Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 787070 times)

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:22:52 AM »

The loss of estrogen often causes changes in the vagina with dry, thin fragile tissues with less resistance to infection. This can lead to dryness, discomfort, irritation, discharge and sometimes slight bleeding. The outer lips can also become thin and cause discomfort even from friction on underwear. Sadly, many women put up with these symptoms in silence, often feeling too embarrassed to seek help or are unaware that treatments are available. If dryness is the main problem, vaginal moisturisers such as Replens, Sylk or Senselle can be used. To restore the tissues back to being supple, moist, sensitive and resistant to infection, then vaginal estrogen is extremely effective. This can be used in the form of vaginal tablets, pessary, cream or a ring. The tablets, pessaries and cream are applied every night for 2 weeks and then continued twice weekly, while the vaginal ring stays in place for 3 months. Because estrogen from these routes is low dose and is not absorbed significantly into the rest of the body, it can be used safely when normal HRT is not appropriate. Also, some women taking HRT find that they still have vaginal problems and it may be necessary to use vaginal estrogen in addition.
Tell us what you have found helpful.

poppyrose

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:13:03 AM »

Oh Dr Currie,

If only I could remember where mine was, it has been so long since I needed it that I have forgotten!  ;D ;D ;D

Lots of Love Pops xxx :peace::peace::peace:

funnybunny

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »

Ditto Pops!!!! :o :o :o :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'(

Hotflush

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:00:41 PM »

Doc, i haven't had that YET.  I think i will cross the bridge when i come to it.

hotflush :D

lucknowmom

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:39:25 PM »

More conversation with husband about taking more time, longer and more tender foreplay, sex in the bathtub, all have helped us.

Claire

AnnieG

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »

I've found the HRT has helped here (I'm taking Hormonin and Utrogestan - which is a natural progesterone) - but before that I used Sylk which really is excellent.

Tanny

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:35 AM »

Tell us what you have found helpful.

Like the aches and pains, this also comes and goes.  The most helpful thing I have found is "Replens".

scriv

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »

I have been using Ovestin cream for 5 months. It was very effective at healing dry, bleeding tissue after a infection, but I am now wondering if the cream itself is irritating the urethra and causing  bladder/urethra sensitivity.

I am leaving it off for a few weeks to see. :-\

Menopausal Minnie

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »

Not suffering from this - thankfully - just yet  ;)

Even though I cant actually remember where mine is :o at the mo...................

Is this one of the definitive signs of the menopause?

Hugs MM (Angie) :hug:

juju

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »

Hrt has done the trick here!Before that KY jelly was useful.I did find it quite bad before the hrt and a couple of times I was a bit stuck to my pants :-\(if you know what I mean)!I did notice the dryness starting a good few years ago and before my periods stopped had to stop using tampons as  it was becoming a bit risky!Certainly amazing improvement with hrt.It was probably the first thing I noticed had changed when I started hrt,closely followed by flushes.

scriv

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »

Progress!!! I have switched to Vagifem and have been using it twice weekly now for almost 4 weeks. It is really making a difference and is so easy to use. I am certainly much more comfortable. :)

suzieQ

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »

Does any-one know if vaginal dryness lead to a slight touch of cystitis? Or could that be enthusiastic sex? I managed to ward off a slight feeling of needing to pee requently yesterday by drinking cranberry juice. Has anyon eelse noticed that?
Sue

Ellen

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »

Dear SuzieQ,

I'm sure that it can make you more prone to infections.  It hasn't happened to me yet but the dryness is bad enough.  Cranberry juice or Lemon Barley are supposed to help this condition. 

scriv

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »

Yes, it definitely does make you more prone to cystitis and infection as the dry skin can become fragile and easily irritated or damaged by sex or acidic urine etc....

Cranberry juice unfortunately upsets my bladder big time, but I drink plenty of water and have dried cranberries instead. A tip - use plenty of lubricant at intimate moments....

Ellen

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »

Dear Scriv,

Thankyou for your advice with this delicate subject. ( Pardon the pun! )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78