Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Language skills  (Read 1878 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Language skills
« on: August 12, 2022, 05:21:04 PM »

Any1 on here who speaks more than 1 language?

In the last 4-5 years I've been reading about survivors from Prison Camps across the World.  Particularly those in Europe during WWII, seem to have a skill base which enables them to pick up languages whilst in captivity.  Most had at least 2 European languages, with some having a basic knowledge of English as well. 

It would appear that the Baltic States have similar languages to Russian.  So those raised in Germany next to the Polish border would have Polish too.  Ukraine, Poles, Russains - languages seem to be 'common' probably due to historic border challenges?

10 years ago I tried to learn French  :-\. MayB because I live on an Island which has been conquered centuries ago, English has been passed down without the necessity for others unless 1 wants to be an Air Hostess etc..

Many years ago a lad from Brittany sustained serious injuries - he was admitted to a Welsh Hospital where he could initially understand what was being said.  Celtic.

C.C.

Re: Language skills
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 05:27:48 PM »

I can sort of speak French, I had to take it all through elementary and high school. I work in a French Immersion school so the kids love to correct me when it goes terribly wrong. ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 05:30:26 PM »

;D.  don't kids love that!

Apparently French French is different to Canadian French - our tutor 10 years ago spent 3 months somewhere and found the first couple of weeks difficult!  So she knew what we were kind of up against.

My Dad learned French and Mum German but it wasn't spoken by them to us.   >:(  >:( They had to do a language for Matriculation, I've all their paper work somewhere.

C.C.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 05:41:57 PM »

That's what I have heard, Quebec French is more anglicized than French French.
I took a semester of Spanish in university as an elective, and for whatever reason, I defaulted to French when I had to answer the professor.  She kept saying "en Espanol por favor!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 05:43:56 PM by C.C. »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 05:43:14 PM »

;D

Most of the Pro motoring/cycling paddocks are mainly English speaking.  The younger MotoGP riders are learning English much quicker than their elders, even as early as 5 years ago. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »

I can’t speak English, never mind another one!  ;D

Did German at school, I can count up to 10, and say a few words, that’s about it.  ;D  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 06:40:05 PM »

FinL learned Japanese - essential to count 1-10 in order to stay alive  :-\

I learnt French during ballet lessons, does that count? 

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »

Did 5 years of French at school but the teacher had his favourites (the 3 prettiest girls!!) so only allowed them to practice. In the oral I was asked by the external examier if I liked French, so I explained in word perfect French how the teacher was totally biased in front of him, and the examiner raised her eyebrows, and gave me an A  ;D Never used it since but can get by in German if I need to .

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »

I wonder why these skills aren't passed down  :-\

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 06:48:01 PM »

I did a bit of French and hated it. My daughter sat GCSES in Spanish and Latin this summer and wants to pick up another language. Obviously didn't get her passion from me!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 06:49:34 PM »

In the 1960s my ballet teacher told me that B4 all else, she would teach Latin.  The basis of everything we say and do. 

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 05:26:02 AM »

Any1 on here who speaks more than 1 language?

In the last 4-5 years I've been reading about survivors from Prison Camps across the World.  Particularly those in Europe during WWII, seem to have a skill base which enables them to pick up languages whilst in captivity.  Most had at least 2 European languages, with some having a basic knowledge of English as well. 

It would appear that the Baltic States have similar languages to Russian.  So those raised in Germany next to the Polish border would have Polish too.  Ukraine, Poles, Russains - languages seem to be 'common' probably due to historic border challenges?

10 years ago I tried to learn French  :-\. MayB because I live on an Island which has been conquered centuries ago, English has been passed down without the necessity for others unless 1 wants to be an Air Hostess etc..

Many years ago a lad from Brittany sustained serious injuries - he was admitted to a Welsh Hospital where he could initially understand what was being said.  Celtic.
  I have good German and Italian. Also French but my spoken French is very out of practice. Plus rusty Spanish.