Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 200959 times)

Meggie

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »

We have had 2 boilings of our own "home grown" potatoes
Kidney Beans are 6 ins up their frame
Onions filling out at the base .... stalks 2ft tall
Tomatoes about ready to go into the garden
Purple sprouting broccolli now 6 ins tall too
Strawberries - picking off 25 a day and have another 200 at different stages of growth.
2 rows of Carrots doing really well
Parsniisp .... gone to Australia I think !!!???

OH is going to build another raised bed so we have 7

All well considering the strange weather we are experiencing

Meggie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

POURING  >:(

bramble

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »

I've just put my sweet peas out to harden off after seeing them planting theirs in the Beechgrove garden. Tomatoes are planted in the greenhouse and only 6 ins high. I planted chilli seeds but they don't seem to have germinated. Drats!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »

Chillies can take ages  ::)
Rained heavily last evening.  Bright now ......... the plants are sparkling in the sun .......

Hurdity

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »

Went to the garden centre. Bought the basket plants and geraniums (with garden vouchers I got at Christmas!). Planted up five hanging baskets - outside in the sunshine before the thunder and pouring rain! Now in the greenhouse to burgeon (!) and wait for calm warm weather .....

Had to beg tomato plants from neighbours this year and garden very behind as went on hols for over 3 weeks, so nothing else planted. They have usually been planted in the greenhouse for a month now - but anyway this year it was so cold they would have probably even died in there!

Belatedly put last year's lupins and delphiniums that I grew from seed, into front garden. Hard to find space because cornflowers, hollyhocks, forget-me-nots and columbines have taken over!

Hurdity  x

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

OH another few weeks and it will be a riot of colour  :-*

Meggie

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Anyone grown dwarf sunflowers in terracotta pots - thought it might look good by the front door ?

Meggie

bramble

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »

Tried that a few years ago. They were ok but didn't last very long. only a couple of weeks in flower if that. The idea was better than the actual!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »

Today we have picked chunky bright red raspberries, long runner beans, large carrots dug for tea; DH is picking hazelnuts ……… we have roses still growing, lavender and nasturtiums.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »

Hi CLKD - I was enjoying my garden today as well. I love sedum and they are looking wonderful at the moment. The hydrangeas and michaelmas daisies have that lovely soft pink of early autumn and my roses are doing another flush - this Indian summer we're having really extends the flowering.  I put in some winter pansies in pots and I've bought some lovely tulips from Morrisons ( only £2 for 12 bulbs! ) - to put in soon.  I've had some fab potatoes this year - Anja salad potatoes are really great. I must get some raspberry canes for next year - I do love raspberries. We have a glut of blackberries, plums and sloes in our surrounding area(not in our garden) at the moment - more liqueur making on the cards I think. Last year we made blackberry gin and vodka - just for medicinal purposes of cause!!! - actually gave most of this as presents at Christmas which went down very well.
I do love gardening but my 'back' doesn't - I'll be very stiff tomorrow.   DG x

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

Spiders  :o ……. I've found a large dead one in a corner  :'( with all that is flying in and out it's surprising that any spiders die in this house  ::)

They scuttle.  They lurk.  They hide in the folds of the bath towels, under the settee, behind the kettle ….. so out with 'em, grabs a large pint glass, piece of card and catch 'em.  1 last night tried to climb back over the step  ;D ……..

Didn't see your reply DancingGirl! 

Apparently Indian Summers don't start until after the 1st sharp frost!  however  ::) ….. am enjoying the sunshine for as long as it lasts. 

Joyce

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

I planted begonias this year, very sad & pathetic they've been, yet a couple of extra ones I shoved in a pot & they are huge.  Grrr

One hydrangea is planted in rockery & has abundance of beautiful flowers, another in a pot 1 single head of flowers. The potted one is getting put in ground next year, hope it thrives.

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

Hydrangas can sulk if not in the 'right' place.  They like plenty to drink.  1 of mine has few flowers on but they are blowsy, white turning to pink as they die off. 

I don't do begonias, in fact very little bedding looks good here.   ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »

>:( I absolutely hate the autumn spiders!  I have been gardening today and the amount of webs I have put my head through is unbelievable! Their webs are so strong! I know they do good but it really does spoil my time in the garden. I never seem to see them before I am 'webbed' :o

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »

Spider silk is supposedly the strongest ???? on Earth.
They usually spring them across the garden at gob height  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56