Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 151478 times)

bramble

All things gardening
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »

Thought I would start a thread for all gardening stuff!

The year is marching on and I have just this week started on the garden. It is much later than normal - by this time all of the garden has been tidied up but the weather has been against me this year and I suppose for everyone else as well. I have a large garden with a pond and greenhouse so it takes me quite a while to get round it all in the spring. Amazing just how much you have to pick up even when you tidied up at the back end. I only have about a third of it done so far - I try and spend a few hours every day until it is finished. The days of spending a whole day working in the garden are past - I am not fit enough to do that now so I just take it in stages. Today I spent an hour clearing up one of the borders and then another hour digging out some Miscanthus grass that had crept too close to a path. It was a tough old job but glad now that it is done. I had been meaning to do it for a couple of years and never gotten round to it. So a big tick! But sore back now! Tomorrow I have a day off as too busy with other things but will continue on Saturday.

How is everyone else getting on with their gardens?
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
All things gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Slowly  :thankyou:.  Apart from Hellebores which have been OK, Spring flowers have been late opening as have the frogs been late arriving, there are several plops of spawn but I fear some has been frosted.  I expect the fish will eat most of the tadpoles  :o.  Birds are pairing.  DH dug over the remainder of the garden on Monday, he had done the rest earlier in Jan. when there were a few nicer days.  We drove through MK this morning and there are banks of primroses, they do well on banks especially if, like those, they have leaf cover in the hotter months.  My polyanths etc. never do well here  :-\ ....... and I LOVE them.

DH put the bamboo canes in where heplans to grow runners and peas but the ground is too cold and solid to consider putting any seeds in.  There has been a belter of a rain storm just now  :o - the first real rain since end of Jan.!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:14:03 PM by CLKD »

ariadne

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

Hubby and I tidied our very small garden last Saturday and on Sunday we made a start on the allotments.  Not a sign of blossom anywhere and I LOVE blossom.

I've not sown or planted a thing on the allotments yet- unheard of at this date.

I want to change my garden planting to something more drought proof . Maybe more evergreen things of different colours. But having said that, I looked at a photo of my garden from last year and it was full of pale pink Japanese Anemone's, purple Verbena and cerise Dahlias and it looked lovely. Maybe I shouldn't change it after all  :-\

Slightly off the subject - last year after a particularly long session with the shears, my right elbow was very painful and when I looked, it was red and swollen - hot too. It took quite a few days to go away. It has never bothered me since. Now again, after hoeing and digging at the weekend, my right forearm was aching and hurt to touch. When I looked, it is red and slightly swollen. What is this? Is it arthritis or just muscle strain?

ariadne xx

Blue

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

Sorry can't help Ariadne. I have arthritis and I do hurt after a few hours in the garden, could be a bit of both, strain from work which has made joints worse.

OH has decided that I have to grow our own veg this year, and has set aside a bit of ground. I can only do short stints as well Bramble.

Pigs were electric fenced in and have done all the hard work ;)

But ground is soo wet and sticky he hasn't been able to rotivate with his minature tractor. 
I have planted seeds which are sitting next to radiator. Hopefully germinated by time we come back.

Did manage to get shrubs trimmed in back garden tho.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »

We have not touched our garden at home but have been busy at our allotment.

We garden on raised beds and also have an inside bed in a polytunnel.

So far I have sown chard,beetroot, carrots and spring onions. Also tomato seeds are in as are a new variety of sweet peas for hanging baskets. I have also got sugar snap peas and mange tout sown.

We have covered the outside bed with polythene to try and get the soil to warm up a bit.

My seed potatoes are not in yet.

We have been busy bunnies and I just love my garden although like the rest it can only be done in short bursts as I am just not fit any more.

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

Oh HB - you have been so industrious. I'm very envious. I must get a move on. Have only bought onion sets so far  :(

This will never do. I must get a move on.

ariadne xx

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »

I've done even less, I've picked up a few twigs off the lawn.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:56:49 PM by littleminnie »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

I've not done a thing outside either.  Hubby cut the grass last weekend though.
We had our garden redesigned last Autumn so this will be our first proper year. I waited 22 years for this!! ;D

We have a large raised bed all down one side which is full of daffs, crocus and snowdrops which I planted last year.  There are also some shrubs in there.  At the back of this is a nice hedge which hubby keep very neat.

The other side is walled and has cotoneaster, honeysuckle  and rambling roses growing on it.
The third side has a fairly low (4 ft?) fence which another large bed all the way along with more shrubs etc.
In the corner is our summerhouse which we love and use a lot.  We have a large oval lawn which is completely surrounded by very nice sandstone pavers so we have 3 lovely corner areas where we can have chairs, benches, tubs etc.  Our garden is an absolute suntrap so we are very lucky.  It is also not overlooked so it's very private. There are loads of bird feeders and a bird bath and a double retractable clothes line, so it's only out when linen is!
The patio doors lead straight out from lounge.  Round the back of house we have THREE sheds which we can't live without (bikes, tools, junk etc) but these will all be hidden from view. Hubby has erected the frame and then there'll be panelling and a private gate.

I am hoping it will be fairly low maintenance now because I want to sit and enjoy the garden rather than seeing jobs to do.

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

Going to try Dwarf Sweetpeas and see if I have more luck then last year, just stocked up with more Lavender from Garden Centre, my other herbs look as if they have survived the Winter, they just need some warm sunshine now.

It rained here yesterday, the first time for over a month, the birds have started singing and hopefully the leaves will staring bursting through on the trees, everything is late this year where we live.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:13:11 PM by silverlady »

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »

Our back garden is mostly lawn - turned into a greyhound track with my two loons charging around on it ::)  Hubby is the gardener - I just potter and do little odd jobs.  He's already sown tomatoes, beans, peas, cucumbers and herbs but at the moment they're all up in the spare room.  I think he'll be out there this weekend as well digging up one of the beds ready to plant.  We have quite a large patio with a permanent gazebo on and lots of pots for flowers - lovely sitting out there in the warmer weather :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

Tennis elbow?

Lots of stuff going on in our various gardens then!  Heavy overnight rain will have done some good.  Everywhere is now too muddy to do much with  ::) but the ponds are topped up and the birds taking advantage of standing water around the plot.

bramble

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

We have had no rain here for the past month - snow yes rain no. I had to top the pond up and then fix the electrics before I could switch the pump on. Felt guilty today as I was with a friend and so did no gardening. Same tomorrow so hoping Sunday is a good day and I can get started again. Feeling my back today after the digging yesterday.

Bramble

bramble

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »

One of these years I am going to treat myself and get someone in to do a full day in the garden tidying it up in the spring. Then I can sit back and do more of the fluffy things like planning and planting etc. Dream on girl!
B.

lily

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Our garden is quite big, but mostly large patio, two beds of pebbles, steps down to grass, shed and greenhouse.  We have one veg patch next to greenhouse which we are going to put seed potatoes, carrots and onions in.  The greenhouse will have our tomatoes, chilli's, cucumber, leeks and bedding flowers.  Hubby does most of it though, I just enjoy!  Love to sit out in better weather with chiminea lit and cook burgers on it like a mini bbq.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »

This morning I shed several layers of jumpers as I spent 2 hours weeding - then my back began hurting so I came in, donned the layers and sat by the TV.  Now it is pouring so not a lot will be done! and I was doing so well  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55