Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Citalopram, and very scared.  (Read 27531 times)

Taz2

Re: Citalopram, and very scared.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:42 PM »

Well done Honeybun. I hope you don't get any side effects but just remember that within three weeks they should have disappeared. I had a prescription for citalopram last year but didn't feel brave enough to use them either so I know how you feel! My son takes 20mg a day and apart from the first two weeks (he started on 10mg too) where he felt very tired, yawned all the time and also a bit nauseous it keeps him functioning.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »

They must have worked well for him Taz.....He is in Canada now.....Not that I want to go to Canada.....mind you.   ;)

I just want to do the things that I used to do. Not much....Just the odd time out for a meal or a coffee or even go to the pictures. I have not done anything like that for over a year now. Not only is it effecting my life but  My hubbies too and that's not fair although he has never complained.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

Get your Mum sorted then go for it!  Give yourself a couple of days off, I expect - like I did - you will 'look' for adverse side effects  ::) - but remember also, a medication wouldn't work if it weren't for side effects  ;) - so long as you get the 'good work in progress' ones .........

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

Just wanted to say that it's the youngest one who is in Canada Honeybun not the middle (central) one but thanks to citalopram he has gone from being out of work, unable to travel anywhere or, eventually, eat anything and spending his days in bed to working full time, living away from home and travelling wherever and whenever he wants to. He has tried to come off them and although it is not addictive and he suffered no withdrawal effects the anxiety came back just as before. He worked out that as he had been like that since the age of 15 and he is now 28 then, for him, he will probably always need to take it.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

Hope it goes well Honeybun.
Look after yourself.

Lucky Stone

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

Good luck for later hb, I'm sure you will be fine with them. Got to be worth a try. Let us know how it goes.

lesley998

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

I am on citalopram HB.   I can also be a bit funny with tablets...didn't get on well with HRT, and diazepam makes me feel completely spaced out for hours and hours (even the low dose) but I quite like that hahah!  But... I have had absolutely no problems with citalopram.  I didn't feel a thing - just took the tablet and got on with it.  Thought about it for a few days, wondering if I felt different...nope, so just forgot about it.  It kicked in properly after about two weeks for me, just woke up one day and felt so much happier in my own skin, much less anxious, (remember how bad I was?) stopped staring glumly into space and started singing again as I was going round the house!  I felt sort of calmly excited, and looking forward to things again.  Even the thought of reading a new book or watching something interesting on telly got me in a good mood, and I had been so down and miserable before...nothing made me happy, I had lost my joy.  ONLY down side was that increased my appetite, but heyho, I feel great.  Oh!  Also got my libido back as I mentioned in a previous thread, not sure if it was the citalopram or not (not usual for a SSRI) but I am not complaining!

I hope you get on OK with it.  It really is amazing when you get the brain chemicals sorted out just how much of a difference it makes to your life. 

Edit: forgot to mention I have also been on Prozac in the past, it worked well for me too years ago when I was suffering PTSD after son had horrible accident and I got very depressed.    Citalopram is better for anxiety.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:48:51 PM by sweet pea »

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »

Thanks Sweet pea.

I will take my first one tonight with my dinner and I really hope I do as well on them as you have. Great to hear a really positive result.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

Fingers crossed HB!

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »

Feeling a bit sick at the moment. Off to bed soon so hopefully it will have passed by the morning.

Honeyb
X

Elena

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »

Probably anxiety?  Hope you sleep well :)

littleminnie

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »

How did it go HB?

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »

I wish I could say it has gone well but I can't.
I feel as if I have been hit by a bus.
I have a stinking headache and feel very very sick. It was only through willpower this morning that I managed to hang onto my breakfast.
I am sweaty and shaky.

I don't know that I can cope with this to be honest but don't want to give up. I knew I would have some side effects but if one pill does this what on earth will the next one do.
I am so disappointed. My poor hubby is flapping around me not knowing if I am going to keel over.

Just to add insult to injury the dog has a tummy bug and he will have to take her to the vet.

What do I do .....carry on, stop, cut the pill in half and hope there are less side effects that way.

So sad about this.....really want to have a good cry. If ADs don't suit what else is there for me.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »

Honeybun - you are on half dose at 10mg - for anxiety you usually start at 10 and then up it to 20mg once side effects have lessened. These side effects are typical I'm afraid but will get better. My doc signs her patients off work for two weeks when starting any SSRI as you do need this time to adjust. They made my son feel very sleepy - in fact he yawned his way through the first week - huge loud yawns and slept a lot. Tell yourself that this will pass and that you will then begin to get your life back. This is from the NHS website

"The side effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can be troublesome at first but generally improve with time.
It is important to persist with treatment, even if you are affected by side effects, as it will take several weeks before you begin to benefit from treatment.
With time you should find the benefits of treatment outweigh problems related to side effects.
Common side effects

Common side effects of SSRIs, affecting around one in 10 people include:
feeling sick
low sex drive
difficulty achieving orgasm during sex or masturbation
in men, difficulty obtaining or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction)
blurred vision
diarrhoea or constipation
dizziness
dry mouth
feeling agitated or shaky
not sleeping well (insomnia) or, alternatively, feeling very sleepy
loss of appetite
excessive sweating
yawning
These side effects should improve over time, although some can occasionally persist."

If you really can't tolerate them then I believe that the SNRI's have less side effects and it may be worth asking for these instead although I am not sure how well they work for anxiety.

Taz x

littleminnie

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

The symptoms will settle.  Do you think you could be sweaty and shaky because you are anxious about the side effects? Take paracetamol for the headache and suck a mint for the nausea. See how you feel later on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5