Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lacking sleep  (Read 14591 times)

Dana

Re: Lacking sleep
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »

I went on to HRT because of the sleep issue, as in none, even with pills. HRT helped, especially oral progesterone.

I'm a chronic, very severe insomniac. IMHO the worst thing ever, apart from the common sense ideas like no caffeine/ephedrine, is a fixation on "good sleep hygiene". The reverse is more true in that the more you de-emphasize sleep, the more likely you are to get some. Good sleepers don't "try" to sleep, take hot baths, drink milk, listen to whales farting etc. (excuse me, but am fed up with medical advice emphasising "sleep hygiene" for insomnia).

Someone else passed on some helpful advice about leaving an unengaging talk radio or tv on softly in the background, which distracts the mind from being too active.
If you can't sleep because of hormones, none of that will work.
Personally I think not sleeping is the worst thing in the world.
Send my sympathy x

Let me just say YAY FOR YOU oldsheep. I totally agree about the "sleep hygiene" brigade. Anytime anyone mentions that phrase to me I feel like I want to take a lunge and strangle them.

It's such an arty farty nouveau phrase that people throw around when they have no idea what they're talking about.  If sleeping well only meant having a bath and turning off the TV etc, no one would have sleep problems.

oldsheep

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »

Yes Dana. Alternative to strangling said 'expert':
1. get a large, heavy tome on 'sleep hygiene for insomniacs'
2. go and see said "sleep expert" who wrote or quotes tome endlessly, especially on TV or in the media
3. hit expert on head with large tome
4. if you hit hard enough, expert might go to sleep for a bit and leave you in peace
 ;D

Rowan

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »

I can remember when a hot bath and a chicken sandwich in the evening before bed did make me so sleepy and I slept all night.

Dana

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

Yes Dana. Alternative to strangling said 'expert':
1. get a large, heavy tome on 'sleep hygiene for insomniacs'
2. go and see said "sleep expert" who wrote or quotes tome endlessly, especially on TV or in the media
3. hit expert on head with large tome
4. if you hit hard enough, expert might go to sleep for a bit and leave you in peace
 ;D

I like your style....  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]