Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Frozen shoulder  (Read 37422 times)

panda762

Frozen shoulder
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »

5-6 weeks ago my arms/shoulders started to ache and whenever I reached over or tried to put my arms behind me I got severe pain. I knew I hadn't injured myself so put it down to muscle strain, thinking it'd go away eventually.

2 weeks later, still no improvement and things like un-hooking my bra were almost impossible.

Decided against seeing a GP as we were going on holiday and I figured the heat (Gran Canaria) and the R&R would definitely help - it didn't.

Got back to the UK and saw a GP who diagnosed 'probable' frozen shoulders. Was given blood test forms (rheumatic stuff, full blood count and so forth) and told that I probably need injections. Obviously, I've googled it to death and now know all about the prognosis (probably shouldn't have done that!) I was given a prescription for Naproxen 500mg (one twice a day) and Solpadol 30/500 tablets (two to be taken 4 times a day) but even though I'm now all spaced out  ::) the pain is just as bad, and getting worse. I was also told that even though it hurts I have to keep my arms as mobile as possible to avoid needing physio when the inevitable stiffness phase kicks in (oh joy). All I actually want to do is keep both arms glued to my sides!

Needless to say, the jolly old NHS cancelled my blood tests due to the nurse being ill (of course, they couldn't just get an agency nurse to do it) and as I didn't fancy catching norovirus from any of the local hospitals I decided to wait until the next available appointment at the GP surgery.....31st December :(

I have no idea why I have this (GP said it's just "one of those things") or why I have it in both arms.

Does anyone else have any experience of frozen shoulder?
Did the injections work?
How long did the painful stage last?
How long did the stiff phase last?

I feel so pathetic wandering around the house all miserable moaning "My arms ache" but they really REALLY do (24/7).

Any help / advice gratefully received x

Trey

Re: Frozen shoulder
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »

I will bet my nursing license that you have Polymyalgia Rheumatica.  You need a sed rate drawn and you need to be treated.  No harm in Googling it I think.  Will help you be educated for GP visit.  It eventually goes away, but needs treatment and it takes quite a long while.  My licenses are expired and I can't diagnose, but this just seems awfully obvious, but I could always be wrong as don't have all the facts, thus only a laymen's opinion.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »

Polymyagia R needs treatment - usually steroids.  My Mum had this and was unable to move any joints at all, Dad needed to dress her for several months.

Frozen shoulder will go on it's own .......... but takes a bout 2 years if the patient is able to sit completely still  ::).  But as we breath, sneeze, talk, move ...........

Frozen shoulder can be diagnosed by: if the sufferer is unable to lift arms high enough to reach something off the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard .......... maybe speak with a physio before C.mas?

borchesterlass

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »

I had a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago and had it manipulated under GA followed by about 6 months physio , now no problem all.

panda762

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »

Thank you for all the swift responses!!

I already have osteoarthritis in my neck and undiagnosed (fairly certain trapped nerve) in my lower back, so could well do without the extra aches and pains.

Did google Polymyalgia Rheumatica and while I can see similarities I definitely don't have weight loss or loss of appetite (I wish!!). I'm actually comfort eating due to the pain :(

I was already due to get various blood tests due to other meds inc. statins (renal profile, liver profile & proteins, glucose, thyroid function and lipids), but she's added full blood count, ESR, rheumatoid factor, bone profile, urate, and written what seems to be "CRD please" in the 'other tests/comments section of the form.

I was really frustrated to get the blood tests postponed as it'll be 2nd January before I get my follow-up appointment to discuss results and treatment, and presumably I'll then be put on a waiting list for injections or whatever.

I can lift both arms up (slowly & careful) straight in front of me but if I twist to the left or right I get a really sharp pain under my armpit / right inside the joint. The pain lasts for several minutes.

I want to avoid physio if humanly possible (long waiting list on NHS and you only get 6 x 30 minute sessions) but my priority at the moment is simply to get adequate pain relief and be able to move my arms properly.

xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

:-\  ???  why avoid physio?  It's the way to find out how much movement is 'allowed'  ;)

Frozen shoulder pain can also be felt across the top of the shoulder in the muscle which attaches to the neck - and it's an 'ouch' type pain  :o ........... how is it this morning?

panda762

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »

Hi CLKD,

I've had quite a bit of NHS physio in the past few years and it's never been helpful :(
The sessions are always brief and I have never been given particularly useful information (in fact, some has caused more pain).

I also had massage/acupuncture in the past for other pains but after forking out £200 I could see it wasn't helping so I stopped going. I've been under a pain consultant for many years and have been through all manner of diagnostic tests, treatments, medications.....

Today it's much like it's been the past week - not good....
My arthritis in my neck isn't helping (wet weather) so it's all beginning to 'merge'.

The meds probably aren't really helping, although I don't really want to stop taking them to find out!

It's just wearing me down at the moment  :'(

x

Trey

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »

It would be unusual to have two frozen shoulders at once.  I hope you get seen soon as must be miserable.  Two shoulders and neck biggest symptom of polymyalgia Rheumatica and the low steroid treatment relieves pain quickly and helps prevent complications.  I've known several people with this and they had no weight loss and they all eventually recovered fully.  In any case, hope you get relief.

panda762

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

Thanks Trey :)

Yes, I'm now questioning the initial diagnosis.
Just frustrated my blood tests got cancelled on Monday (and the follow-up appt I had booked for Wednesday)  leaving me waiting around for a further fortnight (over xmas) just having to 'deal with it'.

I know I could go to one of the local hospitals and get the bloods done, but I'd have to hang around for ages and risk being infected with flu / norovirus / etc... and even then there's no guarantee I could get a GP follow-up appointment any sooner than 2nd Jan. (Although if they cancel my blood tests again I'll have no choice but to get them done elsewhere).

Kicking myself for not seeing a GP sooner (but that's not going to do me any good).

xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »

If you kick yourself you'll have more bruising  ;) ........ and the blood tests may not 'prove' very much anyway so don't rush into them. It's often a way for GPs to avoid offering treatment particularly at busy times of the year  ::)

Keep taking the pain meds, keep warm and move as much as the pain will allow.  Physio given by a good physio should help ........ otherwise it was the wrong suggestion in the first place  :-\ - there are specific exercises for a diagnosed frozen shoulder which allow gravity to help.

Trey

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

Panda, the only blood test that will point toward poly m is the SED rate.  I would think a trial of low dose steroids will sort it out quickly.  I'm getting close to diagnosing here and don't want Emma to censor me so will just wish you good luck on appt. I do not blame you for avoiding flu etc.

panda762

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »

Lol, yes - more bruising would simply add to my woes :)

I agree that the bloods may not come up with the answers but I'm hopeful they'll point me in the right direction.

I'm taking the maximum dose of the pain meds I was given (despite the fact they appear to eat away at my brain-cells) and have put in a repeat prescription to avoid running out before I see the GP again.

I have the central heating on and have tried using hot-packs (although they help with the arthritis in my neck they do nothing to help the armpits/shoulders). I'm trying to move my arms a bit but it's not easy because I know that when I do it'll hurt :(

I agree that steroids may be the answer (although I'm not sure I can have them as I'm on a variety of other meds). I'm just a little worried about weight-gain (already 4 stones overweight.....and xmas won't help!)

Thank you all for the helpful messages and kind support  :thankyou:

xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »

Certainly steroids make people/pets eat but that weight gain can be lost as it's 'false'  ;)

Trey

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »

Panda, I get pain down outside of both arms when a nerve in my neck is compressed.  A MRI and EMG studies showed that is was disk problems. But my pain was very specific along a nerve path.  Sorry you are going through this.  It comes and goes depending on if I'm not careful with my neck, like painting a ceiling.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »

I get that pain in the arms and shoulders too due to a neck problem. When it is really playing up I can't lift my arms up to wash my hair or hang out washing etc. I have cervical spondy-something or other! I can never remember whether it is an osis or an itis  :)  I found NHS physio is great for this but I may just be lucky with the physios I have seen. Pain, numbness and horrible tingling in the arms were all to do with my neck problem.

Do you feel as if you have a fever at all as friends with PMR have always felt ill as well as incapacitated.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6