Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Restless Leg Syndrome  (Read 32394 times)

larkrise

Restless Leg Syndrome
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »

Do any ladies suffer with this?  Does anyone know what causes it or what can help it.

For something that does not cause any pain it is one of the most uncomfortable things I know of.

Taz2

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »

I have this Mrs P and it has been made worse by my fibro and I know that it can be part of M.E. My dad also suffered from it. However, I discovered that mine was partly to do with being anaemic and it has been better since I was prescribed iron tablets to raise my levels.

Have you checked out this site http://www.rlsuk-esa.org.uk/

One thing I found which helped was to lay on the floor or on the bed with my legs straight up against the wall - have you tried that?

Taz x  :hug:

jax

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »

Hi Mrs P
   I get this on aa very rare basis, say once every few months and it always hits when I am over tired and could do with a good sleep, not wriggling about trying to make legs settle.
OH gets this when very tired, say watching a late film past his bedtime...so maybe tired is the catalyst??
Have a good day.
Jacky xx
goober gizzard brains

viv

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »

I dont get it in bed, but in the evening. I am up and down. My legs are over the arm of the chair, under me, waving about. I drive myself mad with it. Its always worse if I am tired.

It is said a banana helps but as I dont like bananas I have never found anything that helps at all.

Awful thing  :(

Honeyb
x

viv

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »

Have one for me then because they give me the worse indigestion.  ::)

The funny thing is as soon as I get into bed I am fine. I just seem to relax and my legs seem to settle down.

Weird or what

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

I think that it's the potassium in bananas which is meant to help.  ??? Maybe try to find another food source that you like, HB. Now, hadn't I heard somewhere that chocolate was high in potassium................  :P ;D
Bette x
P.S. Probably not but it's got to be worth a try!  :D
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »

I get restless legs.
Usually this happens when I'm tired or trying to relax of an evening.
I end up jiffling and pacing the floor.
The worst is when I get to bed it seems to affects my arms too and I just can't sleep.
I've heard that there is medication for it but I don't know what it's called.
My Dad also suffered from it.

pj44

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »

I read in a magazine about magnesium oil you can rub on your body . I brought some u can get it in Holland&barrets. It does seem to help. The person in the magazine used it for her mum who could not sleep at night because of restless legs. I brought the one for helping with sleep.

purplenanny

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »

I have heard it could be caused by lack of iron? I am due for a full blood test so hopefully this would show up

Both my sisters and I suffer from it, so I wonder if it is hereditory?

Purplenanny x x

SANDI55

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

I have this too although I have never tried to work out when / why it happens!  I get it both in the evenings when I am trying to relax and when I am in bed, and the urge to fidget is immense! On a couple of occasions I've even ended up going up and down the stairs a few times in order to try and work it through my system but that doesn't always work either.  I'll try a banana next time: I like bananas so that's a win-win in my book  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Lack of POTASSIUM - I eat as many bananas a week as I can stomach and rarely get those feelings now.
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

MINNIE

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

Hi ladies.
 Is "restless leg" a sort of popping, twitching under the skin? Only really get in at night, arrived the same week as all other 33 symptoms!!!

M XX

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »

For me it feels like the legs want to stretch and the only way to get relief is by sleeping with legs in the air  :o as the symptoms are only troublesome as soon as I lay down at night.  Although I can feel it during the day it's only in bed that I get the sensations.  Bananas daily have stopped all symptoms  :P
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

I have this some nights in bed, it's so frustrating!
My mum was talking to her diabetic nurse about her 'hot legs in bed' The nurse told her to try drinking tonic water as it has quinine in it and thats supposed to be good for restless leg syndrome.
Not tried it yet but plan to get some on my next shopping trip.
It just goes to show, It's good to talk  :) I had only mentioned it to my mum and she told me that she has had it for ages. The nurse said that people describe the feelings differently but it's usually the same condition.
Mum hasn't had for two weeks now.

viv

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »

A wee gin in the tonic may make it taste better  ;)

Honeyb
x

Quinine is usually recommended for cramp.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6