Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 62 out now. (Winter issue, Dec 2020)

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: Reading  (Read 2083 times)

Christine662

Re: Reading
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

Hi Silverlady

I'm pleased to see that too, am an avid reader. OH is the crossword fan in our house. So we are both doing good according to this article.

Stumpy xx

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

Hmm, not sure if I agree that reading can help prevent Alzheimers although it would be great if it's really the case. But so many people whose minds were definitely being kept stimulated by avid reading or by other means have succumbed to this disease and I do think that as no-one really knows what causes it, then we also don't know how not to get it.

My mum was widowed in her fifties when my Dad had a heart attack aged 54 but she kept herself occupied. She loved reading, creative hobbies and playing the organ and accordion. It didn't stop her getting Alzheimers sadly.

I think we can prevent senility by keeping the brain active, I'm just not sure we can prevent Alzheimers in the same way.

I do hope someone can find a way to beat that awful disease soon though.

ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »

My mum was an avid reader, borrowing several books per week from the library.  She also read the papers on a daily basis and took great interest in stocks & shares.  Unfortunately she got Alzheimers.  Her father developed it too and he wasn't a reader.  Her sister got it too.  Think it's in the genes. In my genes I have Alzheimers on my mums side and heart disease on my fathers.