Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Frequent urine infection at 16  (Read 29128 times)

Eddie

Frequent urine infection at 16
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »

Just though i would ask if anyone has info advice on this.
My youngest daughter has frequent urine infections, at least we think so, she was tested a few times within the last year and it was positive but not tested every time, we just got her cranberry and barley juice.

Six months ago she ended up in hospital with suspected appendicitis and when they opened they found blood has escaped into the abdomen from the Fallopian tubes, and a few small cysts which they removed and washed away the blood.
For the last fortnight she has been really poorly again, and again it started when she was on a period. She was given antibiotics last Tuesday which have done nothing for her pain, we spent Friday night in A&E with her, and they checked the urine and said no infection but changed the antibiotics.
The first sample was sent off on Wednesday and hopefully will be back tomorrow, if no infection shows on that what else could it be?
I have never heard of blood being in the wrong place, so how common is it?
Eddie. x

Trey

Re: Frequent urine infection at 16
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »

She needs a CT scan of the abdomen including pelvis.  There are reasons and she needs to be checked thoroughly.  Hope you can get a good doctor to guide this.  A urogynocologist would be first choice, but don't know UK equivalent.

Suzi Q

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »

Its Urologist  Trey  UK and Ozz xxxx
Id be doing exactly the same CT scan see whats up
Love Suzi Q xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gilaray

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:01:27 AM »

Absolutely and most definitely she must be referred to a uroligist. They will scan the kidneys, look at the bladder and probably carry out an xray where they track the progress of urine.
Any constant recurrence of UTI's needs investigation
I also had this as a child but as a young child. It was a reflux where the tubes that take the urine from the kidney to the bladder were faulty
I had an op to fix it and have been fine ever since save for the odd episode
I am unsure as to why your GP has not referred her already but if I were you I would insist on it

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »

Could it be endometriosis? This can cause bleeding in unexpected places during a period.

Taz x

gilaray

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »

Also what I tend to do is rather than wait for an NHS appt which as we all know can take forever, I see a consultant privately for an initial appt then get transferred on to the NHS for treatment
Playing the system yes but worth it if you dont want to wait

Eddie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »

She has been referred last week, and Taz the GP did mention endometriosis in passing, i had it in my 20's but her symptoms seem very different. Also i was a bit dissapointed i thought it would be gynacology if it was being taken seriously. Numpty. Hopefully we will get some answers today. Will think on the private route too.
Eddie.x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:20:27 AM »

Son's girlfriend has had similar problems since her teens.  She often ends up visiting local NHS24 in the wee small hours in agony.  Turns out her problem is a very narrow urethra.  They do not want to operate yet as they reckon it will improve by itself, but try telling her that at 2 in the morning.  So every 2/3 months she gets antibiotics to clear up infection.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »

This is from a private clinics webpage and mentions bleeding into the abdomen

Endometriosis is not a disease as such and nobody knows exactly how it starts. Some doctors believe the tissue that is shed from the lining of the womb during a period somehow finds its way through the fallopian tubes to the outside of the womb, from where it spreads to the tissues that are affected. The hormones that are produced by the ovaries during the menstrual cycle stimulate these tissues just as they do the lining of the womb, making them bleed. This bleeding into the inside of the abdomen and pelvis is responsible for the pain of the condition as well as formation of adhesions that can lead to infertility (difficulty with conceiving).

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »

Thanks Taz. Things were never explained well 25+ years back i suppose. Eddie. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »

Endometriosis sprang to mind.  Do let us know, 16 is too early to begin with 'womens problems'  >:(

Scampi

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

For the recurring bladder infections, Google 'Waterfall d-mannose' - expensive, but really, genuinely DOES work (I had got the the stage with infections that my GP let me keep 3 days' of anti-bs 'in stock' so I could start them at the first twinge, even if it was the weekend - got this fab stuff about 8 years ago and haven't touched anti-bs since, and no - I'm not on commission).

I hope your daughter gets sorted Eddie - poor kid must be so fed up ans scared  :(

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

Scary for her and you Eddie.

Its no fun having pain at any age but at 16 she should not have to be worrying about this kind of thing. I hope you get it sorted out for her very quickly.

:hug:

Honeyb
x

Trey

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »

D mannose is a large sugar molecule that attracts e coli, but my understanding is that the molecule goes into the bladder, rather than the bloodstream and does its work by attracting the e coli off the bladder wall.  Cranberry is thought to slicken the bladder wall to make it more difficult for the e coli to adhere to the wall, thus I use cranactin with d mannose by Soleray.  I also buy AZO test strips for urine infection from Amazon.  With these strips I know when to call my doctor.  So often VA masks as a UTI and I'd hate to take unnecessary ABs. This comment not for your daughter, but for us older ladies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:49:54 PM by Trey »

Firewalker50

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »

Hi Eddie

My daughter suffered recurrent infections with occasional blood. She was given regular ABs against my preference. She drank cranberry juice also.

However, eventually she had her urethra stretched a bit. We also visited a vibrational healer (ex rheumatology consultant) who said she had ecoli in her bowel which is extremely difficult for ABs to treat. an She treated her with flower remedies. My daughter has not had an infection since (4 years).

I read in recent years that UTIs have becomes resistent to most ABs - although there are 2 main ABs that do seem to get rid of it. 

I do hope your daughter gets things clarified soon eddie and I do agree that if you can afford it, initial private treatment can be a faster, more direct option with more focussed treatment (sad to say).  Some consultants will continue with the treatment within NHS so it is a good idea to check they do both.

Hope it is resolved soon.

Rx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8