Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Bookworm  (Read 96301 times)

san

Bookworm
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »

There seems to be quite a few of us that enjoy a book.
What are you reading at the moment? Romance, crime, biography ....

I'm reading Dan Brown The Lost Symbol. I've enjoyed the films The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons.

changesbabe

Re: Bookworm
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

Just finished 'the help'. Santa brought me it and I read it in a day and a half - loved it. Just about to start 'when god was a rabbit'. Bought my daughter 'one day' for her Christmas - hope to read that too. Have read a lot of dan browns books and liked them.  Xxx

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »

hi love reading books by anne murray they are all set in the 2nd world war and tell stories of everday life it amazes me just how women coped back then makes me realize how lucky we are today and yet we still moan  ;D dont we if the washing machine or dishwasher packs up  ::)

silverlady

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

Elizabeth Elgin is one of my favourites for books set during WW2 and just after.

http://www.lovereading.co.uk/author/147/Elizabeth-Elgin.html

Marcia Willett is another of my favourites

http://www.lovereading.co.uk/author/425/Marcia-Willett.html

I have always been a bookworm, but combine it with audio books now, that way I really enjoy the books in a different way,

silverlady x

one year in

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »

I'm reading a John Irving book called Last Night in Twisted River.  It's one of those books that has taken me ages to get into it but after the first quarter it's now starting to get a bit exciting.

John Irving is a great writer but this one doesn't compare with some of his other novels (so far anyway).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »

Read John Barrowman in 3 days; started a book about dementia in November which is a put down pick up one; began 2 others but can't remember the titles  ::)

"Or Is That Just Me?" - Richard Hammond
Freddie - by the man who 'kept' him, cared for his clothing, cats, houses etc..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:37:24 PM by CLKD »

viv

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

My author of the moment is Harlan Cobin. He is the master of the twist at the end that leaves you gob smacked.

You never see it coming.

He is also very easy on the eye  ;)

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

silverlady thanks for that i only have one more anne murray books to read so i will have a look at elizabeth elgin now  :)

silverlady

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »

Kerrieann

Found another author you might like.

Have just been finished listening to "The War Widows" by Leah Flemming. It was excellent and I have made a note of the other books she has written.

The Girls from Worlds End
Remembrance Day
Mothers Day
Orphan of War

Going to the library to reserve them.

Think you will really enjoy them.

silverlady x

silverlady

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

Love my kindle too Mrs P.

Just got back from the library, it was closed forgot it was half day ::) ::) OH was not impressed but I talked him in to going for a walk along the cycle path through the woods and he has cheered up now  :)

silverlady x

Margarett

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »

Loving my new kindle, and currently reading "The Lady of the Rivers" by Phillippa Gregory.

silverlady

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »

Loved that one Margarett, have it on audio book too.

silverlady x

Bette

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

Are any of these WW2 ones anything like Catherine Cookson? Just wondering as my mum loves her books.
Bette x

ariadne

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »

I have phases of liking certain types of book and currently its crime/thrillers. I'm reading Dead Man's Grip by Peter James, an author I like a lot. I've just finished reading "Shannon:Betrayed from Birth" by Rose Martin about Shannon Matthews, the little girl who was "kidnapped" by her own mother.

I have all time favourites that I re-read every so often and they tend to be those that my Mum gave me. I love the Miss Read stories of simple rural village life by Dora Saint and also the Derek Tangye books about starting a new life in a dilapidated cottage and running a flower farm in West Cornwall. I love the tales of their various pet cats and donkeys even though they make me cry. CLKD - you like those too if I remember rightly?

I like the sound of those WW2 ones by Anne Murray kerrieann :) Just had a quick look on Amazon - is it AnnIE Murray though?

ariadne xx
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:11:25 PM by ariadne »

silverlady

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »

I remember the Derek Tangye books, I use to love reading about all thier cats.

The Leah Fleming books are set during WW2 or just after in Lancashire, Yorkshire and I think Cornwall  and are very authentic.

The woman who reads Leah Flemming's audio versions, Margaret Sircome, is excellent and I can thoroughly recommend her reading "The War Widows"

silverlady x

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27