Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 787348 times)

sarah bird

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »

Oh Taz2 you poor thing . I've only suffered from "dryness" occasionally and it was VERY uncomfortable. Cystitis is something I'm all too familar with though. Hope the Vagifem stuff works for you.

take care , love Sarah b x

ps , that stuff jennie 464 mentioned sounds interesting :)

SevenOfNine

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »

I just had the WORST smear test of my life.  Given that I had just discussed the menopause and my vaginal dryness with the nurse she's lucky I didn't pull out that speculum thing and beat her about the head with it.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  Good job I don't have to go again for 5 years.

Ellen

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »

Dear Sevenofnine,

I can sympathise with you there.  I had the same experience a few months ago which wasn't very pleasant.

janneal

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »

Hi
Thanks to everybody for their input. I am new to MM and have been using KY for years but I have gotten to the stage that it does not stop me getting sore with some bleeding due to skin thinning I did not even realise that there were other products on the market. I am on HRT so I do not know wether I can use Vagifem however I will certainly look out for the other items mentioned. Thanks again

janneal

boatwoman

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »

I was terribly sore and dry so my GP gave me Vagifem, which I used every day for 15 days then after that twice a week for the remainder of the perscription, I am still on it twice a week for at least another 4 weeks, and it has certainly helped.
Today I purchased some Vielle lubrication as I have been finding Ky no longer works.
Has anyone else used Vielle and did it work for them?

Fluffy

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »

Im 26 and am on a course of Zoladex injections to treat endometriosis, which has put me into a temporary menopause.  The symptoms came on fairly thick and fast, and I think the vaginal dryness was the most distressing - after 4 years of painful sex due to the endo, I was heartbroken when that pain went away but the soreness came  :'(

My nurse prescribed me with Vagifem, but as it's an oestrogen it brought back my endo symptoms after 10 days (oestrogen aggravates endo, which is why they treat it with a "menopause").  Then I tried Replens, which was ok but didn't really do much for the sensitivity and had a lot of discharge with it so gave up on that.  Had already tried KY and the durex lubricants, not had much luck with them.  (It's kind of like pouring oil over tin foil - the foil will become slippery, but when stretched it'll just break). 

Have invested in a set of "love eggs" to stimulate the area and increase blood flow, as this is supposed to help.  I was using them to kind of massage in the Replens gel to see if this made it more effective, didn't seem to make much difference. 

I read about inserting a vitamin E capsule to improve the elasticity, but also read that this might make one prone to infections as it upsets the natural flora of the area. 

For the last 3 or 4 weeks I've been taking Dong Quai which has been fab!  Sensitivity and natural lubrication have increased, and that feeling of being on the verge of cystitis has gone.  I can't recommend it enough!!   :clapping:

Perdita

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »

Hi everyone,
I had dryness problems, plus frequent cystitis for about two years and used Sylk first of all. That was a help, but then I found a range called Bio-Fem, which is available in Boots and some other pharmacies. The range includes a vaginal moisturiser/lubricant, which is very good, but it also has a product called Active Gel and that is a stronger one which aims to combat infections. That is the one that really changed things for me. Both products are based on tea tree and I found that they tingle for a few moments when you put them on, but that passes quickly. Every time I felt that awful, draggy need-to-pee and need to pee now feeling I used the Active Gel and it seemed to stop it.
The good thing is that the dryness is much better than it was and so is the cystitis - I got so fed up with repeated courses of antibiotics. Cranberry juice, if you can take it, does help and if it is too strong or dry-tasting, you can dilute it half and half with water.
Best wishes
Perdita

Taz2

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »

Hi Perdita - welcome to the forum - cranberry juice was recommended to me by my doc and I have found this info today http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/cystitiscranberry.shtml    My own doc said that to be effective you have to take 125ml twice a day. The non-stick effect of the cranberries lasts for approximately 12 hours so by taking it twice a day you are covered 24/7 !!!  :) She uses it herself and dilutes hers in lemonade as she hates the taste

I am currently using Vagifem for repeated urinary tract infections and have found this to be excellent. It has rejuvenated the tissues and also sorts out any dryness problem (though that's one symptom I havent got yet  ::))

Love Taz x  :bounce:

Rosebush

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »

Ladies i have read all your posts re vaginal dryness, i am now suffering this myself, and not sure what to try, is anyone.....58, been period free for 27months, not on HRT using anything they have found effective, if so would you please post, so i can give it a try..

x
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:52:31 PM by Rosebush »

gill

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

Dear Sevenofnine,

I can sympathise with you there.  I had the same experience a few months ago which wasn't very pleasant.
libido been going don fo last 6 months but lt 2 very dry and painful inercourse in pain after and feelin of burning does anyone know if going to see gp worth it and which will be better cram or the dreaed hrt Gill

Taz2

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »

Hi Gill. Welcome to the forum from me.

I have found that Vagifem is working wonders for me. You have to obtain it on prescription and it is a low dose of oestrogen and works by replenishing the tissues and increasing lubrication. Because the dose is so low it does not carry the risk of normal HRT but on the downside will not reduce any other meno symptoms. They are tiny pessaries which come preloaded in daily applicators which you place high in the vagina - one a night for two weeks then one twice a week for as long as the doc considers it necessary. My symptoms improved within a week of starting treatment. The pessaries are not messy at all as they stick to the wall of the vagina. I would say go and have a chat to your GP - you have nothing to lose apart from painful sex :hug:

Hope to hear more from you by the way.

Love Taz x  :bounce:

casper

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »

Hi Taz,
Snap think this vagifem is brill I have had the same results, can put up with the sweats to a degree, moods swings maybe not so much but the dryness and soreness was driving me mad >:( I finished the two weeks once nightly last week and have just to use them twice a week now for 10 weeks and then will see if I need more. Pity more GPs are not prescribing them it was my nurse practitioner who prescribed them for me!

issie

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »

I went out and bought K Y Jelly in desperation! Fed up with this. I used to be the total opposite! It certainly puts me off! Going on holiday soon so this had better work!! >:(

Rosebush

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »

Tried Replens 2 tubes, but still not that much change in dryness :'(

casper

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

Izzie and Rosebush why don't you try and get the GP's to give you some Vagifem.
 I just got some more today to use when I feel I need to ,they seem to have a lasting effect for a few months and as they are only pessaries and not taken by mouth, very little of the hormone gets into the blood stream but is delivered were it is needed.(see Taz's post above)
I have high BP so can not do the full HRT but I found these to be great at stopping the dryness and soreness.
Let us know how you get on
Pat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78