Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?  (Read 17278 times)

Taz2

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »

MRI's are really useful - can save such a lot of time not faffing around with things that wont work.

Taz x

Rosebush

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »

Ann I too had rotor cuff repair on Dec 18th, just wondered if you have movement yet without pain  :o  I am having physio, every 10days (P.T does deep massage) and doing exercise at home, but the pain from stiffness is horrible, I can move arm from elbow okay and do forward moves, but outward & upward..very painful :'( x

Valiant how are you doing?  x

valiantkate

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm still here, still got an arm that doesnt do what I want it to. I must admit it is improving though, I never realised that it would be such a long haul! I have only slight pain now- no agonising catches which I  had prior to surgery. I was pleased I gave the surgery a chance, just need to plod on with the physio now. I'm still on only 40 per cent outward and upward movement but I feel that thngs are getting a bit more flexible, you will improve Rosebush, it just takes time. Crikey, Ive been off work now for over a year! I was panicking that Id been signed off initially for 4 weeks "you simply cant do that!" I said to the consultant- he just grinned at me, bless him. ;)

ann123

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »

I have one more physio session next week and am doing my exercises at home.
It's still a bit painful but a lot better than it was and I am not taking so many pain killers. Now I can lift my arm forwards above my head, but not completely straight also up to the side not to bad but can't get it behind my back. It does just take time and mine was very painful for about 8 weeks, not so bad now. You have to keep doing the excersise the physio gives you, it will get easier. I was living on pain killers for weeks! I took 3 weeks of work afterwards and didn't drive for 6 weeks.

ann123

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

Put Ice on it, especially after exercise this will calm the muscle down

Rosebush

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »

Ladies how are you doing with shoulder pain-movement now, I can do more forward & upward moves but cannot dry back of hair yet, or get arm up my back, can just about turn hand and touch back of hip joint, wish my Consultant had not told me it was only a 12 wk recovery period..i am off on long stay hols on Friday, and would have left the op until I came home in May..its just so painful & restricting, still need painkillers as well..... :'(

ann123

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »

My physio called BUPA to ask for more physio for me and they authorised another 4 sessions. I am not taking so many pain killers, just every other day now!!! I still can't get my arm up my back, I can't zip up a dress or do up a bra! But it is much easier forward and sideward. I can reach above my head now but still can't straighten my arm.
12 weeks!!!!!!! The consultant told me 6 months :-(
I think that is more realistic. It isn't bothering so much now and it's been 4 months.

Rosebush

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

Ann so pleased you have got extra physio, it seems we can /cannot both do same movements, my arm today really aches, have just taken 2 p/killers, have only needed 2 'at night' the last week, its just such a pain not being able to do normal stuff, like zipping up a dress, think as you were told, 6mths would have been a better recovery date to have given me..

Ann are you using any weights to gain strength?  x

ann123

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

No, physio has given me a dyna band to excersice with. I tried some weights at home and it really hurt so haven't tried again. I do go to Pilates now which I am enjoying and this is giving my arm more excersice and she does some strength excersice. It is getting better and once I got my head round the idea that it would be about 6 months, I have stopped worrying and stopped thinking about it! I dont think I would have had the surgery if I had known how much it was going to hurt afterwards! I certainly hope I never need a knee or hip!!!

valiantkate

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »

Hi ladies, well, still off work... op was in September, seeing consultant this week so I think I will be OK to restart. Goodnesss knows how I'll get out of bed though! Going to the shoulder class regularly which is brilliant. Good to know that we are all making progress, albeit slowly eh?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]