Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Upper Urinary Tract Infection  (Read 41323 times)

Hurdity

Re: Upper Urinary Tract Infection
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Hurdity - the strange thing is that with upper urinary tract infection you don't get any pain on passing urine in most cases. I just felt as if I was getting something flu-like for a few days. Achy and a bit shivery with a stiff feeling lower back and just thought it would either "come out" or pass. The shivers are a bit different to the normal shivers you get with a temperature. They are called rigors and one of the signs of this is that during the total shaking your fingers and toes go completely white and numb as the blood is taken into the core of the body. I found it really interesting how it all works - the doc was really great at explaining it all - and as she said "at least you know your hypothalmus is working well"  :)  Rigors show that a bacterial infection is present in the body but obviously doesn't show you where it is. The last time I saw someone with them was my mum when she first picked up MRSA in hospital - it was her constant shaking one morning and inability to hold anything that alerted them to something being wrong even though she didn't feel that ill. It also happened to a work colleague when she was going down with bacterial meningitis. I must admit I was a bit scared when they happened to me!!

Taz x

Oh I see - that sounds miserable (the shivers). I definitely haven't had this but I remember the children especially my daughter used to get them when little - used to get a temperature and complained of "tummyache"  - as they do - and doc saying it was urine infection. I do remember being surprised as I'd only experienced the other sort and never had temp with them.

Re your mother, and colleague - quite scary....

Anyway hope you're feeling better by now - loved the cat story (apart from the feeling that preceded it!) - they do love it when we lie down don't they!!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »

Do you also think that cystitis is catching CLKD?  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

I didn't think it could be picked up as such.

Unless you mean like cystitus  being referred to as the "hooneymooners disease", i.e. physical insult or aggravation kicking things off

How are you Taz?

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »

It can't be transferred like a flu or stomach bug. One of the causes is through sex and the doc thought it was because I was now off HRT so even though there was no dryness or pain during sex the tissues will be thinner and so allow bacteria to travel. They obviously weren't content to stay put in the urethra this time but fancied a ride higher up!  This explains things http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Urinary-tract-infection-adults/Pages/Causes.aspx

I'm feeling better this evening thanks Limpy but still need to take the paracetamol or other painkiller every four hours or so or the temperature goes up and the back gets painful. I have been sleeping a lot. The cats have been cosying up with me on the sofa in an "well, isn't this nice mum?" kind of way.  :)

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »

:cat88:   they know  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

Nice to know someone cares Taz.  ;)

warwick01

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »

Hi Taz

Hope thing settle soon.

This time last year I was never away from GP with UTI problems. Like you I was shivery, nausea sort of flu like, I also suffered urge incontinence. This whent on for months. Once I increased my HRT it all seemed to improve.

Oh I also had what the GP called vaginitis. With me I'm sure this was all meno related. Even now when things get out of sink, flu like symptoms return. If it is hormones it may just need time to settle.

Good Luck

W

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »

How are you feeling today Taz? Hope antibiotics are kicking in.  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »

:bighug:

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

Thanks ladies. Felt a bit better yesterday I think - things seem to be changing in that, before, I didn't have any real discomfort but now have slight kidney pain and the cystitis feeling plus the temperature is high if I don't keep up the painkiller regime. Am drinking loads and having to go the loo every 15 minutes or so which is a lot for me. Am going to make a "sit and wait" appointment in the morning if I'm not better as I finish the antibiotics on Saturday and don't want to have a break without them. I can also then make sure that I am on the right ones.

I have slept most of the morning Grrrrr!

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »

Taz - if you slept, you needed the rest.  Your body needs more sleep when you are battling an infection.  Just go with it and don't beat yourself up about 'what you could have been doing'.  Getting well is more important than a bit of dust!

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »

Sleep is healing Taz. When I am really unwell I spend most of the time sleeping. I have always been like that though.
Getting checked by the GP sound good. The last thing you want is problems over the weekend.

:foryou:

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »

I know that you are right - it's just that I hate being ill and especially hate letting down people at work. I've never had time off before though so I wont beat myself up about it! Me and sleep have never gone well together  ;D

Taz x  :thankyou:

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »

Taz glad you are getting acquainted, you might get to like one another  ;D

Get well soon.

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »

:lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10