Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?  (Read 17273 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »

:thankyou:    :foryou:

Brisk walking will help hips and below.  Which in the Autumn  :sunny: you can do 2-3 times a week. You will absorb a certain amount of Vit D from the sunshine so a double helping of bone preservation ;)   Presumably you will have physio to get the shoulder moving again? 

I think that calcium may need another mineral in order to help up-take? It needs to be taken in a controlled manner so that the body doesn't store too much.  How is your diet since surgery?  Where was the scan pointed at, hips is the best place!

ann123

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »

I fell a couple of months ago and have to go in for surgery to repair rotator cuff damage and an impingement decompression. Booked in for next month, consultant said I wouldn't be able to drive for 6/8 weeks! I am a sales rep, so will be off work. He said it will be key hole surgery!
Keep posted on how you are doing

ann123

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »

How long do you need to keep the immobiliser on?
What pain relief did they give afterwards?

valiantkate

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

Ann, hi, please dont worry about your surgery, I was and it was fine. I only have 2 teeny marks in my shoulder now. I don tlike too many painkillers so I take paracetamol in the day- if needed and two co dydromol at nigt, again, if needed. I went into the surgery hearing all sorts of dreadful things- Oh, you cant do this- that or the other.... I was prepared for the worst ! Things have been tricky but you just find ways round, ie- others can peg the washing out and carry it to the tumble dryer, others can iron and help with the household chores. I am a very independent woman and like to challenge myself- I am getting better at writing with the left hand etc. I bought a 'pull on' bra which didnt cut into my shoulder too much, I bought pajams too- wet wipes for the loo etc.
It is awkward to sleep-the  sling is a pain, for the first week or so I slept on the settee with the cat  for company, at least I didnt   roll over, I have been sleeping in bed for weeks now, bliss. My hair is  a state as I cant blow dry it and my OH doesnt understand the concept of 'styling'!!!!
Asking for lifts in the car is a pain, gone are the days of popping out, i use public transport if the jouney is short. My friends have helped me a lot. I hope the sling is removed this week although I think I will miss the feeling of security! It wasnt as bad as I thought.
If you live in the UK you may be entitled to the Employment and support allowance- ask the Dept of Works and Pensions - if youve worked you may be entitled to this- it does help, and then council Tax rebate???
Please dont worry, worrying about the unknown can be a terrible thing. Be practical, plan what 'stuff' you will need, thats how I cope, bath time- I lay out all the things I need- perfume too! Get a box with stuff for the day- bottle of water, sweets, books, pens etc- pop it by where you sit.
Ask for help - you will need it, especially at first,  you will find ways to cope and do stuff- a challenge! Go for walks etc, dont just fester by the TV when youre a bit better. Dont cheat- keep that  sling on- except in the bath or shower. I had exactly the same op as you are due, I survived. The sling has been on for 6 weeks now and it has gone by so quickly. Good luck, you WILL be OK. ;) Valxx

valiantkate

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »

HI CLKD, I left the GP not very much the wiser. I must say my diets a bit hit and miss, I make sure I have  yougurt and dairy products, oily  fish ( stinky burps though!) seeds and  pulses, soya milk on muesli. I take calcium and vitamin D tablets to supplement my diet but I dont know if I'm 'overdosing' on them.
I know I'm overweight at 13 stones- I'm 5 foot and 6 inches, this has crept up on me over the years. When my sling comes off and the physio says I can I am looking  forward to swimming and re joining the Yoga group. I try to walk daily but my arthritis in my hips isnt good at the moment- I 'wobble' rather than walk! It was a lovely day yesterday so I went in the garden to potter about, then a walk to the  library. I am enjoying life at a slightly slower pace as I had a frantic job prior to injuring my shoulder. I now have time to smile, to read and enjoy my  wonderful friends.
I really hate taking too many tablets as my Mum was addicted to codine and I saw the results when I was a child.
I really dont know what the next step is- I thought that the results would be very 'cut and dry' rather than them working out my score. I daresay I will get that info soon. Thanks for the support. Valxx ;)

ann123

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »

Thanks for the info, Val.
Must admit I have been finding it difficult to sleep now, if I role over onto my left side it hurts, not had a good sleep for ages! I work full time and have to drive distances to visit customers, so I will be off work for a while!
I am sure I will be ok but it is a worry.
Let me know how you get on, how long it is till you get the sling off and movement back into your arm!

valiantkate

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

Ann, heres a handy list of things you might need:
Electric toothbrush and tube toothpaste- you wont be able to operate a push type.- practice prior to the op.
Flannels- so useful for washing your face and soothing to put over your shoulder in the bath.
A long handled brush for your back when youre in the shower.
A jug whilst in the bath- lovely to trickle water over the shoulder and pour over your armpit area.
A 'wheatie'- those things you pop into the microwave, can be comforting.
Nice bubble bath- make it a treat!
A hot air brush dryer- just in case your other half is as incompetent as mine at hair styling!!!!!!!
Pajama sets- baggy bottoms and a short sleeved t shirt/ vest  type top- ASDA sell them. They were really handy and it doesnt feel like youre in your bed time attire all the time!
Big knicks! Pads if you still have periods.Wet loo paper (Andrex)
Moisturising cream  for your hands- your skin can dry out.
Spare pillows so you can pop one on your lap as you mustnt put any strain on your arm.
I found having a 'cape' to wear outside so useful. Its awkward to put your arm into sleeves at first so its handy at this time of year. I got mine from Matalan, cost me £10.00- I have used this so much- even if its not your style you have to adapt in the short term.
Shoes with zips or pull ons- you wont be able to tie your laces and i get on my kids nerves by asking them to tie them for me!!! Pay back time?????
Painkillers ready, take them if you need to, you may not, but dont be a hero-  if it hurts take them.
Slings come in small medium and large, I have a large as I have really long arms, it as the most comfy. Ask the hospital staff their advice.
When you come round you will find that you will have lots of dressings over the would, dont panic! Its to soak up any fluid they used in the keyhole stuff, the dresings come off shortly after. You'll go home with small dressings on and your sling.
Let the family fuss over you, play act for a while, milk it, pay back time.
The main thing is to think about what youre doing and plan what you need first- lay them out, put them ready.
It was so much easier than I thought!!!!!
Physio starts tomorrow so I'll keep you posted. Dont be frightened, the anaesthetic was great- had a funky dream about brightly coloured flowers!!!!! Woke up feeling like I'd been to the best party ever!!!!!!
 :cupcake: Keep me posted.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »

Anaesthetic is the best sleep I ever have  ::) and becuase I ask for anti-emitics prior to surgery I am never nauseous or sick.

Good advice here  :foryou:

valiantkate

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

I generally propose to the surgeon- well if hes a he!!!!! HEHE - ooo stop it now.

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »

What is it about surgeons (male) I have fallen for a few ;D

ann123

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »

Great advice!!!
I have been driving my husband mad before the op! Think I might go up to my mums in Scotland after!
I don't have a lot of movement in my arm, so struggle to wash my hair and dress! He has got good at doing up bras!
My surgeon is Dutch and only 38!!!

valiantkate

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »

OOOO you floozy you! Yep, I am looking forward to getting my hair bak into some sort of shape befor too long. AS for the bra!!!!! Try the pull ons- sooo sexy. x (but so comfy)

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »

My husband refuses to do up my bra  :o  .........

I have worked with many Surgeons - some were dishy but difficult, others were  :-* oh look what you've started  ;D

ann123

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

I bought a pull on bra but I couldn't stretch it enough to get my arm through! I am wearing best tops and no bra most of the time. Which was a bit embarrassing recently at a physio app as she asked my to take my top off!

valiantkate

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »

What I found easier is  if I  gently 'rolled' the bra or other clothing up over my arm and pulled it over the good one,, it is tricky, to pull stuff off I reversed the process and tucked my head down and pulled the t shirt etc over my head with my good arm- it sounds mad- pity theres no video link eh?
I'm off to see the consultant today, did my first real physio yesterday, I coouldnt believe how weak my muscles had got. Will make sure I do all the excercises though as I dont always want to be like this.
Last night was my first slingless sleep and can I tell you, I missed the security of it, I can't believe it really, I'm sure I will get used to it again, I'm still wearing it outside as I do fall quite a lot.
Have a good day. Valxxx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5