General Discussion > This 'n' That

New book about being a teenager in the 70's

(1/9) > >>

Taz2:
This looks an interesting read for those of us who were teenagers in the 70's. You can save a third by buying it on Amazon http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fashion-beauty/388595/Growing-up-in-the-decade-that-style-forgot

Taz x

Rowan:
Clogs, over the knee socks  :o those shorts with bibs forgot what we called them, I did like the hippy stuff too, cheese cloth and long skirts and those Platte headbands that we wore around our foreheads like Twiggie.

Maybe best we forget them  ;D ;D

Taz2:
It's more than that though - it's about how we had a social life without any internet, phones, even landlines in a lot of cases, only one television per house. The only way to find out if someone was in or if they were coming out was to walk to their house and knock on the door. Face to face talking? Wow!!

I'm still called a hippy. Do you mean hot pants?

Taz x  ;D

Rowan:
That's it Hot Pants.

I often think about how on earth we managed without todays technology, we take it all for granted, yet we did and it was all normal and we were probably just as happy or unhappy as we are today.

Going to look on Amazon for the book.

Pennyfarthing:
Looks really interesting Taz. Thanks.

I remember going to a Canned Heat concert and buying my first ever pair of Loon pants and a black grandad style T shirt covered in little mirrors and embroidery.  I also remember wearing HUGE wooden platform clogs - I think they were about 5" high in they had studs along where the leather joined the wood. 

I had long straight hair,as did all my friends.  Usually left to hang straight and parted down the middle but sometimes in hippy-style plaits with some flowers stuck in for good effect. 

We didn't have a phone at home but the phone box at the end of our road was my own personal phone room. ;D ;D  Our school had a huge catchment area and I knew all the phone box numbers for miles around.  There wasn't much for kids to do in rural areas except hang around the phone box.  I'm laughing as I type this but it is absolutely true. ;D  You just rang the number of the phonebox in a village, say 10 miles away and some kid would answer and go and fetch your friend for you or get them to call back to your phone box. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version