Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zinc Supplement.  (Read 10506 times)

Hurdity

Re: Zinc Supplement.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

OK now I really am confused - as the one says take zinc to alleviate loss of sense of smell/taste and the info from Trey says the reverse - that zinc supplements ( as nasal sprays) can lead to loss of sense of smell. Anything from FDA is bound to be reputable, but Rowan's link is quoting Journal of Dental Reserach (re taste) so also reputable. Oh well as I don't plan to take it I will just remain confused!

Hurdity x

Milliemoo

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

Thanks Rowan, that's very reassuring and an easy way to resolve the problem :)

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

Hurdity I think the confusion may lie where a deficiency of zinc can cause certain conditions, but adding extra zinc e.g. nasal sprays (cold treatments) where there in no lack of zinc may be detrimental, I did a search and did not find much on this but did not use google scholar.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/zinc-for-the-common-cold-not-for-me-201102171498  Trey was right.

The firms maintain their products do not cause lack of smell and taste. I don't know if they have been withdrawn or not.

It is very common to lose sense of taste and smell with colds and flu for a while, some are unlucky enough for this to be permanent.

Think the best thing is to pop a few pumpkin seeds daily, and enjoy a boiled egg and soldiers with your breakfast :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:20:27 PM by Rowan »

Milliemoo

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »

Had my poached egg but run out of orange juice!  I did have a home made fruit smoothie for breakfast though and that had orange juice in it :)
Pages: 1 [2]