Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Alternate Day Fasting  (Read 75696 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alternate Day Fasting
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »

What does?  Can you point me to any Peer reviewed research regarding this - thanks.

We fast over-night  ;) ..............

Chillout

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

I did my first day yesterday, I chose to eat my one meal at lunchtime. Plus lots of herbal tea. I didn't really miss the food but no wine in the evening was much harder.....

Strangely I didn't wake up feeling hungry this morning. How are other fasters getting on?
 :cancan:

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »

I wouldn't even think to open a bottle of wine particularly if living alone  ::) - it's the aisle that would never be visited by me if I shopped for one!

Do you intend to eat less tomorrow?

Chillout

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »

No, I'm only going to do two days a week, so I have chosen Monday's and thursdays.  :)

Firewalker50

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »

Hi Pixieboots.

Have just seen your post.  I thought about posting about the same thing.

I saw most of the programme too - I joined it as he came to the end of the 3.5 day fast.

I like that he tries it himself and brings in the research that is being done.

I had a fasting day - not used to counting calories so think I had 550 which I know is too much on it.
I did not hear the part about protein - that's interesting.

I was very interested in reading about the potential health benefits - and someone has already mentioned the Hunter-gatherer style which was referred to.

I enjoyed that programme, since it gave an overview of the 3.5 day fasting, the ADF and the 5:2 fasting.
Plus explored briefly the compressed hours eating.

CLKD.  I did not see the whole programme, however, he was in America.  The research for halting Alzheimer's was done on mice and the results were remarkable if they can be replicated in humans.   Interestingly, by adding in sugar or glucose to their water, Alzheimer's would occur sooner.

The ADF was done in Chicago on humans.  I forget the Institute -

And I cannot recall how he got to the 5:2 day ratio fasting.

The Institute of genomics was on it at one stage.

The principle is that on the fasting days, the body uses its resources to survive and then it returns to using food consumed on the eating days.   They did talk about constant low calorie diets slowing down the system to a point that it did not use its resources, it simply slowed everything down.

There are quite a few books about ADF (check out Amazon), and one of them I believe gives all the scientific evidence or information (I have not read it - but people referred to it as heavy going with detail before getting to the diet part).

I bought MISO soup the next day and have the mindset.  I did try one day, with success then have been side-lined by dental op and heavy cold so eating what is in the cupboards lol.

So pleased you posted about this.   Good luck.  I am back at work tomorrow so will post when I get back in the zone.

Fx

Suzi Q

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »

I didnt see it but to me it sounds like BINGE
You eat one day startve the next doesnt sound right medicaly to me
Even with people with no medical problems
Its almost an asault on your body ying and yang cant be good surley?
Why not just cut down we have a thing on TV here run by the GOV called SWAP
It simply means swap your size meal change your plate from a dinner to a sideplate
You still get all the food you need with out overfilling yourself and its working
I eat light meals plenty enough for me  Sun to Thur then Fri and Sat I eat nice different meals like Currys Chinnese
I cut out most cakes and biccies do Zumba walk everywhere cos I cant drive and no proper bus service so I walk
Im not size 10 like I was in 2004 IM 14 some is Im not working outside the home so not doing so much and 2 Vagifem
I honestly think Vagifem has altered at least my tummy I always had a flat tum now its wobbly but IM 58 and a sixe 14
My neice is size 18 and more shes 23 its all the booze and takeaways and shes a daycare worker as well
But if you want to give it ago let us know how you go on with it?

pixie

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »

I agree, I don't think we should be messing about with our bodies, like this, maybe an occasional fast is ok, but i think generally people should eat more healthily and just cut out the amount of calories, to fit in with their lifestyle and activity levels.  There are many obese young and middle aged people in this area, where I live.  They stuff themselves full of fast food and can not get off the sofa as a result.  We should be thinking of food for fuel rather than as a way of solving emotional problems. Its another obsessive fad about food, even if research does say otherwise!  Everything in moderation?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:37:19 AM by pixie »

Firewalker50

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »

Still available on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

Taz x

Thanks for that link Taz.  I hope to see the whole programme before it disappears.

Fx

Suzi Q

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »

I agree Pixie
Ive never been a comfort eater I vommit when I get stressed or upset but I can understand why some peolple do
When i fly etc or go anywhere where I cant smoke I still dont eat in its place
Im not that fond of food so to me its easy to cut back cut down
Dont like dairy so no Yogs Ice cream Milkshakes cheeses dips even butter YUKO as for milk rather chew my own arm off
With working women with children full time its hard to cook fresh and do all that has to be done
But we are now seeing the results they say this generation now 20 and under will have a shorter life expectancy than us
We cant win can we we are damed if we do and damed if we dont
All we can do is try to eat at least 3 times a week cooked foods healthy stuff even if its just FRI SAT AND SUN
Better than a smack in the chops as my MUM used to say xxxxxxxxxx

Eddie

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »

That looks interesting, i would like to try it too. It makes sense too, so who all is trying it?
Eddie. x

Firewalker50

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »

I was, and about to go again (held up due to op and cold).

I am likely to do Mon and Thurs as fasting days, so would start tomorrow again. 
I may go to ADF or just stick with 5 and 2 depending on what is happening.

That should still make 2 fasting days in the last week but system has been all over
the place, so tomorrow is the new week for me.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »

I've had no ill effects as far as I know from being 'starved' prior to various surgeries over the years.  But I have been anorexic-type since age 3  :-\ until recent years ............ it would be interesting to see the take on our recently successful athletes on fasting as well as nomadic tribes who are true hunter gatherers.  Also some kids seem to survive on the same foodstuffs for years  ::) ...... the healthiest the British people have ever been was during the Second World War when there was little sugar!

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »

As in ? chocolate eclairs springs to mind  :-* -  I know I have said that when I eat too much chocolate my body feels sluggish ....... I HAVE to put 2 sugars in black T though  ;)

Firewalker50

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »

Sugar is toxic to me ...............
But sugar makes things so nice to eat, really nice........ ::)

Sugar triggers my fibromyalgia symptoms  :(

Fx

Oldteen

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »

I couldn't do it. The last time I fasted ( for a blood test) I nearly passed out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17