Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Bookworm  (Read 142475 times)

Margarett

Re: Bookworm
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »

I read those Derek Tangye books years ago. "A Donkey in the Meadow" etc. They were lovely, all set in Cornwall.

Dyan

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »

I'm reading the actress,Brenda Blethyns,autobiography called 'Mixed Fancies'
It is very good and I can relate to a lot of the first part of the book about her childhood.

kerrieann

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »

hi ladies thanks for the replies i shall be looking on amazon for some of them later yes silverlady  the author i mentioned is annie murray and as another lady asked her book are very similar to catherine cookson i have read all of her books

Christine662

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

I love reading the Catherine Cookson books.

I ordred 4 books from Amazon last week - historical romance (love a bit of romance)

Very good..and good prices on there too.

I also 'frequent' market stalls & charity shops for books.

Stumpy xx :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »

I have a set of books which I was going to sell but have decided to re-read them ......... blast if I can remember the titles or author though  >:( - oh Lilian Beckwith ............ I think  ???  there are gaps in the series so will try to find them 2nd-hand so that I can read them all!

Margarett

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

I'm reading "Heartstone" by C.J. Sansome on my Kindle at the moment. I've read all his other books, and am really enjoying this one.
Think my next read will be set in the 21st century, for a change!

jgr

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »

Just finished reading War Horse and i was in tears.
Can't watch the film so just had to get the book. A great and easy read.

Oldteen

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

The film's lovely, but definitely a "whole box of Kleenex" job!

I'm between books at present, but am thinking of reading The Lord of the Rings for the 95th time since I was 14.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 07:20:18 PM »

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm has been read and is ready for sale .........

Snowball

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »

My favourite author of the minute is Jo Nesbo - the books are crime/thrillers set in Norway. The books run in sequence though so start with 'The Redbreast'. 

But my absolute favourite book that I read again and again is Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg.   I usually don't enjoy the film if I have read the book (I hate when they mess with the story and leave bits out), but the film is great too!!

Dyan

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »

I'm reading'Birdsong' by Sebastion Faulks.
It is a very good read.
I watched the drama on TV, when it was on recently and enjoyed It, but I'm enjoying the book more.

grumpy2008

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »

I'm reading "Heartstone" by C.J. Sansome on my Kindle at the moment. I've read all his other books, and am really enjoying this one.

I've been considering buying that one :)

I love historical murder mysteries, and just finished reading a series of three books by Imogen Robertson, all set in the late 1700s, with a socially awkward anatomist who examines the bodies, and a bright and forward-thinking female side-kick who solve the puzzles. I love it!

one year in

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »

I recently read Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks Dyan.  Fantastic!  Must try Birdsong soon.  I like to leave a gap between authors!

san

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

I'm re-reading My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. Got the trilogy for Kindle. Started it last night.  :)

It's a very light story and makes me laugh in bits.

Oldteen

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »

Oh yes! I remember reading that for the first time when I was about 14, and have read it many many times, plus just about all of his other books.

I admire Durrell tremendously for what he achieved. He was poorly educated, couldn't spell, but a talented writer and dedicated pioneer  wildlife conservationist. One day I hope to visit his zoo on Jersey: the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust.

I never want to visit Corfu, as the world about which he wrote has gone, and I get the impression that the island has been ruined by the holiday industry. The site of the strawberry pink villa I believe is now a runway for the airport. :'(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:03:50 AM by Batty Old Bird »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27