Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mobile phone use at Events  (Read 3051 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mobile phone use at Events
« on: April 15, 2024, 06:03:17 PM »

Interesting to see that the Green Jackets who are in charge of Rules at Atlanta, Georgia 'masters'Golf Championship, have banned mobile phones on the whole site.  Either leave at home or hand over in the car park: 1 public box - remember those  ;D - behind Bunker 6 for emergency use.

I believe that mobiles should be banned from all Theatres etc., how awful for performers to be interrupted by continual flashes as well as Copyright issues when people film complete shows!   :-\

We don't take our mobiles or laptops to bed, the former are switched off.  1 very old mobile is used as an alarm when required which isn't fortunately, very often.  I won't answer the land line in the night, when we were On Call it was essential but not now.  Some are cold/rubbish calls anyway!  Bad enough in the day.

So sporting events i.e. snooker, billiards, golf, tennis tournaments ........ no mobiles.  None in theatre situations. 

I would ban constant use on public transport too.  Those that wander around with buds in their ears cannot possibly be spatially aware and so vulnerable to being mugged/worse. 

getting_old

Re: Mobile phone use at Events
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 10:16:40 PM »

I went to a concert where the audience were encouraged to turn their phone lights on during one song, so some performers have decided to work with them. I think at live music concerts they aren't really causing a problem, as the music is usually louder, and the performers probably view distribution of recordings as promotional. Plus can you imagine the chaos of everyone trying to get their phone back at the end of the event.
I do think that theatres, cinemas, etc should enforce mobiles on silent / vibrate, but the problem comes when they try to evict culprits as that would be even more disruptive.
As far as golf is concerned I suppose they're worried ringing phones will be a distraction but personally I'd prefer to listen to a ringtome than watch golf  ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 11:51:01 PM »

When I go to music gigs I find my phone invaluable in being able to locate friends in the venue. We WhatsApp.  Also to take photos, not with flash obviously. The other point is that many people use their phones to pay for drinks etc and also have their tickets loaded onto the phone to save printing them. Lots to consider. Responsible use is the key I guess.

getting_old the phone light thing is quite common but I remember when it was cigarette lighters being held aloft. Imagine that nowadays  ;D

Taz x

Autumnwalks

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 09:04:02 AM »

Theatre goers are always asked to switch off phones before a performance. As Taz says, tickets are loaded onto phones so you need them up till you go in. I book everything online and screenshot the tickets to show on entrance. The only one that annoys me is people looking at their phones in the cinema as the bright light is distracting  >:(  So much is done on apps now, ordering food etc. I've never done the ear buds thing but can understand it for jobs where you're on your own for hours such as posties. I wouldn't be listening to music though, probably a book or podcast and then you need to concentrate. ;D I wouldn't be handing my phone over to anyone in case it got lost. All my contacts are on there plus my app with all my medical info, appointments, scan results etc. We carry out lives on our phones now. ;) I don't have any computers, landline etc so it's all on my phone. Everything's paperless now too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 10:31:33 AM by Autumnwalks »

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 01:47:20 PM »

Hello ladies

My SIL likes to listen to music when she runs  but she also needs to listen for traffic etc. She bought earphones that are especially designed for this purpose as they sit behind the ear.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 01:54:29 PM »

I think that more sports venues will remove the mobile phones from events.  It's working for the Masters in Atlanta, it takes organisation - also people live in the moment rather than telling others that 'we are here'  ::)