Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)  (Read 71891 times)

minuette

Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »

Because of recently going on HRT and finally realising that I'm going to be 50 later this year I've decided to take up jogging to get fitter.

I've started slowly, at the moment I'm fast walking more than jogging as I'm building the jogging times up slowly but I'm loving it :)

Don't know why I posted this really, just wanted to share.  Anyone else taken up jogging? 

Bette

Re: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

No but well done you - I'm really impressed!  :congrats:
Bette x

coffee mate

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »

No I haven't, but I'm impressed with your effort and determination. Well done you! :medal:

Wish I had the same determination, but I get out of breathe just running to the corner shop for my ciggies.  Lol

cm xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

Brisk walking is better for joints though! I have a tread-mill - over there in the corner, see it covered in books waiting to be read  ::): which I really must make more effort to use this year  8)

changesbabe

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

Last year I took up jogging. Started off with jogging and walking for 30 second blocks. I built it up and I was able to run 5 mins in one go - then I stopped - think it was a cluster of migraines that did it. Not ran for months. Recently I bought more gear - downloaded a jogging app on my iPhone but still haven't made it out the door yet!  I know I will have to start again at the beginning.

Maybe you could inspire me and we could do it together? Xxx

jax

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »

I cant jog....it makes me get out of breath and my chin hurts from being slapped :boobs:
seriously. I am into cycling and its my goal to double my mileage this year. (last summer did 620 miles) so far this year ive done 88 so on target so far...put a pair of jeans on that were too tight b4 xmas and they are nicely loose today so its really worth the effort of gettin out of your chair :-)

minuette

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

I've started slowly - firstly I did 2 mins walking to warm up, then 6 mins fast walking and 1 minute jogging x 4 = 30 mins

Did that 3 times, next was 2 mins warm up, then 5 mins fast walking 2 mins jogging x 4 = 30 mins.  Have done this twice, so will do this once more then move up to 4 mins walking 3 mins jogging etc etc until I get to 30 mins jogging.

That's the plan anyway and I'm nothing if not determined!  ;D

Donna1

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

I'm 48 and I've just taken it up too! My family are stunned... never done anything like that before. I was so fed up with feeling anxiety and low grade depression seemingly caused more by hormones than anything else that I tried it in desperation. and you know what - it has definitely helped. I don't think I'm ever going to do any long distances but 20 mins before work seems to make a big difference. I really like walking though so I've signed up for the Moon Walk (26 miles through the night, in May) Am determined to go through with it.
Good luck with your jogging, minuette.Let me know how you get on.
Donna

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »

Thanks - we are not runners but hunter gatherers - brisk walk to the next food source and graze ......... still looking for that chocolate tree though  ::)

minuette

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »

Donna yes let's keep each other motivated - well done on signing up for the Moon Walk, I always find it's easier when I've got a goal to work towards.

Re the joints etc I'm already quite fit anyway as I already do fast walking on a treadmill have done for quite a few years and I swim approx 3 times a week also so jogging for me is going to the next level. 

changesbabe

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »

Aw I wanted to be part of the jogging gang (I asked in my post earlier) can I not play too? Mind you I've not really got started again so can't really call myself a jogger. Xxx

minuette

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Yes hot&spicy of course you can be in the jogging gang!  ;D

Can't call myself a jogger either just yet, I've only done 5 walk/jogs, having a rest day today and starting again tomorrow morning. 

My husband went out this morning and ran for an hour, he's been jogging for years, while I lay in bed reading. Exercise for me is purely a Mon-Fri thing!

:) xxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »

;D  ...... I'm out of bed, what more do they want  ???   ;)

Oldteen

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »

Well done you! Jogging wouldn't appeal to me and my boobs are too big, but last year a joined an exercise class for the first time in my life at 55 and I love it!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

I'm looking at the tread-mill as I type ............
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8