reckon.

The info from this hospital is often clear and informative on different operations so maybe this will help settle your mind a bit http://www.derbyhospitals.nhs.uk/easysiteweb/getresource.axd?assetid=2958&type=0&servicetype=1

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »

Words fail me how can a Gynaecologist be so dense :o

Surely they know about the endocrine system and how it works, even we had to learn about it at college.

debi check out http://www.hystersisters.com/ and their forums.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:38:58 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »

It's still going on SL - a friend of mine has just opted for full hyster, taking everything, because of her heavy periods. She is 42 and was told by the private consultant that it's better to "get rid of the lot in one go - HRT will provide you with what you need afterwards".

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »

Just can't believe that Taz just for heavy periods, and to be told that :o seems to me that its more for his bank balance.

I do hope your friend does find that HRT works for her, some ladies do find hormone balance but others struggle.

For anything less then cancer I do think women should conserve ovaries.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »

Me too!

Taz

debil

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »

Hi ladies, thanks very much for your replies.

With regard to the removal of ovaries, I understand that with a hysterectomy these days it is better to leave them but in my case my problem was with the ovaries and my gynae had called for a 2nd opinion from a gynae/oncologist rbefore proceeding with the removal of both. They also decided against the removal of my uterus as it appeared to be very healthy.  I understood the reason both ovaries were removed was to eliminate the risk of further cysts/ cancer and because they were "no longer needed". 
Although my hospital reports have come back "no signs of malignancy" they are still waiting for the final report....however there was always a risk of cancer and therefore I was very happy to accept their recommendations .
The advice regarding the menopausal symptoms is a little more confusing....I went to see my GP yesterday. He feels i'm making a very good recovery considering the size of the cyst ( the report stated that 2.5 litres of fluid was drained from the cyst and he said that it must have been huge!!.In fact I did a little experiment yesterday with 2.5 litres of water and a polythene bag and couldn't believe id been carrying something that size around inside me!!) . GP felt that the pain I have been experiencing is due to internal bruising (I have no infections etc) and he was surprised at how mobile I am so that pleased me!!
.Whilst I was there I mentioned  my hot flushes and he seemed to feel it was normal after the Op for them to return but he was reluctant to prescribe HRT yet due to my age and the risk of breast cancer. He indicated that things might settle down and suggested some natural remedies to try first. He did however encourage me to return if things became unmanageable. I must say all of this conflicting advice is very confusing and worrying but its always good to hear another viewpoint!.
Anyway im feeling much better again today after resting yesterday, the sweats have eased and I feel less tired so im going to see how I get on for now  as I need to really weigh up the benefits/risks of HRT before going down that route.
Debs xx

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »

Take it slow & easy & listen to your body.  Some ladies manage fine using herbal alternatives. Wishing you luck & a good recovery.