Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Not sure about going for a mammogram - advice please  (Read 17665 times)

Spadger

Not sure about going for a mammogram - advice please
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »

Hi ladies,

I have been called for my first mammogram, and feel reluctant to go after having read negative things about them.  I have read about over-diagnosis, mis-diagnosis leading to uneccessary treatment, and apart from the small amount of radiation in the x-ray, the compression needed can cause blood vessels to burst around a very small lump which may never have caused a problem, which then goes on to spread and become a problem....very confused. 

Hubby says I should go, my best friend has had one recently and said I should go (she reads up on nothing - ignorance is bliss in her world!).  I don't smoke, don't take HRT and there is no history of breast cancer in my family as far as I know. 

Spadger x

catweazle7

Re: Not sure about going for a mammogram - advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »

Spadger I declined my invitation earlier this year. I read up as much as I could and decided to self check, and then if I find anything untoward I'll take myself off to the GP.

Rowan posted a link recently to a presentation about breast screening stats - here I've found it:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20362.0.html

Have a read through our posts. A variety of different views but it might help you decide what's right for you.

Catweazle x
Keep Calm and Carry On

sweatybet

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »

Hi Spadger
I was called for my second mamo earlier this year and declined.  My reason, no family history of breast cancer.  All the breast cancer friends I have, have found there own lumps.  I am a nurse and work sometimes in the breast care unit assisting when women are ultrasounded.   I felt I was well informed to make my decision.

Often first timers are recalled as there is nothing to compare against. 

Do what you feel is best for you.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »

My SIL found her lump, but then she was only in her early 40's and not in the age group to be invited for a mammogram. 

However, my old boss also did her own checks, but went along for the mammogram anyway and just as well she did as it was discovered she had a very small cancerous lump, which she would never have found until it was much larger.  As a result she needed only minimal treatment - radiation.  She has been fine ever since.

It's a matter of personal choice, but I go when invited.

lady57

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

I have been for 2 and neither caused any problems apart from mild discomfort because i don't have much to put in the scanner  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »

I would always go. Although it is horrible to think of having to go through unnecessary treatment it is even worse to ignore the appointment and then find out that you have breast cancer and it may be too late.

Taz x

tropical-moment

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

My friend at work went for hers, they found a lump (she didn't feel anything when examining herself) was Breast Cancer and she had lump remover, chemo and radiotherapy this was just over a year ago.

My 85 years old mom recently found a lump went to Drs, hospital has Mamo, ultrasound and biopsy. Diagnosed with Breast Cancer. (treatmant is tablets for the moment). No breast cancer in family. I will go and have mine again next year when called. But it is a personal choice if we go or not.

TM
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain!  
"For unto each life, a little rain must fall."

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »

I would never refuse.  As for a lump popping, that's a new one on me and it's likely to have been a cyst which might pop anyway.

My cancer was not found on mammogram but at self examination.  The lump was so small it didn't show on the X-ray I had undergone 3 months prior to finding the lump.  It was bening on removal but at histology it was found to have cell changes at the rim so further treatment was given.

ALL women have choices.  NO woman needs to undergo 'un-necessary' surgery! However, when given the 'C' word people panic and tend to be swept along with what is suggested.  I felt that the sooner I could begin treatment: radiation: the sooner the 'bad' cells would be gone from my body.  But at no time did I feel rushed into decisions even though I was paying for the treatment.  My Surgeon knew exactly what type of cancer we were dealing with and gave advice all the way along.

Mammograms can be painful.  The one I had 3 weeks ago because I was concerned about nipple inversion didn't hurt at all.  Go along and talk to your GP if you are concerned about the whys and ifs.  Or contact a breast nurse for a chat.  Backup? is the Charity inthe back of my mind.

I was supposed to continue having yearly mammograms but as the time went by post surgery (1995) the gaps between checks became longer.  I have gone back into the NHS System because I will now be called on a regular basis.  I can postpone the appt. if I decide to. 
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

flushtered

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »

Is it age 50 that you are called for first one?  I would go, for first one anyway, to reassure myself as the sore bit I could feel and went to dr about is still there.  She said it was inflamed cartilege and can take 6 weeks to go, it has been over that now.   Like Jane, I do not have much to put in the scanner - does that matter?  I think that's why I found my sore bit as I am very bony just above my small ones.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »

I also have small boobs but I went and had my first one at 51.....I have had a mammogram before and also an ultra sound as I did have a lump years ago...it was a cyst.

I would not refuse a mammogram or a smear. We are so lucky in this country to have these things offered to us. For every woman who has been miss diagnosed I am sure there will have been dozens whose life has been saved.

My SIL had a lump found at a routine check. She has to have a breast removed but most importantly she is now fit and well and with us.

Sorry its a no brainer for me.

Honeyb
x

Ziggy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »

Mammograms can pick up cancerous changes long before you can actually feel the lump. I'd never miss one even though I had a call back after the last one which worried me sick but turned out that the abnormality they could see on the mammogram was scarring from previous surgery. I wouldn't even say they were painful, more uncomfortable.

Spadger

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »

Wow, so many different opinions and views, thank you all so much for sharing your own experiences and thoughts. Still undecided but will consider what I have read here. I am all for screening generally and always go for smear tests etc but this just worries me. If it was a scan of some sort I would feel so much better about it.

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:15 AM »

I didnt take HRT at 36 cos it was the same thing OHH HRT is bad doesnt really do any good in fact more harm
Look at me now 58 for the last 4 years abso severe atrophy no priods since 1995 and fanny is like an 80 year old
Thats even now th Vagifem if I was reasked now Id take it with out a moments thought to have kept my periods BLISS

So go get at least this first mamo done it is uncmfy squishy but no pain and no more harmful I htink than an XRAY
My generation had xrays at 4mnths pregnant no scans for us

My pal went cos a van was there she was 40 no cancer (like me) of anykind in family
They found a funny breast cancer the malig was on the base shed never have felt a lump till she was beyond help
Something like calcified? Taz you will know? Anyway she had all the lot removed radiation and that was 17years ago
Shes still here late 50s still as sexy and fun but imagie if shed not thought OH I may give that a go?????

catweazle7

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »

Just thought it might be worth re-posting this from the other thread I mentioned:

From the New England journal of medicine - estimated benefits and harms in 10 years of screening  2,500 women aged 50+:

One death from BC will be avoided.

1000 women will have at least one false alarm, undergoing an unnecessary biopsy.
BC will be overdiagnosed in 5-15 women who will be treated unnecessarily for a disease that would never threaten their lives.

Catweazle x
Keep Calm and Carry On

Suzi Q

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:03:57 AM »

Ah but Cat would you like to be the 1 I know I wouldnt
In the end it has to be a persons choice good bad or indifferent xxxxxxxxx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6