Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: full-time work  (Read 11021 times)

Bette

Re: full-time work
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »

Work/life balance is my aim now and I'm enjoying the challenge of a new line of work.
Must say that I envy you, san. I know that many would envy me, as we manage well financially as things are but I'm really struggling with not having more work. It's always been more of a vocation that a job really and I'm missing the sense of fulfilment that it brings me. I never imagined "retiring" as such, maybe just gradually cutting down. I'm afraid that 52 feels far to soon to be forced into that.  :(
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

hot&spicy

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »

I can relate to what you are saying bette. My self employment work has been pretty quiet over the summer to the point that some weeks I have forgotten I had a job. I have had a few new enquiries this last week which is good but it will take time for my workload to build up again. Most of my work is in the evenings so I have a lot of long empty days with not much structure - I get scared that this is it - I am too young to have so many empty days - feel like my life needs a massive overhaul work wise but not well enough consistently to do anything about it. Xxx

Bette

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »

:bighug: H&S
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

Cook

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »

Doing the childcare for the grandchildren and working keeps me more than busy. Plus looking after the older members of family  ::)

I found out that earning good money is great but I never had the energy or time to enjoy it. TBH I'm happy being poorer.

I love my work and I'd say it was vocational as the pay is pretty rubbish. I'd like to do more but then I'd miss out on the grandchildren and I enjoy them. They will grow and then I'll probably take on more work. Retirement isn't on the cards for me yet. OH is retried so working a few hours a day means I get to spend time with him to. Think that's the balance for me.

Suzi Q

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 05:15:31 AM »

Life is about living you work to live not the other way around
I will and did always do my best and a tad more but when I went home that was it
I wasnt paid to worry about patirents OK sometimes I did but mainly no you would go mad
The job that has made me the happiest is being a wife and MUM sad hey but so true for me

Bette

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »

Not sad, Suzi; in fact, happy for you. Different for me though. No children; an OH who I adore but we've both always loved our work (same line) so share it as a mutual interest/obsession. We do enjoy our free time together so retirement as such doesn't worry me. The difficult time is when he's busy working and I'm not. I try very hard to fill my time with "useful" things but it's all stuff which I prefer to fit round work rather than being the centre of my day. Same with looking after Mum; it's much easier to cope with her when I've worked for a couple of hours and then go over to do something for/with her. It's much harder when doing things for her is all that's in the diary for the week; makes staying cheerful round her all the harder.
Bette x

Suzi Q

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »

Hi Bette
no I meant sad as in sad sack hehehe
Loved being in the Royal Navy I loved my job it was so excting and was sad when with child I had to leave
The rules were differnt in the 70s but even if Id stayed I couldnt have done my job and be a MUM
I worked for CINC Comincheif doing things I still cant say It wouldnt have been possible  AND to go to a normal job NO!
I fill my life with books and walks and phone calls and computer stuff I do a bit of research for people do it for free too
Im waiting to see if I can work for Samaratins called Lifeline in Ozz I have the knowledge and experiance with drugs et
Bobbles and me ride the BIKE with the ULY world wide club every Sunday we are committee members
Last Saturday we did a ShownShine day for all ULY clubs in Qld and the public to raise money for palliative care
We organise with others lot of social gatherings as well 1 day a week I see a pal 1 day a week I do BIG shop (no car)
Weekends from Friday evening till Monday morning are abso full to the brim
EG Friday evening going out to dinner Saturday am Hairdreser Sat pm Chiropractor then to son& dinlaw 4 catch up Saturday night Brisbanes River fire with 3 f1 11s fly over we will go in to the CITY by BIKE
Sunday am Ride till 4pm then Sunday night its a ,lovely dinner and a DVD evening
I need the week to recover hehehehe I dont apologise to anyone cos I dont need to work for money anymore
Weve been so broke lived on Bread&Jam Monday to Thursday Had leccie on the free had holes in my shoes in Winter
Begged for more hours in work lost nearly everyhting in mid 30s and had to start from almost scratch again
So I apologise to knowone now I just try to give back if I can help I will and in doing that Im helped as well

EAB

• Every day brings another challenge
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

Can I come and live with you Suzi Q ?  Sounds exhausting but fun.
Xxx
Anne B

pixie

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

On the whole, I am glad I have a full time job and generally enjoy my work.I may go part time at some point.  Its also nice to have an income and i save up for holidays, so that I always have something to look forward to.  This makes a huge difference, especially in the winter months.  When I was off work following an operation, I had several years ago, I became restless and was wondering what I would do when I retire.  It was then that I started appreciating the fact that I do have a good job, especially as I got paid when I was off sick. I think it is difficult for young people these days, they don't have the same freedom as us in that they can get any job and there is much more pressure on them. :)

Suzi Q

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

Can I come and live with you Suzi Q ?  Sounds exhausting but fun.
Xxx

It is tonight we relaxed had Panang Thai Curry
Watched the directors cut of ALIEN on BLUE RAY bloody brilliant

As they say here COME ON DOWNNNNNNNNNNN

EAB

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

Thai curry and Alien. Perfect mix. Will book my flight now!!
Xxx
Anne B

lollipop

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »

hi i am self employed  childminder and look after 8 children not at the same time luckly,i do 60hrs plus start at 6 an the last one goes at 6ish i am 48,sum days feeling 90 but i think the kids keep me going,got 3 of my own but grown up so no trouble to me.dont wnt to be doin this for to many years it can be very nackering,keep saying i wud like a career change, but nothing pays as good and i want to save for me n hubby to retire comfortably so hey hoy back to shitty nappies :'(

EAB

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »

You must have some amount of stamina Lollipop. I had my friends new baby and 3 year old for 2 hours last week and it nearly killed me!
Only one feed and nappy changed in that time thank goodness.
X
Anne B

Cook

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »

We do enjoy our free time together so retirement as such doesn't worry me. The difficult time is when he's busy working and I'm not.
Are you freelance? Have you thought of signing up to a agency? That might bring more work. Mind you I don't know what you both do  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]