Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 861267 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #945 on: March 27, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »

Bluebell - change your GP Pronto!  She/he is out of date completely  :bang: :bang: :bang:.  Shouldn't still be in Practice  >:(

Does your Practice have a Nurse Practitioner or maybe visit a Pharmacy in your town and find out which Surgeries support menopausal women the best.  Explain that your GP is totally out of date and is refusing vaginal atrophy treatment, trying to scare you with scare stories about cancer risks.  Ask for a referral as suggested by DG. 

Applying a lubricant doesn't need to be a passion killer  ::).  If 1 is taking care of 'down there' then using a lubricant or oestrogen replacement will be taken care of anyway ........  :-\ .......

My GP was on the ball and prescribed HRT despite my having had treatment for breast disease.  It wasn't discussed but Quality of Life was! 

linfit

« Reply #946 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »

Thanks for your advice.  I have got an appointment with the nurse on Friday and will discuss with her if she thinks I should up the doseage for a while.  I know that any tests will not show either thrush or a bladder infection so it must be the good old menopause making things uncomfortable.

I have tried Replens in the past, and whilst it did make the internal parts feel better it did not do much for the external discomfort and pain so presume that the oestrogen is needed to work on the skin tissues.  The stupid thing is when all is hunky dory down below it is almost impossible to remember just how horrid it is when it flares up - bit like toothache really.

HI there
I was reading through this ling on vaginal dryness and came across your account of how you were Ok on Vagifem and then it flares up. This is happening to me. Just wondered if you have made further progress and if you have stabilised...and how so that I can try similar. Hope you can offer me some reassurance. I thought I was doing so well and then horrible flare up!!

babyjane

« Reply #947 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

Hi linfit, the post you have quoted is from 2008 and I have not seen slightlybonkers on the forum since I have been here.  Didn't want you to feel disappointed if you didn't get a response.

When I get a flare up on vagifem I do a 14 night reload and I know several of the other ladies do the same.  Hope that helps  :)

linfit

« Reply #948 on: May 15, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »

Hi linfit, the post you have quoted is from 2008 and I have not seen slightlybonkers on the forum since I have been here.  Didn't want you to feel disappointed if you didn't get a response.

When I get a flare up on vagifem I do a 14 night reload and I know several of the other ladies do the same.  Hope that helps  :)

Thanks for that, appreciate it. I am worried that I have been using too much Vagifem...the main problem I have is stinging and burning on the outside. I can't seem to tolerate Ovestin...had this flare up about 2 weeks now, it's driving me nuts.

babyjane

« Reply #949 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »

I can't tolerate Ovestin either, it is too strong and contains some harsh additives.  I use 0.01% estriol cream (the generic form of gynest cream) externally and vagifem internally and this keeps inside and outside comfortable.

Suzi Q

« Reply #950 on: June 08, 2017, 02:07:49 AM »

Thanks for that, appreciate it. I am worried that I have been using too much Vagifem...the main problem I have is stinging and burning on the outside. I can't seem to tolerate Ovestin...had this flare up about 2 weeks now, it's driving me nuts.
I use 1 every night and i too get flare ups i just carry on and drink loads of water
It can last 48hr or 3 weeks but it does go eventually  .
Oh and my privates have shrunk to prepubescent i look like ive had a complete labiaplasty
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:11:07 AM by Suzi Q »

rebecca

« Reply #951 on: August 17, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »

Vagrenew ...  Anyone tried this estrogen cream for vaginal dryness?
I believe it is made in the USA ...

http://gagephytolabs.com/vagrenew/

Thanks
Rebecca

Pinkprincess

« Reply #952 on: August 24, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »

Hi all
Quick resume! I am 59 and have been experiencing vaginal dryness/soreness/itching for about 9 mths. The GP gave me a course of Vagifem that made me feel normal again and not having to think about my nether regions all day, every day. When the course had finished I was OK for about 2 weeks then the symptoms started to return. I had read on here that you can use vagifem long term using once or twice a week. I went back to the GP but it was another dr. She told me she couldn't keep prescribing this long term and wants to refer me to a gynae at the hospital. I have a horror of hospitals and really don't want to go. Do I really need to?  The other question and slightly embarrassing one (thank goodness for this forum !) is my inner lips seem to have shrunk/morphed into my outer ones! Is this part of the atrophy thing?? Sorry if it's too much info lol
Pat
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:20:18 PM by Pinkprincess »

Pinkprincess

« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »

By the way on the original visit my GP did examine me and said everything was ok but I looked dry and a bit red/sore just inside OUCH ...!

CLKD

« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »

Your GP don't know nowt!  Have a read on here about the various vaginal atrophy threads.

Give your surgery a ring and explain that a GP can prescribe long-term Vagifem or Ovestin1mg - both are used every night for 2 weeks followed by 'as necessary', usually every 4th and 7th night is enough.  You do not need to be seen by a Gyane!  If you have a local Pharmacist, have a chat with him/her they usually have private rooms now. 

Nowt is too much info on here, and yep, labia can fuse together or disappear  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #955 on: August 24, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »

Shame on your GP! I agree you absolutely do not need to be referred to a hospital to take the normal dose of local oestrogen. Go back to a different GP in the practice!

Some docs like to refer women if the standard doses do not do the job and keep VA at bay - but many feel able to increase even the standard dose without referral.

I suggest you look up the NICE Guidelines (follow links from website Home Page) and look at recommendations for vaginal atrophy or similar name given to it! Also read this section which tells you it can be used long term. Your doc should know this! https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

Hurdity x

Pinkprincess

« Reply #956 on: September 17, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »

Hi Hurdity
As you see on my other post, the 2nd GP at my practice who I have been seeing for 35 years has also said I have to keep the hospital appt before she will prescribe vagifem. When I questioned it she said better to go there for 1 outpatient appt than end up with uterine cancer. She got a bit shirty when I said I had read (on here) lots of women take it long term and it is prescribed by their GP  :-\

jaycee

« Reply #957 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:15 PM »

Just realised this is an old thread ,sorry

CLKD

« Reply #958 on: September 18, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »

That doesn't matter - it's a sticky from Dr Currie so do join in.

kodell

« Reply #959 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

I am a divorced 61 year old woman.  I had gone two years without having sex when I met a man and we wanted to have a sexual relationship.  My Dr. prescribed Estrace (Estrogen vaginal cream).  It seemed to work fine.  We broke up months later.  Now I am in another relationship.  We waited six months before starting a sexual relationship.  Since we have been having sex (I'm still using Estrace) I'm finding myself a little more dry, but still able to have satisfying intercourse.  He has now complained twice that I am too dry and it is causing a lot of discomfort for him.  I know I should not take this personally, but it is affecting my self-esteem.  I am not sure why the Estrace worked with the other man, but does not seem to be working with this man.  I have always had problems with my self-esteem (my body image has also changed since menopause).  Now I am hesitant to have sex with him again.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 79