Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: Nose Bleeds Anyone.  (Read 7539 times)

Ann

Nose Bleeds Anyone.
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

I suffer with nose bleeds and wondered if anyone else does ?
I had one yesterday that lasted nearly 2 hours!

I've had my nose cauterised 6 times and it looks like I'm going to need it doing again. :(

Just wondering what's the best thing you do to stop a bleed ?

Ann x

honeybun

Re: Nose Bleeds Anyone.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

My son has had this for years and has had it cauterized five times.

He uses Naseptin occasionally and it helps. It's for small infections which are very common.
He always pinches his nostrils together and hold for 15mins and that usually does the trick.
You can buy little plugs which you put up your nose. They swell and stop the bleeding.
It's a horrible thing and can be distressing.
My son started with nose bleeds when he was only 2. He is nearly 24 now and still suffering.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »

Yes me Ann! I have had mine cauterised too but quite a few years ago now and it worked for a long time. I pinch my nostrils really tightly together for at least fifteen minutes. If that doesn't work I try again for another fifteen minutes which has always stopped it. Advice is to contact dr for medical advice if it lasts for longer than half an hour. There is a thread on here somewhere about nosebleeds - I think I started it!!

I find them distressing and very disrupting especially if driving. I hate mine!

Taz x

Ann

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »

Hi Honeyb
Sorry your son suffers with nose bleeds too, must have been worrying for you
when he started them at only 2..   Can you get the nose plugs from the chemist  ?

Ann x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »

Yes you can Ann.  It's surprising how many nosebleeds we have to deal with in school each week. Most of them are due to fierce picking I reckon!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »

I can't find the old thread. Info here though http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Nosebleed/Pages/Introduction.aspx  although it doesn't tell you how to carry on working or driving while pinching your nostrils!

Taz x

Ann

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »

Hi Taz
Sorry you suffer too.  They are horrible , mine just come out of the blue with no warning.
One of my GP's does cauterizing so I'm going to see if he will do mine again.
Had it cauterised at the ENT clinic before, last time it was sooo painful but it was worth it
as I never had another bleed for 11 months.

I get scared to go out after I've had one in case it starts again. :(

Thanks for the info, I will try to get some nose plugs tomorrow.

Ann x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

I know exactly how you feel Ann. I had both sides of mine done at the same time which apparently is not recommended but nobody asked me! It did last for 10 years though. Have you had your blood pressure checked lately just to be on the safe side?

Taz x

kes

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

I had my right nostril, which habitually bled during my second pregnancy, cauterized once.  Never again, more painful than childbirth and the effect lasted about 3 months; then I got the nosebleeds again, and I had them for about 15 years.  Now I only ever get them very occasionally, and it is always in the week before a period.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

One tip that can work Ann is to smear a teeny amount of vaseline just inside the nostrils at bedtime. Nosebleeds are often caused by the delicate membranes inside the nose drying out and this keeps them moist. Yucky to think about but it does work.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

There seem to be a couple of triggers for my sons nose bleeds.

He has hay fever and that can trigger a bleed. Also if he gets worked up and looses his temper. It always triggers a nose bleed. I think his blood pressure goes up and the week blood vessel just gives up and bleeds.

Have you had your blood pressure taken recently and have you spotted a pattern.

Honeyb
X

lindyloo

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »

hi ann pinch yr nose just below bony bit  it will hurt ! keep pressure up for at least 10 min !

love Lindyloo xx

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

We were told it was the bottom of the nostrils.

I did have to get the GP out just the once.....He packed the nostril. Now the little plugs do that.

Every time I changed my sons bed he bled on it. He has ruined carpets and towels and numerous pairs of PJs.

It was very distressing when he was little. The school kept phoning me. I used to go and sit with him and then send him back to class.It used to happen at least twice as week.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

It's where the nostrils flare out a bit - you can feel where the bony part ends and thats where you have to pinch. If you just pinch the bottom of the nostrils the blood can then back up into the nose and down the throat.

I was ok with them until my dad had one of the ones you just cant stop - anterior or posterior? Anyway surgery is the only answer and he was in hospital at the time and the nurses were useless and didn't know what to do and I was left for an hour with my poor old dad bleeding everywhere. It was so frightening and ever since I have worried that I might get one of those and nobody will know how to help. In the end I made such a fuss that they did buzz for a doctor and he sent him straight down to theatre where he had to have it fixed and a unit of blood to replace what he had lost.

Taz x

Ann

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »

How scary Taz.   When it goes on and on you get frightened it won't stop.
I have had my blood pressure checked, ok there.

I revert back to being about 10 years old when I get one,  it just scares me so much. ::)
I've made an appointment with a GP that does cauterising so hopefully he will
do it next week. Fingers crossed !!

Aww Honeyb, poor son and you.  :-*

Ann x