Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 787147 times)

scriv

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 07:45:52 AM »

;) You are very welcome! I have had a rotten time with atrophy this past year and am only now beginning to feel things are getting better after much trial and error, mainly error! I never thought I would be facing these issues at 54..

suzieQ

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:59 AM »

Thanks ladies - that helps a lot. I am OK now having drunk gallons  of water for days and had a few glasses of cranberry juce. Yes we do use lubricant - maybe not enough though. Has anyone tried Replens or similar? Is there anything that can increase sensation too?

Ellen

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

Dear Scriv,

Thanks for giving me hope.  I am 49 and also hadn't seen this coming at all.  I don't seem to be experiencing some of the other symptoms that other ladies have had, for instance my periods are very light if they come at all.   When I read about others having pain and flooding I wonder if I'm normal or do we just all suffer in different ways.  I suppose we'll have to grin and bear it and hope that it all works out in the end - or is that bad phrasology!!

Dear SuziQ,

I have tried Replens but only in the mornings and not before bedtime.  I felt that it was giving me a discharge that I would not have had and also I felt that I had to wear a panty liner every day which I normally wouldn't need.  I'm going to try it again at night and hope that it does the trick.  I'm not sure about increasing sensation though.  Maybe some of the others with more experience in this symptom will be able to advise.  Glad to hear you are feeling better.

suzieQ

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

Has anyone heard of Zestra - an arousal cream/oil to help lubrication in " intimate moments" which also heightens arousal. I read about it in Good Housekeeping ( !) and wondered if it works???Might be helpful to some of us who find that the sensations we once enjoyed have become a bit dulled since the good old meno!

suemumof2teens

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

Hi

Im finding this a little bit of a problem, been off HRT for 5 months.  I'm useing a Lilets Inmate foam wash ( which is PH balanced and easy to us), I use this once or twice a day, then when I'm out or at work I use Femfresh wipes.

Sue

Dotty x

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »

omega 7 oil in a capsule worked immediately, taken orally, you can google for the info

Ellen

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »

Dear Dotty,

I think I should have used your name.  Did you mean that the Omega 7 worked immediately to help the dryness or were you referring to it helping with something else?   :-\ 

sadieblack

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »

I would love an estrogen cream but without insurance what can one do? Someone send me some, I'm not kidding! :D

Replens has made it possible for us to be able to make love. But even with that sometimes I still have problems with a burny feeling, as if I have a yeast infection (but I don't).

I must look into the omega 7 oil. I thought there was only Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils....

toastie

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »

sadieblack,
i asked my doc about vitamin e suppository and he told me that the oestrogen treatment is quicker- if you do not have a doctor perhaps you could ask your pharmacist.
I have also read that if you increase the oil in your diet- a tablespoon a day might help.

toastie

sadieblack

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 06:21:46 PM »

Toastie,

Here in the US there is nothing with estrogen that you can get without a prescription. Even if I got a prescription the cost of the cream would probably be too much.

For instance, the medicine I need for asthma costs $150 a month. Going to the doctor costs a minimum of $100. I can't afford it so have to hope that I'll get a sample from a friend or from someone who has insurance who gets it (Advair) but doesn't want to use it.

SIGH. Breathing is something I really feel is important!  :P

I'm not "poor." I just happen to work for myself and make "too much money" to qualify for any thing at all.

I'm NOT going to stop working! I bought a house last year!

This country is crazy when it comes to health care (or lack of).

I will have to keep using Replens, which did help a lot. And I'll try the fish oil.

Sadie

toastie

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »

Hi Sadie,
I just wanted to mention to you that vitamin E suppositories are available without prescription- Dr Christiane Northrup mentions them in her book- and states that they can be very effective. I have also just  read that studies show that vitamin E suppositories can be an effective substitute for oestrogen in the majority of women - I hope this  is helpful to you - as I really sympathise with you .

toastie

toastie

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »

SusieQ,
You asked about Zestra- which i had not heard of til Craft mentioned it- I have been on a  low doze  oestrogen pessary to help with vaginal dryness- which solved that issue but did nothing for  the low libido- when I saw Zestra here on sale in the shops in Holland- I decided to try it and it definitely helped me- so Thanks Craft!

toastie

boatwoman

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »

I am using Vagifem and so far so good after 11 days of using it every evening. Once I get to 15 days I then start using it just twice a week for the remainder of the 3 month course, so time will tell if it works, although I do already find I am not so dry or sore. I have been using KY but that does not seem to do anything for me these days, so I am looking for something else to use, any ideas ladies??

jennie464

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »

I'm a bit paranoid about the whole chemical body burden thing, so products like replens and ky aren't really an option for me (they contain some pretty nasty chemicals). I read this really interesting article in the Times though, in Jennifer Deacon's column:

Q I suffer from vaginal soreness and wondered if aloe vera might be helpful. Could you suggest a natural vaginal lubricant for day-to-day use?

A I would not recommend using anything that was not specifically designed for this part of the body, as it is extremely sensitive. You could try Yes, a certified-organic intimate lubricant that contains aloe vera, which helps to soothe vaginal dryness. Used regularly, it can help restore moisture to vaginal tissue. It is a pure formula that is free from hormones, glycerine or sugar (which may trigger thrush outbreaks), skin irritants (such as grapefruit-seed extract or menthol) and chemicals (including parabens and glycols).

The water-based formula (£5.50 for 25ml, plus p&p; www.yesyesyes.org) contains organic aloe vera, flax extract (beneficial for the mucous membranes) and three plant-based gums – guar, locust bean and xanthan – all of which contribute to the velvety texture of this lubricant. There is also an oil-based formula (£5.50 for 25ml, as before) that contains cocoa and shea butter, sweet almond and sunflower oils, and vitamin E.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article1824287.ece

Suffice to say I swiftly ordered, and this stuff is actually really pleasant  :)

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »

Hi Ladies - I really do think that the only things that actually work for vaginal dryness and soreness are the Oestrogen based preparations.  I stupidly thought that as my lubrication is still working extremely well  :-[ then I would escape the soreness but I have had one bout after another of bladder irritation and infection.  This is caused by the fact that the vaginal skin has thinned and no amount of lubrication by replens, ky or any of the other products will restore the tissue. I have finally been prescribed Vagifem which will lead to a replenishing of the tissue and intend to start using it as soon as I have finished the antibiotics I am on for this current bout of cystitis.  This has not been caused by  :banana: this time but purely by the fact that the skin is so thin around the urethra that anything can trigger an attack. 

Will report back once I have given vagifem a go  :sunny:

Love Taz x  :bounce:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78