Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 62 out now. (Winter issue, Dec 2020)

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sorry bit of a crap thread here lol but need advice please  (Read 9592 times)

CLKD

Re: sorry bit of a crap thread here lol but need advice please
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »

I hate fybogel with a passion, I by-pass the middle man and tip it straight into our compost heap!  Senokot never worked.  For me too much fibre makes my bowel feel worse  >:( - home made runner bean chutney 'does it' sometimes  ::) in that the next morning I have a 'good result'!
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Firewalker50

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

Hi Elfie

The others have given you great suggestions to try so far.

My mum used codeine for years and became 'addicted' to them.  She also suffered from bad constipation at that time.

To add to the others, my suggestions would be:
* to drink lots of plain boiled water (you get used to it eventually!) and fennel tea.  The warmer
   water is kinder on our digestive system than cold water and it seems to help break down gas and
   waste.
* to use a good probiotic on a daily basis - even one combined with a pre-biotic.  You may need a   
   slow or sustained release probiotic. 
* Manuka honey - which someone else posted - and if you like to put honey in the fennel tea or
   water make sure you buy the stabilised version which can be used in hot drinks  (I know H&B stock
   a range).   
* When you are heading for or are in the 'bunged up' mode I would probably use high veg content  
   soup
rather than more solid food that is more difficult to digest and backs me up even more!

I agree that everyone is completely different and we have to find something that suits our own system and conditions.

Hope you manage to find a routine that suits you sooner rather than later Elfie.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

Add a dash of lemon juice to the warmed water or peppermint tea which is what I was givenfor heartburn after surgery.  Our chickens enjoy their water warmed in the Winter so there's soemthing soothing in the idea ;-).  Welcome to the thread Sunshineza!
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Val.M

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »

You need to be really careful with Codeine - can be very addictive and of course, as you know, very constipating ;)

I've used it on and off for years now but try not to use it more than once a day as a painkiller.  (Usually first thing in the morning to get my achy joints going!) Then go on to soluble paracetamol.  Can't take normal tablets - way too big :o

Must admit, it has never caused constipation for me - but I've always had issues with the other end of the scale ;)

Elfie - surely there must be some other types of pain relief that you could take which don't contain codeine?  Or perhaps they are not suitable??

Valxx

elfie

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

You need to be really careful with Codeine - can be very addictive and of course, as you know, very constipating ;)

I've used it on and off for years now but try not to use it more than once a day as a painkiller.  (Usually first thing in the morning to get my achy joints going!) Then go on to soluble paracetamol.  Can't take normal tablets - way too big :o

Must admit, it has never caused constipation for me - but I've always had issues with the other end of the scale ;)

Elfie - surely there must be some other types of pain relief that you could take which don't contain codeine?  Or perhaps they are not suitable??

Valxx
tried loads of pain meds tramadol which made me feel so ill. was out and almost collapsed.the dhyradcodien (sp?) work, ok not 100% pain free but means i can do stuff. tried going with out and the pain was so bad  :'( comes to living with a violent EX husband too many beatings im afraid.
and the other pain meds just dont help. but im hoping all the extra *help* that the docs given me will get me in a regular habit.

silverlady

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

Milk of Magnesia is very good if you take a little more then the recommended dose, that and glycerin suppositories.

Drinking hot water and lemon first thing in the morning and then glass of cold water can can stimulate peristalsis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis one of the more boring subjects we had to learn in A&P

silverlady x

elfie

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

Milk of Magnesia is very good if you take a little more then the recommended dose, that and glycerin suppositories.

Drinking hot water and lemon first thing in the morning and then glass of cold water can can stimulate peristalsis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis one of the more boring subjects we had to learn in A&P

silverlady x
dont think i can take that on BP meds :(
but im wayyyyyyy better now. eating better. no pain. even the yukky mood i had has gone  :)

Val.M

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »

Pleased to hear that you're feeling better Elfie :) 

I think the digestive system has a lot to answer for in the menopause :(  I've had more problems in the last few years than I care to remember....  Definitely a good idea to keep a "food diary" as recommended by Sunshineza.  I realised that I had a Lactose intolerance problem by this method.

Valxx

elfie

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »

ive rang the bladder and bowel ppl, (adverts on the tv ) and ive got 2 advice packs coming i also have a twitchy bladder. always needing the loo, and when i do go its a spoonful :(   and getting up every hour during the night is a right pain.
just feel that i have 1 good week where everythings good, im sleeping good. and then the next week im feeling crap again.
had the 24 hour blood pressure machine on yesterday and last night. that has bad timing. im on the loo (in town) and it goes off!!!!! then im trying on a pair of boots lol every 1/2 hour . and at night every hour. good fun. my BP is rather low,and they cant do nothing other than advise me to stand up SLOWLY  lmao
oh well onwards n upwards (but slowly of course) lol

elfie

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »

HAve you got VA elfie. It is a classic symptom feeling like you want to go to the loo all the time and then getting there and just doing a drip ?

xxxx
whats VA???

elfie

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

Vaginal Atrophy, the condition where the tissues in that part of the body go so thin due lack of oestrogen and make you feel like you want to wee all the time, but when you get to the toilet nothing happens. It's due to the urethra (the tube that connects to the urinary bladder) being embeded in the walls of the vagina.

xxxx
oooh dont think i have that, sounds horrible as well. i got my info from the B n B ppl. havnt read it yet. will do 2morow.
my doc put me on flotross which do help a tad. but i still get the *feeling* that i want to go, which wakes me up alot at night. right annoying when im up n down like a jack in the box. all the time
Pages: 1 [2]