Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zinc Supplement.  (Read 10484 times)

Ann

Zinc Supplement.
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a zinc supplement.
All the ones Iv'e found contain fillers which I don't want.
Any advice anyone ?

Ann x

Hurdity

Re: Zinc Supplement.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »

I was just wondering why you are wanting to take extra zinc -perhaps your doctor has advised this?

From what I read on the site below it is really better to make sure your diet includes a variety of foods which should give you enough, unless you have been shown to be deficient.

There is some really good information on Vitamins and Minerals on the NHS website where they are all listed in alphabetical order.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-minerals/pages/other-vitamins-minerals.aspx

This is what it says about zinc:

How much zinc do I need?

The amount of zinc you need is about:

5.5-9.5mg a day for men
    4-7mg a day for women

You should be able to get all the zinc you need from your daily diet.

What happens if I take too much zinc?

Taking high doses of zinc reduces the amount of copper the body can absorb. This can lead to anaemia and to weakening of the bones.
What does the Department of Health advise?

You should be able to get all the zinc you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take zinc supplements, it is important not to take too much because this could be harmful.

Do not take more than 25mg of zinc supplements a day, unless advised to by a doctor.

Hope this helps - but maybe not what you are looking for!

Hurdity x

Trey

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

Zinc is also thought to reduce the ability to taste in older people.

Milliemoo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

We've been talking about zinc in relation to energy levels.  I was wondering the same as Ann as I've checked the side of my multi vitamin and mineral supplements and they dont contain zinc.  Looked for foods containing zinc on the web and they dont appeal to me :(

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »

Well I still maintain from what I've read you should be able to get sufficient in your diet unless the diet is not healthy or deficiency has been diagnosed.
Surely you must enjoy some of these Milliemoo?!
(from the same website)
Good sources of zinc

Zinc is found widely in the environment. Good food sources of zinc include:

meat
    shellfish
    milk
    dairy foods, such as cheese
    bread
    cereal products, such as wheat germ.

Hurdity x

Milliemoo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »

Milk and cheese Hurdity and that's about it  :-\

Ann

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »

I don't eat meat, shellfish, dairy foods , cereals or drink  milk, I only have
a little bread so I'm sure I'm deficient in zinc.

Iv'e read that zinc helps to ward off colds too,  I catch every bug going so again
I would like to try a zinc supplement to see if it makes a difference.

Ann x

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »

Zinc is a very beneficial mineral especially for women the easiest way to take it if you feel you need a supplement in in a combined vitamin and mineral supplement, one of the better ones like Solgar. It is considered one of the most important minerals for the body. It is not stored in the body, it also has an affinity with the skin.

An easy way to get enough zinc is simply to have a boiled egg each morning for your breakfast, with a glass of orange juice.

Here are some of the health of zinc http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/health-benefits-of-zinc.html

One of the indication that you are lacking in zinc is losing ones taste and smell  (hypogeusia)  l http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/980/ 

A zinc test is sometimes used to detect this.

Milliemoo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »

Thanks for that Rowan, must the egg be boiled or can it be poached?  Also, I think we are told to limit the number of eggs we eat due to cholesterol levels...

Ann scuse me ignorance but what did you mean by fillers?

My multivitamins are about to run out so will look for one containing zinc.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

I prefer mine boiled or poached Milliemoo.

Here is what the British heart Foundation says http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920

My OH  prescribes to the monthly magazine called "Heart Matters" from them, its free!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »

Ann - do you mind my asking what do you eat? I mean are you eating a balanced healthy diet? It is surely better to make sure you get what you need from foods than take supplements.

No offence meant but this is just something I believe quite strongly. H & B are stuffed full of every alternative remedy and supplement under the sun which we are persuaded are needed to do us good but makes large profits for those that push them! Of course some are beneficial ..... but in moderation.

Now you're getting me worried Rowan as my sense of smell and taste has definitely decreased but someone mentioned it was an age thing? I can't possibly be deficient in zinc through diet as mine is very healthy and varied and I rarely eat processed foods... ???

Hurdity  x

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

Hurdity I would not worry at all, it is a condition and I am sure you do not have it ( the metallic taste in pregnancy , that's why zinc is important, certain drugs, neuro problems as in strokes) , sense of taste can decline as we get older and is harmless.

There was a book I read years ago called I am sure "Think zinc" I will have a search. It  might have been by Edward de Bono I might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:07:34 PM by Rowan »

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

Did you mean me?
Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »

Sorry Hurdity I did mean you ::) and I was answerering your query.

"Now you're getting me worried Rowan as my sense of smell and taste has definitely decreased but someone mentioned it was an age thing? I can't possibly be deficient in zinc through diet as mine is very healthy and varied and I rarely eat processed foods... ???"

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:11:22 PM by Rowan »

Trey

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

Please no one take offense.  Just what I read and found to be true with Zicam

WebMD Health News Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

July 19, 2010 -- Just over a year ago, the FDA warned that zinc-containing intranasal cold remedies might cause loss of sense of smell.

Now a researcher who has long argued that the sprays were harmful says he has scientific evidence to back up the claim.

Last summer, the FDA warned consumers to stop using three zinc-containing Zicam products: Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs, and Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs for kids. The federal regulators cited 130 reports of loss of sense of smell among users of the products.

Zicam manufacturer Matrixx Initiatives pulled the three products from the shelves, but the company maintains that there is no link between their use and loss of smell.

In the newly reported analysis, researchers applied a statistical method used to establish a cause-and-effect link between an environmental exposure and development of a disease in an effort to confirm that zinc-containing nasal products can cause loss of sense of smell, known medically as anosmia.

University of California, San Diego professor Terence M. Davidson, MD, says the analysis supports the hypothesis.

He adds that the effectiveness of zinc-containing products for preventing or shortening the duration of colds has never been proven.

“Given that they do absolutely no good for colds and given that there is potential for harm, I see no point in putting any zinc gluconate products in the nose,” Davidson tells WebMD.
Pages: [1] 2