Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Frequent urine infection at 16  (Read 29122 times)

Jillymoo

Re: Frequent urine infection at 16
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »

Also what I tend to do is rather than wait for an NHS appt which as we all know can take forever, I see a consultant privately for an initial appt then get transferred on to the NHS for treatment
Playing the system yes but worth it if you dont want to wait

Yes,we did this a couple of weeks ago with my husband's Rheumatology appt.He was in agony and we were worried,but his NHS appt.wasn't until mid September.I phoned his GP and said we wanted to go private and picked up a referral letter later that day and saw the Consultant 24 hours later at the Nuffield.

After his initial examination and some discussion,he said that he wanted to order lots of blood tests and xrays which would cost quite a bit paying privately (we don't have mediacl insurance so were 'paying as you go' so to speak),and so he said that we could continue seeing him on the NHS. . . .'In fact,you can come to my clinic at the city hospital in the morning,I'll see you at 8.30am,before I start my clinic' This we did and we had another 8.30am appt. a week later,at his NHS clinic,and we've got a 9am one next week too.All for a very modest initial financial outlay.

I'm so glad we went down that route and I hope your daughter gets seen very soon and that you get a diagnosis and treatment rapidly.You must be very worried,but I'm sure she'll be fine soon,once they find out what's causing it.

Take care,love Jilly xx

Eddie

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »

Got results today. No infection, but blood present, hand in another sample. Make appt for G.P. If still in pain go to A&E. So i am impressed by the private fastlane. Even now she has been referred i can get private appt with ?? Bupa? Don't know who else?
Eddie. X

gilaray

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »

Yes you can still get a private appt. Ask your GP if there is a uroligist that they can recommend or ring your local private hospitals and get a list of their urologists, pick one make an appt and your GP will give you a referral letter to take with you. Once this is done you simply cancel your NHS appt.

leony

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »

I am with Westfield Health if thats any use Eddie its cheaper than BUPA and very good look it up on line thats how i got my Gastro appointment so quick paying privately for initial consultation jumping the queue i know but got fed up waiting.

Firewalker50

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »

Hi Leony

I am also with Westfield Health.  We provide this for all employees.  It is a great Hybrid plan and less expensive than paying for full private.  We added Surgery Choices in recent years and our staff have used it on 3 occasions that I am aware of.

Not the same as private with BUPA, Prudential, Norwich Union etc. but has different benefits.

Someone currently using it to see a specific consultant who has retired from NHS (treated her before).  Consultation cost refunded, scans sorted if required and surgery paid for.

I had not thought of that when discussing on this subject. 

Fx

Eddie

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

I am looking at this just now, i wonder if the company i work for gives a discount on healthcare? I've never thought of that, must check if there is a qualifying period? Thanks ladies. Eddie. x

Firewalker50

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »

Hi Eddie

Because all our employees are automatically enrolled, there is no waiting list.   New people have to wait 3 months I think with Westfield.  The cashback side has no qualifying conditions.  The Surgery Choices option (if you can get that) I think may have some qualifying conditions as most medical companies have.

I hope you can get something Eddie.

Fx

Eddie

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »

Typical, Apparently our company doesn't offer it anymore, the least expensive one i can find is £40 per month. :(
Eddie. x

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »

Would it cost too much to get the initial appointment privately?  My neighbour did this and then got up the waiting list much quicker.

Firewalker50

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »

HI Eddie

I am not advocating Westfield Health specifically, however, it may be worth looking at the benefits on that.  Not sure I am allowed to post a link here, so Go to Westfield Health.  Check ot Good4You Health Cash Plan.  Open the Benefits Table PDF on the right and check out what you would need for the monthly payment.

These types of plans allow you to have complementary therapies too, so it is a pro-active way of keeping on top of your health.

There are five levels of payment and benefits.  It may not suit you, but could be worth checking that out.  Or google Health Cash Plans.  Another one that gets a good name is Healthshield.

Fx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »

Paying for a private consultation won't always lead you back into the NHS but is worth while paying to get peace of mind.  Ring round the private hospitals for a pay scale then you can make the decision.

Firewalker50

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »

Forgot to mention Eddie.  Please make it clear you are paying this yourself and not via a Health Insurance Company.  That can often make a difference to the charge.  I know it has in the past for some people.

Fx

leony

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

I must say i stayed with Westfield when i retired kept it up on a personal basis and they have been brilliant prmpt payment never quibble and helpline really good at answering any queries i pay 16.60 per month on level 3 very satisfied.

Eddie

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »

I found that website £16.60 per month looks good, and no waiting time. So do i still get a referral from g.p.?
Eddie. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »

No Consultant should see a new patient without a GP referral.  Ethics and safety  ;) - I would steer clear of any Doctor who took me on board without a letter from the GP. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8