Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Charity Projects  (Read 22142 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Charity Projects
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »

Could you 'run' a raffle twice a year to raise funds? 

Feet up I hope Ju Ju  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »

A drop in the ocean. Quality training costs as does many other things.

Yes, feet up. No choice! And DH is being wonderful, even talking to and reassuring my parents every day. Haven't felt up to talking to them. But I'm doing well.

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »

That's good news!  I found talking to people on the 'phone following surgery really tiring  ::).

I can't understand how Charities like Kids Scape (?) get Government 'help' whereas  >:( ……. could you get a 12-months sponsorship from a Drugs' Company or local industry?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:04:03 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »

The suggestion that has been successfully trialled, is to give a welcome letter at the beginning, including a suggested donation, approximately what it costs to see a client. It takes the awkwardness and maybe inappropriateness of mentioning the need for donations. I'll see what is decided, but having a positive example helps. We do get the odd grant, but they are getting harder to get these days.

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

Dan Hodges, Daily Telegraph yesterday, makes good points about how UK Taxpayers are often topping up the various charities.  Is this what we really want to do?  The National Audit Officce, (NAO) has a report: "Public Funding Of Large Charities - 2007" which is an interesting read. 

Of the £219M income for NCH Action for Children, £196.7M came from public money.  Of the £164M income for MENCAP, £155M came from public funding.  So who is making up the difference? 

Leonard Cheshire income for 2013/14 was £162.2M - voluntary donations were £17.8M.  MENCAPs' 2014 AR had an income of £201.2M, £13.2 raised through fundraising. 

I wonder how many Charities ask the Government for hand-outs? where many have monies invested in Property etc.  :-\.  Many UK Charities list their Annual Accounts on line these days.  The above doesn't take into account the several 1,000s of volunteers in the Charity sector which saves Companies money each year.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 08:31:59 PM »

Have 2-day bought underwear and sanitary protection to send to our local shelter, along with thick socks and a jumper that is too tight for me.  The Church has a box which is taken over to the shelter twice a week.

Going through the store it was obvious that packets with 6 pairs of knickers had been opened and 1/2 removed  >:(.  I suggested to the store that those packets with less than stated could be donated to shelters as part of their community commitments (sp). 

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »

After yet another 'bag' purporting to collect clothing to sell for weight and donation given to charity: Himself waded through the link below:

http://www.charitybags.org.uk/index.htm

He found it an eye opener !

Dyan

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »

:thankyou: so did I.

Mind you if I think it looks suspicious I will use it only to line my bin.
I have my favourite charities I like to donate to via genuine bags.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

Apparently house-2-house collection brings in less than the Charity shops do, no surprises there then  ::)

The bag that arrived 2-day was started by a man who sold it for £1 to a woman - he is now the 'secretary'.  However the Office has moved 3 times in 14 months  :o from Liverpool via Bristol to Somerset.  No accounts offered yet.  Himself wonders if people start these schemes then pocket the monies after selling the 'rags' ………… I tend to cart stuff directly to the shops but am concerned when I see black bags++ of 'unusable' clothing waiting for collection  :-\

kpatton56

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I think there are a lot of donations from families after a bereavement where they just clear everything into bags and give it in. There is a lot of stuff that is simply too worn to sell on.
I take anything that I think would sell to our local Barnardos. The reason they get it all is mainly because of the parking and ease of access!!

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »

That does make a difference.  Fortunately most of the Charity shops have reasonable access to car parking.   But I haven't yet got the pants etc. collected in March due to lack of time  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »

After yet another 'bag' purporting to collect clothing to sell for weight and donation given to charity: Himself waded through the link below:

http://www.charitybags.org.uk/index.htm

He found it an eye opener !

If I'm going to use one of the door step bags I always check online that the collection if valid. The annoying thing is that we had a bogus company going round - I checked with the charity involved and it was not one of their vans - but when the charity contacted the police with the date that the bags were going to be picked up they didn't want to know.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »

Yes I've been aware that there are bogus companies. There is money in second hand clothes etc. I reuse the bags to take any stuff to charity shops or charity bins. I'm afraid I bin unsolicited charity mail into the recycling bin unread, including those which I subscribe to regularly asking me to up my monthly contribution.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »

The collection is often valid but the Charity doesn't get much income from them by the time the collectors have taken the 'cut'. 

Taz2

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »

This is an interesting link explaining what to look out for http://www.frsb.org.uk/donors/advice/clothing-collections/

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6