Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 248315 times)

Bette

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »

We're due to sign all the documents for EPA next Weds. The solicitor advised that we should "activate" it at the same time as "applying" for it (not sure what the correct terms are  ::)) as it always takes more time than they say. We don't actually need it yet - and hopefully won't if Mum is able to stay in her bungalow - but it's best to be prepared even if it does mean that we pay for it un-necessarily.
Sorry to hear that you're struggling a bit, san. I'm sure that you've done the right thing for your aunt but can also understand how difficult it must be.  :hug:
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »

This may be too personal and if it is I will understand a no reply - may I ask how much it cost Bette?

Purplenanny x x

Bette

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »

I'll be happy to tell you when I know, Purplenanny! The solicitor did tell me when I enquired about it a couple of years ago but at that stage we decided not to bother and I can't remember now.  ::) It's obviously cheaper if you DIY and TBH, having seen the form, we probably could have done that but I didn't want the hassle at the moment and we know the solicitor well so preferred to use him.
Bette x

grandy

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »

We have EPA for Mum. I think the cost is around £500 if you go through a solicitor. Obviously will vary.

Bette

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »

Sounds familiar!  ;D
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »

Thanks Bette.

I think you are brilliant the way you are looking after your Mum and I know it is very worrying for you. The caring thought you put into her needs is lovely and she is doing very well with your help.

Gulp! that's a lot Grandy. I wonder how much it is for DIY - I will have a look online

Purplenanny x x

san

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »

I didn't even think of doing it myself. She had left instructions for it with her solicitor. Also I think maybe it's better paying for them to do it as you'd probably need to go to the court to submit the application. Keeps everything above board as well by using them.

Think the cost for us is around £450. Using the same solicitor as she has her Will with.

Bette

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »

I have heard of DIY and I don't think it's too bad but the slightest silly error on the form is enough to render it unvalid. I think that you can download it or just look at it online. It was also very helpful when he actually told us exactly what decisions had to be made and he is acting as witness so we don't need to ask/involve anyone else.
Bette x

san

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »

Quite right Bette. A mistake can hold up the whole process. I didn't have a witness as she had already set this up herself with me as named person.
Our one is being granted on the 9th. They said I should have the certificate 3 weeks after that.
At least once it's here we can get on with going to the bank and setting up her fees to be paid at the care home and putting her flat up for sale.

grandy

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

Once you have EPA there is still a bit to do. Notifying banks, insurance companies etc. Some are fussier than others. One insurance company asked to see my passport/ driving licence as well as the original EPA! Others were just happy to go with the document. It's not an easy process! Hope things go well for you San!

Bette

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »

I'm a co-signatory on all Mum's bank accounts; we want the EPA in case we need to sell her bungalow at some stage to fund nursing home care. Hopefully it won't get to that but we'd rather be prepared.
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »

That is we're getting, Fleurie - sorry, used the wrong term!  ::)
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

Thanks Fleurie. So far she's managing things for herself - with me telling her what to do  ::) ;D - but it'll be good to have this as a back-up.
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »

Thanks, I will check it all with the bank once it's through. However, I'm co-signatory on all her accounts and have already signed cheques and moved money between accounts with no problems so might not need to do anything else.
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Could we have a list of agencies to contact before/once required, i.e. GP or Social Services etc..

I wouldn't know where to begin if anything happened to Mum  ::)  ......... her Church probably in the first instance then ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74