Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Restless Leg Syndrome  (Read 32395 times)

CLKD

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »

Elevating the legs can help too.  But plenty of bananas  :whist:
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Firewalker50

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »

Hi Cubagirl - it may sting or itch initially.  Don't  be concerned.  If it is really bad (I mean really bad), you can splash a little cold water onto the legs to help.  Apparently, the itch/discomfort goes as your magnesium levels rise.  The sensation goes after a few minutes anyway.

I hope it helps.  The night version advises using abdomen, tops of legs and across the shoulders, so you can experiment to get the best results for you.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

How does it work then, as the body is designed to keep liquids out !  I read recently that 'they' have found out how the layer below the skin keeps us dry  ;) I think it was in New Scientist ...........

Firewalker50

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »

From what I understand CLKD, using it transdermally results in the solution being directly absorbed into your cells without having to go through your digestive system.  I am not a scientist so unfortunately I cannot explain what may be absorbed and what may not and how the discovery you mention would affect applying anything topically.

All I know is that I read about the magnesium for fibromyalgia, read further about the health benefits of having enough, or problems if we do not have enough, then read about various ways of supplementing it (diet, supplements and transdermally) and chose to try this version which is middle of the road on price and is used by athletes for muscle recovery.   I am not in a position to waste money, so it needs to work.  Both my partner and I found that using it regularly resulted in less pain and quicker muscular recovery.   It did make my skin dry after a while so I cut back on it quite drastically and after a couple of weeks I realised the muscular pains and restless legs were returning.

Not sure why or how it works CLKD.  It does for me - and more importantly it does for my partner who is one of the biggest sceptics you could meet.  Interestingly, he made his own version using epsom salts (different magnesium form) and also another version using the magnesium bath flakes and mineral water.  He sometimes finds the supply I bought to be too itchy for him.

Apparently it can take 3-6 months to get magnesium levels up to required levels, although at this point I am not sure how I would know without getting tests done.  I am not worrying about that at the moment though  ;)

Fx

Joyce

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »

Boy it stings, but will stick with it.  I tried putting on my lower legs as that is my worst area, but will try thighs tonight.
I imagine it's absorbed through the skin in much the same way at HRT patches, ibuprofen gel etc.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

You know my paternal Grandma swore by Epsom salts  ::) and Enos ........... also zinc and caster oil in a tin ........... the other thing I had to do often was try to sleep with legs elevated to ease the symptoms.

Winterose

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »

You could try magnesium oil - which is not an oil but a salt mixture - same family as Epsom salts  . I use to get this a lot and it was only on the sofa - not in bed, really odd.

Firewalker50

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »

Interesting, easily read article on recent studies into the potential cause of restless legs.  It wont help us today, but they may find a way in the future.

http://arthritis.about.com/cs/rls/a/restlessleg.htm

In the meantime, Cubagirl,  yep! It seems to sting in the early days of taking it.  My partner prefers his own concoction of epsom salts and mineral water for that reason.  I like the Better You product, especially the night one.  Cubagirl, you may like to try a foot soak (I like bath soak) of magnesium flakes or Epsom Salts - for 20 minutes.  That apparently helps to boost your levels without the stinging of the oil (which as Winterose says is actually a magnesium / water mixture).

Epson Salts are magnesium sulfate, while magnesium flakes are magnesium chloride.  There seems to be more benefit in using the chloride version although Epsom Salts are cheaper.

I read the book by Dr. Mark Sircus about Magnesium transdermal healing - very interesting (Amazon).

Fx

Joyce

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

Epson salts, that brings back some memories.  Will get some and try using that in a nice relaxing bath.  Thanks for the tips!

Ziggy

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »

I think I may have to try the magnesium oil or some Epsom salts. I had the worst night last night due to creeping, restless legs. I suspect it was due to tired muscles as I skated for 3 hours yesterday morning then walked the dog then went round the shops for 2 hours so didn't sit down all day. I think my muscles just got over worked  but did I pay for it last night. Even my usual cure of a little walk round didn't help. It really is a very horrible sensation.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »

I've found the pile of New Scientist magazines, now I need to remember to look for the article  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »

>:(  I had to get out of bed at 12.30 a.m. and take Nurofen and another capsule at 9.30 a.m. because the problem is returning.  Must Take Own Advice - eat more bananas  ::)

Firewalker50

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »

What do you think is causing it CLKD?  What is different that might be causing it to return?
It is so uncomfortable.

I have to admit to having a bit of cramp in my legs the past few nights.  Having said that, I had stopped spraying the magnesium ages ago and was just doing it after hard work and muscle ache. 
I will get back onto that and see if things improve.

Fx

purplenanny

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

Firewwalker, can you buy the magnesium spray from the chemist? I might give that a try.

Bananas definately help me

PN  x x

Taz2

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »

How are your iron levels CLKD? http://www.rls-uk.org/#/treatment/4567435170

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6