Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: gall bladder problem ??  (Read 4124 times)

kerrieann

gall bladder problem ??
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »

hi everyone this meno lark or getting old is a right pain iwas given hrt patches 6 weeks ago and still havent started them first i went off the ciggies and onto an elctronic cig i got used to that and now for over a week i have been feeling really sick and 2 nights had terrible stomach craps other half wanted me to go to a & e but i sweated it out as we women do  ;D  then noticed i had pale coloured motions when i went to the loo sorry if thats too much info  :-[ had a look on internet and it seems to say gall bladder problems now reading on here i find that hrt can cause gall bladder problems  :( whats a woimen to do for the best  :-\

Bette

Re: gall bladder problem ??
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »

Hi kerrieann
Sorry you've been feeling rough  :hug:
The problem with the internet is that we can self-diagnose and get it wrong! I would have thought there are many possible causes for what you describe (motions are usually pale when they pass quickly through the intestine, for example. Mine are usually dark when I'm constipated, pale when I'm not.) I think you need to find out what it really is rather than assuming that it's a problem which HRT will exacerbate.
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »

You are describing classic symptoms of gallstones. I have lots of little gallstones and they were picked up 18 yrs ago and I have only had two attacks at the beginning and I had the awful pain under right rib up into shoulderblade  with extreme tenderness under rib and also the pale stools the next day.  I found that I could not eat pastry or melted cheese but other than that I am fine so instead of having gallbladder out I modified my diet and have had no more attacks. I have a liver function test every 6 months to check all is well.

If I was you I would certainly visit your Dr who can arrange for an ultrasound scan to confirm or not if you have gallstones and in the meantime only eat low fat food. Can you remember what you ate on the days before the attacks as it will be something you at if its your gallbladder. It was easy with me as it was specifically pastry that caused the attacks.

Bette

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »

This is from the Green Menu:-
HRT has been shown to increase the risk of gall bladder disease, particularly gall stones, thought to be due to an effect on bile composition. Transdermal (patch or gel)HRT is usually recommended with a history of gall bladder disease.
So it sounds as if patches are the way to go if you are found to have gall bladder problems and still want to try HRT.
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

northwest1965

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »

Hi kerrieann
Sorry you've been feeling rough  :hug:
The problem with the internet is that we can self-diagnose and get it wrong! I would have thought there are many possible causes for what you describe (motions are usually pale when they pass quickly through the intestine, for example. Mine are usually dark when I'm constipated, pale when I'm not.) I think you need to find out what it really is rather than assuming that it's a problem which HRT will exacerbate.
Bette x

Oh how I sympathise with you. I had mine taken out about 18mths/2yrs ago. The pain I had from the attacks was awful. Someone told me, they'd rather go through childbirth naturally than suffer with gallstones again (cant comment-not had kids)
Be carefu, if you are having attacks. I had a really bad one, a week before I was due to have op. Was really sick and got a stone lodged in the duct. Go get it confirmed. The op is simple and painless.

Skylark

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »

I had my gall bladder removed many years ago.  The pain from gall stones is excruciating and, like countrybumpkin says, goes right up into the shoulder blade.  I was always sick during an attack, after which I felt better.

The classic symptoms are very dark urine and very pale-coloured stools, along with the dreadful pain/sweating.

If this goes on for much longer, kerrieann, please do go to your GP and get yourself checked out.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

"Anthem" by Leonard Cohen.

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »

thanks everyone for the replies i have put up a post regarding the electronic cig as i have been puffing away willy nilly and iam wondering if i have been taking in far too much nicotine as when i checked out nicotine overdose it states nausea stomach pains etc  o god what am i like thought i was doing well  :(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

Ah - yes my friend bought nicotine patches that were highest strength and she hardly smoked and boy was she will when she stuck one on!  I remember  now thatt she was sick and had stomach pains. She got a telling off from the Dr if I remember.

If it is gallstones then the pain really is horrible andyou would have the pale poo next day as well.

If it happens again I would def get checked for gallstones anyway.

Val.M

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »

Hi kerrieann

My daughter recently had problems with similar symptoms and after an appointment with her GP, was sent for an ultrasound on her gall bladder area.  It only took 10 days from the GP appointment to the Ultrasound test :o 

I would definitely make an appointment to get this checked out - it can be diagnosed quickly. (Hopefully you will get a similar time frame for your problems.)

Valxx

blossom1965

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed 5 and a half yrs ago, and having gallstones is awful !!  I had n awful GP at the time and its took me a yr to get properly diagnosed and lost abt 3 stone in that time !

I was told that the stones are aggravated by perticually the fat in yr diet.. so eating a low fat diet helps a little for some ppl, helped me a bit at 1st.

My gallstones were diagnosed by a standard ultrasound scan because they were medium sized ( i had previously had an xray but they didnt show up on there) Now my sister had gallstones but her were so large they were spotted on a normal xray, now my husband had very small gallstones n they werent spotted till he had a MRI scan . My as a family we like to share things don't we lol ( all of us had them within 3-4 yrs) I was also told the bigger the stones the less they move around, the smaller they are the more nuisance they are.

So I hope that yr pain/sickness lessens and you get to the bottom of it. You will have to keep n eye on yr symptoms, and if u r worried and/or suffering lots definately see yr GP.

Take care
Jeanette

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »

HRT is also known to cause gall bladder disease.

Taz x