Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Worrys about getting older  (Read 20308 times)

Elena

Re: Worrys about getting older
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »

Wow Pixie and Evenstar I am impressed. I wouldnt touch electricity but I have fixed the toilet a few times and unblocked a drain.  By hand  ???

HB I agree with CLKD.  No way should you take on your aunt as well. 

honeybun

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

I have no intention of getting involved with my aunt's care in any form.

As I have said I am not alone in this. My sister tried to help but now has realised it's far too much so it's down to social services. I don't think it will last long. She will not manage and will end up back in the system. My sis had found her a wonderful care home and my cousin had visited to check it out as she is a sister in a nursing home and knew what to look for. My aunt refused and now thinks everyone was conspiring against her and is stealing from her. Time to step back......very far back.

I have enough problems coping with my own mother.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »

I sat and gazed at DH earlier today, think it freaked him out  ;D  ..... told him I was absorbing memories  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

Was he doing something memorable CLKD?   ;D

Not much point in worrying too much about what is ahead. What will be will be I guess.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

Nope.  Dozing on the patio after lunch  ;D  .... but I do worry  :-\  :sigh:

Meggie

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »

Crikey - it's taken me an age to read this thread.

I too worry about my mortality - it crosses my mind that when my Mum & Dad were around I always had someone I could turn to.  Now, I'm at the top of the ladder, my parents did the best they could in giving me the building blocks of life - I loved them dearly.  I too have moments when I feel "maudlin" and worry what is ahead for me, as a teenager I used to have horrendous nightmares and wake in a cold sweat because I was afraid of death.  It is something we cannot change or stop happening - as we were born then we will die ..... I just hope that whichever way I am taken, I don't suffer like my parents did.

I refuse to dwell on what 'may' happen to me - it is wasted energy which can be used more positively.

Meggie

Lucky Stone

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »

You are right Meggie, I don't dwell on stuff but just have the odd moment. I'm not actually scared of dying although want to live for a bit longer if possible  ::) but one thing I am is pretty capable with managing things. I do our finances anyway and can wire a plug and light socket, change a wheel on the car, wallpaper and paint and can often work out what to do when something breaks. But then I lived on my own for 11 years and had to (my dad also died young and it's amazing what you have to do in an emergency). I do rely now more on OH because he will do things rather than me, it's a man thing, but I don't think I have forgotten how, just a bit rusty.

honeybun

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

CLKD if you keep this up you will worry the poor man into an early grave.

What's the point. I really don't mind the dying but it's the manner in which I get there that concerns me.

Now I am going to ask a thorny question.

Euthanasia.......how do you feel about it. Do you think we are entitled to end our lives in the way we want or have our loved ones make the decision for us.

Perhaps that's a different topic on its own.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »

Don't worry HoneyBun - he is quite capable of 'shutting' off  ;D

catlady

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »

I was so pleased to read this thread and know it's not just me with these fears.
Just lately I feel really scared of anything happening to hubby and being left alone.
I have fibromyalgia so everythings a chore to do, some things impossible!
I can't drive so would be housebound if left on my own.  I've gotten more panicky about it recently
as hubby was in hospital for 10 days,  felt so lonely and had a few teary nights, I did cope though
with my daughters help, but she has a life of her own and I feel bad having to ask to be taken food shopping etc.     I'm seriously thinking of moving from my home into a bungalow as I think
it would be easier to cope with the running of it.  I do get very stressed at the thought of one day being alone, I've no friends so it's hard.

Ann x

Taz2

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »

Ann - although it is very difficult with the pain and fatigue that fibro can bring you have got time to change your circumstances and, for instance, make friends. Try not to isolate yourself but maybe join a group of like minded people. In this way should something happen to your husband then you will still have people you can turn to.  Friends don't just materialise you need to meet them. I know this is difficult but it isn't impossible - it will be like you taking  a bit of control over your future.  Is there anything you are interested in or is there even a fibro group near to you?

Taz x

catlady

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »

Hi Taz
There isn't a fibro group near me. :(  I have a few interests but I can't drive so I can't
get to any classes or such, can't get a bus as bus stop too far from me to walk to.

I am very isolated as live in a small village with no neighbours going by..
Ah well no use worrying I suppose, just go with the flow.  ::)

Ann x

Elena

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »

Ann if you are considering moving to a bungalow would this be a good time to start that process?  You could go somewhere that isnt as isolated, nearer your daughter maybe?  Of if not that, at least somewhere that  you could get out to see people and do things.

Evenstar

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »

Wow Pixie and Evenstar I am impressed. I wouldnt touch electricity but I have fixed the toilet a few times and unblocked a drain.  By hand  ???

HB I agree with CLKD.  No way should you take on your aunt as well.

Its actually not that hard once someone has shown you how to do it. :) Think I'd rather wire up than unblock a toilet ;D

Elena

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »

Ah but would I remember what I had been shown? :(

It was a drain I unblocked.  Not pleasant but nowhere near as bad as a toilet  :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5