Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)  (Read 71950 times)

minuette

Re: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

Celticapril wow that's fantastic you are my inspiration!! :D

Parkrun - yes my plan is to finish the couch to 5K, got another 6 weeks to go, and then to do the park run at my local park, which is also where the RFL will be, so I'll get some good runs in there beforehand.

It's never too late, but I also wish I'd started this years ago. 

Re the programme on exercise, I've not watched it yet but I've downloaded it on iplayer it looks interesting. 

Today is supposed to be my rest day but I'm getting a little bit obsessed with it all and want to go running, but I think I'll swim instead.   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »

Walking kicks in endorphins which can help lift mood.  However, when I was very depressed I could only crawl out of bed as far as the settee, even crawling ot the door to let the cats in and the dog out  :'( ...........

We have been busy gardening this week so haven't needed that treadmill  ;D

changesbabe

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »

Well thats it - no more excuses I have finally started jogging again. I have a colleague who is also a personal trainer - anyway she is quiet just now and has offered to help get me started again.  So yesterday off we went - yes she made me run in torrential rain/sleet! I did better than I thought and was not a complete basket case by the end of it.  My legs felt strong the whole time but my breathing let me down. She was delighted and said it would not be that long before I was running easier.

Today I feel like death!  There is nothing that doesn't hurt - oh god what have I started.  ;D

minuette

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »

Oh I hurt such a lot when I first started but then it got much easier.  Well done hot&spicy!!

Starting it was the hardest part for me but I'm up to running for 30 minutes in one go now, can't believe it! :)

changesbabe

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

wow Minuette thanks for the inspiration!  Had to take painkillers earlier as i am so sore!!  We are back out again on monday so hopefully it will get easier soon.  Running for half an hour is my aim.  xxx

changesbabe

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »

Oh god that bad lady is coming back at 10.30 this morning to take me out running again. This will be my second session with her and I am dreading it more than the first because I know what's coming! Why is it so difficult to get fit - and why does it hurt so much?? Xxx

changesbabe

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »

Well I am back now but if someone could send the paramedics round I'd really appreciate it - they will find me collapsed in a heap on the sofa! Xxx

Bette

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

I would suggest an Easter egg or two but would that be defeating the object?!  :bunis: ;D
Bette x

changesbabe

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

No bette that would be perfect! Not doing this to lose weight but just to get fitter. I have a job where I sit on my butt for hours at a time and I really do not exercise at all.  Hubby and I often go for long walks at the weekend but I never feel it raises my heartbeat very much!  I am also hoping that doing some kind of exercise burns up some of the anxiety symptoms too!  Anyway I have signed up for 8 half hour jogging sessions with my friend to help kickstart me into getting off my butt! Only problem is that both times I have come back I have collapsed in a heap for the rest of the day - kind of defeats the purpose huh! Anyway where the heck is the chocolate. Xxx

minuette

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »

You know what they say - no pain no gain!! ;D

I also started jogging to get fitter and this week I'll finish the Couch to 5 K programme so I'm really pleased with myself, I'm going to carry on with running for 30mins 3 times a week and then will up it to run 5K in one go and then I'll do the Race for Life in July. 

It's so worth it!!!  The other day I went out with my husband to walk one of the outside routes I'm thinking of running, all in all we walked for an hour at quite a fast pace and I wasn't even out of breath.  Also, I didn't count the hour as 'exercise', whereas before I would have thought I'd done really well and proud that I'd done an hours walking.  Nowadays that's nothing.  I can't quite believe I'm at this stage but it just proves that it can be done.  If you want to enough  :)

Good luck with the jogging sessions and enjoy the chocolate!  ;)

changesbabe

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

Thanks for your inspiration minuette. Am pleased to report that only a tiny bit of chocolate passed my lips this afternoon. However my am pleased to report that my recovery time this afternoon was far quicker than I imagined. This has given me a bit of a boost. Hopefully this will continue the fitter I become. This morning i was full of apprehension and anxiety at the thought of going for a run but I am quite determined I want to give it a go and I think it was that determination that got me out the door. Keep up your good work minuette. Xxx

blackwitch

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »

Me too. Thought I would join in with my story. Im 51 now, and have taken up the treadmill thing. I started off by brisk walking, which I do at approx 3.8mph for an hour. I am now starting to introduce jogging or running after 5 mins of walking I run for a minute, my god how long a minute is when your running!! I have also spent all my life avoiding exercise apart from swimming which I love. I cant believe how excited I get about sweating or shoudl I say perspiring, it makes me feel so good, mad as that sounds. I do think it has helped my mood, so am going to continue until I can jog/run for 30 minutes however long that takes me to get to that stage...Good luck to you all! x :D

minuette

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »

That's great blackwitch, I also love swimming and usually swim twice a week - have a look at the NHS Couch to 5K podcasts, they are what got me running for 30 minutes by starting out running for 1 minute and walking for 90 secs and building it up from there, it's a great programme!

In my experience, since I've started jogging, my aches and pains have greatly diminished which is fantastic and I feel so much fitter than ever before in my life, that's saying something!

Ziggy

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

Me and jogging have never really got on as it aggravates a long standing problem I have with my  ileo-tibial band in both legs. However 2 years ago I decided to take ice skating lessons. I started with one group lesson a week working on a 10 stage Learn to Skate programme but got hooked very quickly and now I have officially passed my level 8 in Learn to Skate and can do most of level 9 and 10 but can't pass them as there is one move I simply can't do yet which is a must to pass level 9. I also have a private lesson every week with a figure skating coach and I skate with the new friends I've made every Sunday (these girls are at least 25 -30 yrs younger than me but it doesn't matter at all to them or to me). I skate at every opportunity I get and I'm totally addicted! It's great exercise as it doesn't strain the joints and it is so much fun. On Easter Sunday I was given an impromptu lesson on ice dancing which was such a treat as I'd always wanted to dance on ice with a partner.  I've only fallen about 6 times in 2 years and not at all for the last 6 months but it hurts when you hit the ice so I now wear knee,elbow and hip pads, all very discreet so I don't look like a blimp.
I can highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun form of exercise.  I'll be heading for the rink again later today to start learning a Salchow jump, who'd have thought I'd be doing that at 56!!

minuette

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »

Well I finished the Couch to 5K on Friday, so I can now run for 30 minutes in one go!!! Next goal is to run for 5K in one go, then do a parkrun, then the Race for Life in July.  Then maybe go for the 10K.........? :)

That's great Ziggy, it's good when you do something you really enjoy, like I'm really enjoying the jogging :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8