Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 151387 times)

Blue

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »

We are still getting overnight frosts, so I can't put anything out yet. :'( :'(
Seeds are sitting on window sill.

I bought a Whitebeam tree from Morrisons, didn't water it and hoped I'd have it in ground by now.
Its in almost full leaf, in a plastic bucket, in my sitting room.
It looks really nice. Its on a Rowan root stock, must be to keep it small. I may just keep it inside. ;D

Meggie

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

10 days ago, just before going on holiday, I planted 10 kidney beans assuming they would take 2-3 weeks to germinate. How wrong was I?  Returned Sunday to find that the beans are now 1" high and need something to climb up .... very soon !  The purple sprouting broccolli seeds are also 1" tall so I have to pot on ready for planting in their permanent position next month.  The weather has been strange but something is making the veggies grow.  I'm putting tomatoes into the garden next wee !!!

Happy Gardening

Meggie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »

Far too cold to put anything out yet.  Here in the Midlands we are threatened with frosts  :o - DH has beans and peas under glass which are growing like fury daily, but need covering at night.  Out with the newspaper then  ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

Has anyone grown morning glory from seed? Mine germinated in just a few days and are really growing fast with huge leaves. I wondered how succesful they are and when I should plant out?

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »

They can be really successful and very very pretty - unless you put them out too early  ;) - end of May beginning of June in the garden, pot on if they are to be in a greenhouse or sheltered behind glass.  What colours?

I found a clematis in a pot which has 'gone' through the Winter unscathed, I think I've found aplace int he garden for him - but am in 'best' trousers so it will need to wait until tomorrow  ::)

bramble

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »

Normally depends where you are PN as far as planting out goes. I would start to harden off 3rd week in May and plant out at the end of May. That's for us up north.  Down south can be up to 3 weeks ahead of us up north but they have had it cold this year as well so I would stick to the above time scales as well for down south unless you live in a really mild and sheltered part of the country.
Bramble

littleminnie

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »

OH put a 'greening treatment' on the lawn last week. It has actually worked, looks really good.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »

I remember my OH doing that. It was a thing that you attached the hose to. He spent a lot of time walking up and down with the hose getting the amount just right. We waited for the lawn to look wonderful. Nothing happened.
We discovered that although the water was spraying through he had forgotten to take the cover off the treatment side.

Well watered but nothing else.

;D

It's not the only daft thing he has done over the years.

Honeyb
X

Meggie

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »

Bean Frame rigged up and Beans planted - still not put the tomatoes in as it's been so cold and wet - soon though.

Forecast improving for next week 25 +

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »

20+ is plenty warm enough for me  ;D

purplenanny

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »

The seeds are from a purple plant CLKD - not sure if they grow true to original colour? I hope so as it is my favourite colour ( PN ::)!)
I only gathered them a while ago while taking the original plants dead bits off. I think they are an annual? I bought the plant last year and it was so beautiful, I am chuffed to pieces the seeds have grown so well. What colour is your clematis?

I am in the South Bramble, so hopefully end of May should be ok. I will have to support them somehow  in their pots until I can plant out then.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I won't know what colour the clematis cutting is until I get it set into the ground so that it can flower ......... it's hailing hard so no outside jobs getting done  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »

My passionfruit plant arrived this morning.

It is so cold today I have not even planted it in the poly tunnel. It's far too cold to be doing anything outside today.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »

Scented garden

This is what I aspire to but never achieve

http://www.quinessence.com/blog/how-to-create-a-scented-garden

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Me too  ::) - well geraniums are out in pots; clematis is set into the garden in a sheltered place; bees are busy in the fruit blossom and I've spent 2 hours weeding this morning ......... I had to shed layers because the sun was lovely and warm  :sunny:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55